Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2012, 20:06   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Alcohol/Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Thats right dave its exactly the one, good canal weather that always seemed to be belting down when we were replacing lock gates. It always seemed worse in the bottom of a mud and trolley filled lock
I am surprised that barges can actually sail along on the canal, I walk it most days ineither directions from Blackburn road, Clayton. The rubbish that is either floating or partially submerged baffles me. Bottles too numerous to count, wheelie bins, fire extinguishers, fencing posts, children's prams are just a few of the things observed. The stuff that sinks such as tires bikes and other stuff are only visible when the water is clear as usually its murky
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-04-2012, 20:31   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
ah found the pic on the memory card-- I had thought I had lost it

thats pretty much how the council leaves my garden after recycle collection day but cant clean up the mess they make because of health and safety from what i was told.

As for that mess if an area was ever in need of comunity service folk it was there rather than landing cushy jobs in charity shops make them tidy mess like that up

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 23:03   #33
I am Banned

it's been known for me to pass that way ive seen said bottles and i think most if not all the empty alcohol bottles are down to 1 being(homeless/tramp/social outcast)....shame really
AccyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:26   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
I am surprised that barges can actually sail along on the canal, I walk it most days ineither directions from Blackburn road, Clayton. The rubbish that is either floating or partially submerged baffles me. Bottles too numerous to count, wheelie bins, fire extinguishers, fencing posts, children's prams are just a few of the things observed. The stuff that sinks such as tires bikes and other stuff are only visible when the water is clear as usually its murky
Thats about right dave , you name it and it is in the canal and i have pulled most of it out over the years, including the odd body
Old 12-04-2012, 20:37   #35
Senior Member+

I noticed the a fire extinguisher other day. How the hell does that get in there? Nearby company perhaps?
Old 12-04-2012, 20:52   #36
Senior Member+

I think over the years i worked on the cut the strangest things i pulled out where a good dozen sex toys, a false leg and a perfect half crocodile (Made of wood) which gave us bit of shock to say the least when it popped up in the lock at the side of the boat
Old 13-04-2012, 07:42   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
I noticed the a fire extinguisher other day. How the hell does that get in there? Nearby company perhaps?
I noticed that too, when I first spotted it ,it was in the water close to the dunkenhalgh way bridge over the canal, it then appeared close to the wharf at clayton, now it is close to the swing bridge on its way back to church. Does this mean there is some type of flow on the canal as most objects appear to move?
Old 13-04-2012, 07:45   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
I think over the years i worked on the cut the strangest things i pulled out where a good dozen sex toys, a false leg and a perfect half crocodile (Made of wood) which gave us bit of shock to say the least when it popped up in the lock at the side of the boat
What type of one legged pervert have we got here, or is this over a period of time
Old 13-04-2012, 18:52   #39
Senior Member+

Quote:
What type of one legged pervert have we got here, or is this over a period of time
Yes dave it was over a period of time,and the canal does have a "flow" water does move in that where there are locks in a canal when water is drawn down to fill them it does create a flow. And the Leeds Liverpool also has bywash weirs which keep the areas of water (pounds or ponds they are called) between the locks topped up with water which is drawn from the main length of the canal, which also creates a "flow" and boats make water move when they are sailing past because they draw water under and around them with their propellers.
Old 13-04-2012, 21:48   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes dave it was over a period of time,and the canal does have a "flow" water does move in that where there are locks in a canal when water is drawn down to fill them it does create a flow. And the Leeds Liverpool also has bywash weirs which keep the areas of water (pounds or ponds they are called) between the locks topped up with water which is drawn from the main length of the canal, which also creates a "flow" and boats make water move when they are sailing past because they draw water under and around them with their propellers.
That makes sense, you tend to think of a canal as static water.

As the canal is always my starting point for a walk I ten to notice the same crap on a regular basis, I have noticed that a specific piece of rubbish, take the extinguisher for example, will move in one direction for a period of say a week or two, and will then reverse direction and go back the way it came. I first spotted the extinguisher close to the Emerson and Renwick building in Church, it was then spotted moving toward Clayton, and was spotted adjacent to express gifts between the two bridges over the canal in Clayton, the last time I saw it , it was in the vicinity of Riley's swing bridge.

At the expense of sounding like a rubbish nerd I have never noticed flotsam move in one direction and keep going indefinitely without a reverse at some point.

I will stop there as I am starting to sound a bit anorak
Old 13-04-2012, 22:53   #41
God Member

Quote:
That makes sense, you tend to think of a canal as static water.

As the canal is always my starting point for a walk I ten to notice the same crap on a regular basis, I have noticed that a specific piece of rubbish, take the extinguisher for example, will move in one direction for a period of say a week or two, and will then reverse direction and go back the way it came. I first spotted the extinguisher close to the Emerson and Renwick building in Church, it was then spotted moving toward Clayton, and was spotted adjacent to express gifts between the two bridges over the canal in Clayton, the last time I saw it , it was in the vicinity of Riley's swing bridge.

At the expense of sounding like a rubbish nerd I have never noticed flotsam move in one direction and keep going indefinitely without a reverse at some point.

I will stop there as I am starting to sound a bit anorak
That is brilliant, I for one hope you take the time to give the latest updates about the vicinity of the fire extinguisher.
It would also be interesting to note how close this item comes close to the edge of the canal or wether it floats mid-stream over a longer period.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 22:58   #42
Senior Member+

I have seen it close to the side
Old 13-04-2012, 23:08   #43
God Member

Quote:
I have seen it close to the side
I would not wish to question your observations but can you be sure it is the same fire extinguisher?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 23:12   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I would not wish to question your observations but can you be sure it is the same fire extinguisher?
If there is some a** dumping them up and down the canal then maybe not
Old 13-04-2012, 23:16   #45
God Member

This 'ship spotting' and 'flotsam spotting' is the latest trend for anorak persons.

It beats sitting on a railway platform doesn't it

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..