Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 14:36   #1

Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony

I've just spent the last 2 hours watching the live TV coverage of the Opening Ceremony from the Olympics in Beijing.

I'm not sure what level of coverage it will get in the UK, but if you get the opportunity to see it, you cannot fail to be impressed.

The London 2012 team will certainly have a hard act to follow.
Old 08-08-2008, 15:51   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padiham Lass View Post
I've just spent the last 2 hours watching the live TV coverage of the Opening Ceremony from the Olympics in Beijing.

I'm not sure what level of coverage it will get in the UK, but if you get the opportunity to see it, you cannot fail to be impressed.

The London 2012 team will certainly have a hard act to follow.
Just spent2hours avoiding it and will for the next 2 weeks
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 15:53   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Me too beni I'v been watching Cricket
Old 08-08-2008, 15:54   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

make that 3,
Old 08-08-2008, 15:54   #5
God Member

Quote:
.....me too......
and football starts soon as well

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 15:56   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I can predict you'll spend a lot longer than 2 hours avoiding it and being a helpful and loyal friend I'll share the effort of not watching.

P.S. I have declared my house an Olympics free zone so don't call around here to discuss it, I will show you something heavier than a Chinese tank to take your mind off it!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 16:23   #7
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I give you all fair warning, if someone comes on here when the gymnastics are on and say's something along the lines of, "Miss Baggypants was a wonderful performer", they will be reported to the authorities!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 16:26   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I can predict you'll spend a lot longer than 2 hours avoiding it and being a helpful and loyal friend I'll share the effort of not watching.

P.S. I have declared my house an Olympics free zone so don't call around here to discuss it, I will show you something heavier than a Chinese tank to take your mind off it!
Not much of an effort,you 'aint got a telly.

I may tune in to watch the Iraqi pass - the - parcel team
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 17:35   #9
God Member

Bad timing for them there olly-imp-ics...do they not realise that the beautiful game returns tomorrow......?
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 17:43   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
Bad timing for them there olly-imp-ics...do they not realise that the beautiful game returns tomorrow......?
... and that the hockey season is just around the corner
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 18:15   #11
Resting in Peace

What a load of grouchers you are !

I admit to watching the whole 4 hours of it and was absolutely magnificent, the lighting of the torch was the ultimate finale and very emotional.

You cannot but admire the enthusiasm of the Chinese population to welcome the world to their city. Ok.. know they have been sheltered against any political ramifications, but the costumes, fireworks and technical images were 5-star.

I am not sure that it is all necessary though, seems a little exorbitant sometimes, and very competitive between the host cities. I am sure we will make a decent contribution in 2012 with not so much military precision of thousands of bodies (15,000), which was a little over the top at times. Felt proud of Sarah Brightman .. lovely performance.

Eric .. you can watch your ice hockey every year, this is only 16 days, every four years of the world's best athletes..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 18:16   #12
Senior Member+

Well i watched it for 5 mins & totally enthralled the cat was tooIt meeowed to me that the fat china man couldnt keep up with the unfurling banner type thing 100ft in the air....then the banner could'nt keep up with himNice fireworks though .....cats estimate over 5 million quids worth over here....£25 over in Bejing.Whens the dominoes?
Old 08-08-2008, 18:31   #13
God Member

you folks are lucky , you have been given the chance to watch it live or not , here in the "land of the free" the TV company with the broadcasting rights have decided only to show the opening ceremony on tape delay in prime time , that is this evening , meaning the folks on the east coast (New York) will get over 12 hours late , and us on the west coast (California) will have to wait over 15 hours ........what a load of rubbish .....this from a country who's President is calling for human rights and more freedom . Just prooves that censorship is okay providing greed and money is involved.
reminds me of watching the newsreels in the cinema during the 50s.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 18:35   #14
Resting in Peace

Well, Bush and his lady got to see it live at least ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 18:54   #15
Resting In Peace

London cant compete with Beijing in 2012 they will have some guy shouting ready, steady, go. and that will be it.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..