Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-03-2012, 08:42   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Alcohol/Canal

Touche my good man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well it was Church wasn't it
Old 31-03-2012, 09:28   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
When I was about 10 I remember the canal behind my school in Clayton (St Mary's) swarming with police and we heard that a man's body had beeen found in the water...

Been doing some research this week and it seems there was a plaque commemorating the deaths of 68 men and boys in an accident in 1883 at the pit in Clayton, on the canal bridge nearby - wonder if it's still there?

Some of the boys were only 12, they came from Ossy, Church, Altham, Clayton and Accy...
There's a plaque that was put there a few years ago. Its a nice memorial to commemorate the disaster. I've feeling the original one disappeared.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 10:37   #18
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Evidently the plaque is still there ... on the Pilkington Bridge (I wonder if that has something to do with Margaret's dental work?) ... I can't for the life of me remember the Pilkington Bridge ... if it's not the Whalley Rd. bridge, it has to be east of there, towards Burnley.
Just for you, Eric

CanalPlanAC – Pilkington Bridge No 114C — Gazetteer

The Moorfield Pit Disaster

The plaque's on this bridge as it's the nearest to the colliery, I guess. As you say, east of Whalley Road, towards Burnley.
Old 31-03-2012, 11:42   #19
Rest in Peace

Never knew that bridge have a name.Always referred to it as the Burnley Road Bridge and the colliers wall, as the side looking to Clayton-Le-Moors on the road side the wall is 3ft 6ins high but to get over to the tow path it is about 15 ft high. The colliers who lived at the bottom end of Clayton walked on the canal tow path and climbed the wall, there are hand and foot holes in that side of the wall.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 12:25   #20
Senior Member+

Ive seen the mess referred to, and yes its covered in large cider bottles. They are frosty jacks cider for the most part, and I don't think the people who drink this stuff outdoors are worried about the environment, more where the next drink is coming from. There used to be more bottles than you see today, they got buried when the new paths were laid and surplus soil was put on either side of the towpath.
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 14:48   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Just for you, Eric

CanalPlanAC – Pilkington Bridge No 114C — Gazetteer

The Moorfield Pit Disaster

The plaque's on this bridge as it's the nearest to the colliery, I guess. As you say, east of Whalley Road, towards Burnley.
Sure you will know about the memorial too, Eric, just below Pilkington's Bridge.

This was a good thread where MickMc took some really excellent 'photos of it... #16.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ter-42372.html

The Prospects have also put a little one on the Whalley Road Bridge.

Clayton plus 007.jpg
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 19:31   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:
Evidently the plaque is still there ... on the Pilkington Bridge (I wonder if that has something to do with Margaret's dental work?) ... I can't for the life of me remember the Pilkington Bridge ... if it's not the Whalley Rd. bridge, it has to be east of there, towards Burnley.

Further to your interest in the plaques and memorial to the pit disaster, here are some pics I took this afternoon whilst the dog was taking me a walk, and yes he did pick up after me.

The plaque is attached to the bridge in Altham (Burnley Road). You can just see were the bridge is, the hump in the road just past the road sign, in the long shot picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1242.JPG (264.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1246.JPG (237.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1255.JPG (209.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-04-2012, 20:07   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Thats right Eric its the next bridge east from whalley road bridge, the next after that being fosters swing bridge , the next bridge after the swing bridge is what we used to call the pipe bridge which carries the thirlmere pipeline over the canal
Old 05-04-2012, 12:41   #24
Junior Member+

I think the pipes are from Haweswater.
OscarUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 13:21   #25
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarUK View Post
I think the pipes are from Haweswater.
Your post prompted me to do a bit of research and I think you are right as I discovered that the water goes all the way from Thirlmere to Manchester on an aqueduct - 96 miles long - apart from a tunnel under Dunmail Raise. An amazing feat!
Old 09-04-2012, 16:55   #26
Senior Member+

ah found the pic on the memory card-- I had thought I had lost it

Old 09-04-2012, 18:04   #27
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Your post prompted me to do a bit of research and I think you are right as I discovered that the water goes all the way from Thirlmere to Manchester on an aqueduct - 96 miles long - apart from a tunnel under Dunmail Raise. An amazing feat!
You are both right the water comes from Thirlmere and Haweswater to Manchester.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 19:12   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
You are both right the water comes from Thirlmere and Haweswater to Manchester.
Thats true the haweswater pipeline joins into the thirlmere one about one and a half miles from manchester.
Old 09-04-2012, 19:33   #29
Senior Member+

I think this is the pipeline you are all refering to, it is within sight of the foster swing bridge. Went walkies today past it, it was belting down at the time as you can see by the canal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1424.JPG (203.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1429.JPG (215.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1432.JPG (229.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-04-2012, 19:38   #30
Senior Member+

Thats right dave its exactly the one, good canal weather that always seemed to be belting down when we were replacing lock gates. It always seemed worse in the bottom of a mud and trolley filled lock

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..