Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Anything Goes (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/)
-   -   Adopt A... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f71/adopt-a-71722.html)

Less 24-05-2021 08:51

Adopt A...

...Snow Leopard, Gorilla, Dolphin,Tiger, Polar bear, (other endangered species exist not just those mentioned).

Now, I don't wish to stop anyone from donating if they really wish,
however this is just not for me because the figures don't really add up and also at my age,
I really don't fancy the responsibility of feeding and mucking out after an Elephant, plus all those flights to and from Africa would ruin my carbon footprint.
There are around 66 million of us in this country alone, no doubt these ads are being transmitted to other Countries to add to their guilt fest as well, but lets just stick with the U.K.
If we can all adopt our own creature 70 million isn't exactly what I would call endangered, perhaps more like the threat of overpopulation?

Well of course not, when they say adopt, they are really saying, share the adoption of a,b or c which means you aren't being offered a complete animal for your 2 or 3 pounds a month (trade description abuse?).

Another part of the deal is a cuddly toy facsimile of the creature/s you adopt (what bloody use have I for a collection of cuddly toys?) this product is no doubt made from artificial fibres thus adding to the very global warming most of these animals are being threatened by.

The plight of animals is a concern for a great many of us I cannot see though how my spending monthly would help and if I were to adopt one of each of these beasts I would become endangered myself, I would starve to death not being able to afford to eat.
So rather than show favouritism by adopting only one or two at the expense of all the others I'll keep the money in my pocket thank you very much.

No animals were harmed by me during the making of this post others around the world however are guilty, make them pay.

dotti34 25-05-2021 07:00

Re: Adopt A...

Less, it is the same here. If I donated to every request for money that comes on the tv regarding animals and children I would not have anything left from my income for food to feed me.

Going back a few years now the grown-ups in my family decided to forgo buying Christmas presents for the adults, not even a Secret Santa. Instead we bought a sheep or maybe it was a goat, and apparatus for fresh water, that sort of thing, for people who lived in a poor country. Our ‘gift’ was acknowledged and we felt quite good about this. We did it for a couple of years, and my son also made a good donation the third year.

Then for the next few Christmases we were bombarded with requests for us to do this again. These requests were on really good quality paper and there was quite a bit of literature in the envelope. The total cost of sending this out, taking into account labour costs, admin, etc., would have taken quite a big chunk out of any gift money they received, much more than was used for the purpose it had been donated, I would think. Needless to say we have not contributed any more since then.

Less 25-05-2021 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1254173)

Then for the next few Christmases we were bombarded with requests for us to do this again. These requests were on really good quality paper and there was quite a bit of literature in the envelope. The total cost of sending this out, taking into account labour costs, admin, etc., would have taken quite a big chunk out of any gift money they received, much more than was used for the purpose it had been donated, I would think. Needless to say we have not contributed any more since then.

I don't know if the same applies in oz as here, 95% of all charity income can be claimed in 'Administration' fees,
which knowing the greed of most folk means very little goes to the real need but a very large amount goes to a small group of people that would otherwise have to get legitimate jobs so that they can continue to live off (or become) the fat of the land.

Margaret Pilkington 25-05-2021 12:49

I am a supporter of Macmillan Cancer Care.
I make cards and every penny I make goes to the charity.
I have been doing this for a few years now....but only last year did I donate in my own name...previously I donated through various coffee mornings and St Christopher’s school....who adopted Macmillan as their charity.
Since donating last year I have been bombarded with requests from the charity....leave a gift in my will...make a regular donation.....and other things.
While I want to continue donating....I want to do it on my terms.....and I am irritated by the ‘badgering’.
Macmillan do a grand job, but I just do not need prodding to give what I make.