Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Anything Goes (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/)
-   -   I've Done My Panic Buying, Have You? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/ive-done-my-panic-buying-have-you-71037.html)

Less 17-03-2020 16:22

I've Done My Panic Buying, Have You?

Today was shopping day whilst the whole world collapses around us what did I buy?
A normal fortnight's goodies except...

...An extra couple of four pack beers if this IS the end of civilised society what better way to see it out?

Speak to you all after this coughing spell seaces.

Margaret Pilkington 17-03-2020 18:59

Re: I've Done My Panic Buying, Have You?

the only thing I have 'Panic bought' is a pile of paperback novels.(from the charity shops)
Yes I have lots of books on my kindle...but I believe that a Kindle could be dangerous when the crap hits the fan and we haven't enough bog roll(thanks to selfish individuals who feel that they NEED 14 - 9 roll packs)
At least with a novel you can tear a page out and use it to wipe you behind!

monarchylosis 25-03-2020 16:15

I bought groceries good for 2 weeks. But all supermarkets here are still operating except for the malls. The timings have shortened as well.

I made sure we got enough stock of milk, coffee, juice, lemon, honey, meds, sanitizers, meats, rice, bread and some desserts.

Poinsterity 15-04-2020 09:19

I bought lots of in-can goods, eggs, Vitamin C (sodium ascorbate), Ginger, Pure Honey. A bunch of those thinking it's all I need to survive this pandemic.

monarchylosis 16-04-2020 10:16

I've stocked up a pile of groceries good for a month as our lockdown was extended for another month. What a horrible year we have now. Lots of tragedies... I hope this coronavirus case ends soon.

DaveinGermany 20-04-2020 05:52

No panic buying for me, Drinks Markts are open so I can get my cases of Beer & there are more than enough take-away places between my works & home. :D

dotti34 22-04-2020 00:24

Regarding panic-buying, this should amuse you all. At the beginning of the epidemic, when the nutters out there were buying toilet paper like crazy and causing a shortage for those caught short, we all know that there were some unscrupulous characters who thought they would make a profit out of this situation.

Well it has back-fired on one such bloke over here. He enlisted the help of 20 others and between them they managed to get quite a quantity of bum-wipers. He then went on eBay advertising his wares at a highly inflated price but eBay soon disabled his account.

The man, desperate to offload his wares had the gall to approach the supermarket hoping to return the goods – and of course he was quickly told what he could do with his rolls, albeit most politely. He has now been left with 150 packages of 32 rolls in each, making a total of 4,800 rolls – oh, yes, and 150 units of hand-sanitiser.

Still it looks like he might know a lot of other bums, well at least 20…..….

Margaret Pilkington 22-04-2020 05:18

I hate to say this(NO you don't) but it serves him right.
That is karma.
The words in brackets were from my 'evil twin'

taddy 22-04-2020 10:10

I called into a Spar shop last week where I rightly had to "social distance" as they say; when I got to the wines/beer section I was suprised to find it fully stocked.
On asking a young female assistant if there were any restrictions on the number of bottles of "Hobgoblin" I could buy she said, "No Sir, you can buy what you want". I instantly ask for her hand in marriage.
Your's a happy Ludite.

taddy 22-04-2020 10:14

Sorry, should have said (asked) not ask

Margaret Pilkington 22-04-2020 12:13

So are we all invited to the wedding then Taddy?
And better still does your Hazel know?

DaveinGermany 22-04-2020 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1239403)
I called into a Spar shop last week

Just a little heads up here Taddy, is there a B&M's near you & if so, does it have a drinks section? (I know Southport & Ormskirk do) Might be worth a wee sneck, you may be pleasantly surprised by what's on offer (& the price). :D

Margaret Pilkington 22-04-2020 18:52

Son, we have a very large B&M and they do have an alcohol section.
So Taddy will be able to buy a few extra Hobgoblins with his savings.

taddy 23-04-2020 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1239410)
So are we all invited to the wedding then Taddy?
And better still does your Hazel know?

Yes, we don't have any secrets between us,(or maybe an odd one), I.E. the number of Hobgoblins that I take; (purely for medical reasons of course).
Your's Taddy, The Lancashire Luddite.

Margaret Pilkington 23-04-2020 09:57

So Hazel is happy to share?
I would just make a double check on that Taddy.....and before you do....remove all items that have sharp points or honed edges....it is for your own safety.