Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-10-2003, 16:20   #106

Post Re: 1980'S BOARD

remember these?
lagwarmers..........

............ra ra skirts

jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-10-2003, 18:09   #107

SOMETHING FOR YOU TO READ...............
Wendy James, former lead singer of rock group Transvision Vamp and one of the originators of the ‘girl power’ movement, was born on January 21, 1966. Wendy spent her teenage years growing up in the British seaside town of Brighton. It was here, when she was 17, that Wendy first met future partner (personal and professional) Nick Christian Sayer. Wendy was covering Patti Smith songs in an after hours club. At the end of her set, Nick stepped forward to introduce himself and inquired whether Wendy would be interested in singing some songs he'd been writing.

For the next 18 months, Wendy and Nick wrote and recorded songs for a screen play they had written. Titled "Saturn 5", the film was to be set sometime in future and was centered around youth rebellion. The demo tape for Saturn 5 had six tracks, and served as their first demo to start flogging to record companies. Wendy and Nick moved to London, full of confidence in thier aptly named new band "Transvision Vamp", and were signed to MCA by the winter of 1986.

Transvision Vamp set about recording their first album titled "Pop Art," which would provide the public with four awesome singles. The first single, "Revolution Baby," did not do as well as MCA hoped, so it was followed up by a cover version of the old Holly and the Italians classic "Tell That Girl To Shut Up". The second single did fair a bit better, but it took the ‘arrogant and brattish noise’ of the amazing third single, "I Want You Love," to really get the band noticed. This song reached the Top 5 and catapulted Wendy into the limelight. Wendy was everywhere - radio, TV, and magazines. It was about this time that Wendy started to get herself a reputation as a bit of a loudmouth. Pop Art dove straight into the charts at number 4, and Wendy proudly announced that fact to the crowd Transvision Vamp were playing the night the charts came out.

1989 was a hectic year for Wendy and the Vamps. After releasing a remix of "Revolution Baby" and "Sister Moon", Transvision Vamp unleashed thier sophomore album, "Velveteen," to the world. This album landed on the top of the charts in the number one position. As soon as the opening riffs of "Baby I Don’t Care" hit the airwaves you knew the charts were screaming 'Welcome Back’. Wendy was everywhere. Promotion for the album saw Wendy and the boys travel through Europe, Japan and Australia. Subsequent singles included "The Only One", "Landslide Of Love" and "Born To Be Sold." Wendy and the boys set off on a world tour which had the band playing sold out tours in England and Australia. The tabloids went crazy over Wendy, especially her on-again-off-again romance with comic Roland Rivron. The end of 1989 saw Wendy James and the band take a well earned break that was meant to last only short time, but ended up with the band not releasing anything for 18 months.

1991 was meant to start off with a huge Transvision bang. Wendy had been extremely busy co-writing songs with Nick for the new album which was to be called "Little Magnets Versus The Bubble Of Babble". The first single off the album, "(I Just Wanna) B With U," was released in the UK around April 1991, but flopped badly and was savaged by the critics. A second single, "If Looks Could Kill, " did not fair much better. It was a shame really as both these singles still had the old Vamp sound as well as having a more mature sound to it. The British Press just couldn't see the music through thier hatred of the lead singer. It was around this time that Wendy caused a huge uproar by appearing semi nude on the cover of Britain’s "The FACE" magazine. Wendy’s public image was crumbling. Magazines were baiting Wendy into saying something controversial, and more often than not they got it. Comments such as “I’ll lay a $100,000 bet with any journalist anywhere that there won't be a point in my career where I win an Oscar,” and “Imagine the controversy when I am more famous than Madonna," layed waste to thier credibility. Towards the end of 1991, MCA announced that the Transvision Vamp's third album would never see the light of day in the UK.

Wendy and the boys embarked on what could end up being described as the bands farewell tour in the USA. They played a handful of dates in support of The Buzzcocks. It was while playing in Washington D.C., that Wendy sat down and wrote a now famous letter to Elvis Costello about her frustrations. When Transvision Vamp’s tour ended in San Diego, in what Wendy described as a flea pit, Transvision Vamp called it quits and went back to England.

Wendy found a package waiting for her. It was a tape of demo songs that Elvis Costello had written in collaboration with his wife that would soon form Wendy's solo album, "Now Aint The Time For Your Tears." Released in 1993, Wendy had spent five weeks recording the album in the South Of France. The first single, "The Nameless One," jumped feet first into the Top 40 before slipping out, never to make a recovery. The next two singles, "London’s Brilliant" and "Do You Know What I am Saying" both failed to chart, and Wendy was quietly dropped by MCA. It is said that Wendy had one of the shortest record deals, from the time she was signed to the time she was dropped, it was only about 15 months.

In 1995 however, Wendy James was signed by One Little Indian Records in London. She wrote, recorded and had plans to release an album titled “Lies In Chinatown.” She was even participated in a small interview for a UK newspaper promoting the album. Unfortunately record company politics got in the way, and only a small handful of copies of “Lies In Chinatown" are known to exist. The first single that was to be released is called "Without You ( I Want To Be Abused )." It is a very emotional piece of work, one that was going to give Wendy the song writing credibility she so rightfully deserves.

After the "Now Ain't The Time For Your Tears" and "Lies In Chinatown" fiascoes, Wendy

Old 31-10-2003, 20:30   #108
Senior Member+

It's no wonder i had'nt heard of her jason,after reading the post. ???
Old 31-10-2003, 20:35   #109

lol...it is a bit long but what the hell........stuff it........i got sick of the simple posts,and thought that wendy james fans or 80's fans might want to know what she is up to! ;D

Old 31-10-2003, 21:31   #110
Accy Goddess

Never heard of her.  ???
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 11:12   #111

oh no :-/...........lol

Old 01-11-2003, 13:12   #112
Junior Member+

transvision vamp......great!
becky hotlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 15:04   #113
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Have the Velveteen album (again on vinyl) somewhere. Aaah memories. ;D

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2003, 21:40   #114

good album.............

Old 01-11-2003, 21:45   #115
Filthy / Gorgeous

Remember the kids from Fame and the TV programme ( knew the legwarmers reminded me of something)  Also remember a group called Strawberry Switchblade, had a number one with a song called Since Yesterday then disapperared off the face of the earth. ;D

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
Old 01-11-2003, 21:47   #116

Strawberry Switchblade was formed in Glasgow in 1981 as a quartet with four girls. In 82 the group became a duo with Jill Bryson and Rose McDowall. They debuted in 83 with the single Trees and Flowers, but they didn't get a breakthrough until they released Since Yesterday.
As far as I know they have released two albums, but there could be more. Rose also did some solo stuff.

Old 01-11-2003, 21:52   #117
Filthy / Gorgeous

Knew you'd have some info Jason. Used to love Since Yesterday, had a bet on with my friend that it would reach number one and won a fiver. ( happy days)  

Old 01-11-2003, 22:15   #118

I TRY AND KEEP MY 80'S FILES UP TO DATE.........ADDING STUFF ALL THE TIME!
IF THERE IS ANYTHING ANYONE WANTS TO ASK ABOUT THE 80'S OR MAYBE YOU WANT A PICTURE OF A BAND,THEN LET ME KNOW AND I WILL TRY AND SORT IT FOR YOU! ;D

Old 02-11-2003, 04:01   #119
Resting in Peace

There is no need to SHOUT jason
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 12:38   #120

didnt realise i had caps on,it was late and i had quite a few beers,(no not cider)!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..