Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-03-2012, 18:08   #1
Senior Member+

Alcohol/Canal

I have been known to take a walk up coppice in nice weather(like what we had recently) and maybe I will take a few beers with me-- I always take them up inside a plastic bag inside my rucksack and I always bring them back home again for recycling.

I have been known to take a walk home from work via the canal and in the hot sunny days of summer-- I might get a couple of beers and walk back home with them in the sun.

Some may see this as antisocial behaviour-- Its not something I do all the time. Subjective to personal opinion I suppose.

Has anybody seen the work they have done on the canal? I guess it would be nice to ride a bike along there now. As I have gotten older-- I have grown to appreciate the nicer parts of Accrington. Its a nice walk along canal; skipping the cars, people and houses.

But this what peeed me off the other day-- I took a walk along canal from Clayton to Church as I was going to the doctors at the acorn centre. Whereabouts I leave the canal near Express Gifts-- I spotted a total mess.

Has anybody been this way lately?

I was in wonder how somebody can have so little appreciation(though obviously from what I said above-- I never had it growing up) for the effort made to make the canal tidy.

There must of been around 12-15 empty three litre bottles of cider, a dozen or so empty cans and empty vodka bottles. Has somebody had a big party here? Idiots-- what is wrong with taking the bottles home with you; or putting them in a bin or whatever.

Anybody that is nearby there should take a look-- I am left wondering if somebody at Express Gifts in Church cannot make it through a days work without having a drink or something.
Old 29-03-2012, 18:16   #2
God Member

Re: Alcohol/Canal

Thats the argument for minimum pricing on alcohol.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 18:49   #3
God Member

looks like its time to fill in the canal in and destroy the surrounding area so it puts drinkers off

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 21:41   #4
God Member

Driking by the canal can be dangerous ... someone could get so drunk that he might fall in and sober up I know; it happened to me about 50 years ago
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 23:43   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Driking by the canal can be dangerous ... someone could get so drunk that he might fall in and sober up I know; it happened to me about 50 years ago
luckily back then there would have been a pub or two along the bank for refueling

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 30-03-2012, 01:36   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
luckily back then there would have been a pub or two along the bank for refueling
This is true. No shortage of them ... ahhh the good old days Unfortunately they were all closed at that time of nite. And I had empty pockets ... it had come down to a choice between the No. 1 bus home, and six penneth of chips. Chips won out.
Old 30-03-2012, 06:24   #7
Senior Member+

I guess the albion was good for that

I taken a picture of the mess but I damaged my phone so I just need to get the pic off the memory card sometime
Old 30-03-2012, 08:10   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Thats the argument for minimum pricing on alcohol.
It's nothing to do with alcohol really - if it's not beer tins or vodka bottles it will be pop bottles and tins. It's peoples lack of respect for their environment, same reason people don't pick up their dogs mess. It's happens all over the country everywhere.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 08:17   #9
Resting in Peace

Time to put the benches back in the town centre me thinks
Old 30-03-2012, 09:02   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
no jaysay the method that works is that if a minority cant be controlled and made to obey the law then everything they like to use is removed so everyone has to go without

Old 30-03-2012, 09:13   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
no jaysay the method that works is that if a minority cant be controlled and made to obey the law then everything they like to use is removed so everyone has to go without
Sorry forgot the rules have changed
Old 30-03-2012, 22:49   #12
Senior Member+

well if it is those people; they have had to go quite a bit out of their way to carry on being undesirable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Old 30-03-2012, 23:18   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
When I was about 10 I remember the canal behind my school in Clayton (St Mary's) swarming with police and we heard that a man's body had beeen found in the water...

Been doing some research this week and it seems there was a plaque commemorating the deaths of 68 men and boys in an accident in 1883 at the pit in Clayton, on the canal bridge nearby - wonder if it's still there?

Some of the boys were only 12, they came from Ossy, Church, Altham, Clayton and Accy...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 07:59   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
When I was about 10 I remember the canal behind my school in Clayton (St Mary's) swarming with police and we heard that a man's body had beeen found in the water...

Been doing some research this week and it seems there was a plaque commemorating the deaths of 68 men and boys in an accident in 1883 at the pit in Clayton, on the canal bridge nearby - wonder if it's still there?

Some of the boys were only 12, they came from Ossy, Church, Altham, Clayton and Accy...
Evidently the plaque is still there ... on the Pilkington Bridge (I wonder if that has something to do with Margaret's dental work?) ... I can't for the life of me remember the Pilkington Bridge ... if it's not the Whalley Rd. bridge, it has to be east of there, towards Burnley.
Old 31-03-2012, 08:17   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
well if it is those people; they have had to go quite a bit out of their way to carry on being undesirable
Well it was Church wasn't it

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..