Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 22:52   #106
Member.

Re: Big Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Charlie reacted quite well. She was shocked Emily used the word, and never complained to BB. In fact Emily seemed to think there was no problem using the term. It's a word plainly offensive, in whatever context, but to say it to a black girl, even as a joke, is out of order.

She's thick, and 4 had no choice but to boot her out.

I’m sorry Gary. Yes the word was offensive in any context. I agree with that, but the Charlie girl clearly manipulated the situation by continually referring the issue and by engaging the whole of the house by the end of the night. Just giving any one listening enough to get the picture and keeping the issue going. She herself used the word herself in a far different tone on multiple occasion as did Nicky at least three times but no action was taken against them.

Obviously it’s ok for the afro Caribbean population to use the word extensively and for a minority of coloured people to make millions of pounds each year using the word in music that can be heard on any street corner, but why when some silly little uneducated bitch says it trying to be hip we have a major incident.

I wanted the nasty sod out as well but I wanted the public to decide that.

Nicky to Win.........

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-06-2007, 23:01   #107
Give, give, give member

It is about context. Young black men have reclaimed the word, and use it to call each other it all the time, just as they used to use the word brother, and it is part of Gangsta culture, which Emily clearly isn't.

They were all warned about offensive behaviour, especially in the light of the Shilpa Shetty row, and she was naive to think it wouldn't be jumped on by the producers.

Nicky, a sensible young women, was physically shocked, and stunned, when Emily came out with it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 23:08   #108
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
You have used that racially offensive word in public, twice.

What do we do now, do we seek to have you thrown out of Accyweb?
I did not use it, Channel 4 used it in a transcript of the conversation!

I would never dream of using it. But like davo said would you be in trouble for calling him a scouser?? Would one of them be booted for calling Laura something nasty for the Welsh?? There are so many different terms that some people deem "racist" and others don't, where do we draw the line?

I think the fact that Charley has used the word aswell and not been punished ins't right. Channel 4 said in thier statement the Emily used a word that could be deemed offensive to other housemates and the viewing public, so why was Charley's use of it not deemed offensive to the viewing public even if it wasn't to any other housemates??
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 23:13   #109
Give, give, give member

It's all good publicity for Big Brother.

Old 07-06-2007, 23:20   #110
Member.

Quote:
Nicky, a sensible young women, was physically shocked, and stunned, when Emily came out with it.
You will know by now that Nicky gives me the hots, but I'm sorry she was as amused as much as she was shocked.

Lolly. the big red thing coming out of your cows mouth was in my cheek when I made that comment. I'm sorry I hope you wern't shocked and stunned. but I love you too.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 07-06-2007, 23:21   #111
Member.

Quote:
It's all good publicity for Big Brother.
True bro true.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 08-06-2007, 10:29   #112
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Lolly. the big red thing coming out of your cows mouth was in my cheek when I made that comment. I'm sorry I hope you wern't shocked and stunned. but I love you too.
I know thats why I put the at the end!!
Old 08-06-2007, 14:37   #113
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
I know thats why I put the at the end!!

Nice lips Lolly, but I preferred you when you where a cow

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 08-06-2007, 15:55   #114
Resident Waffler

If Emily has black friends who use the word amongst themselves and she uses it to them in the same context and they do not take offence but take it from her as they would from each other and even throw it back at her then it's understandable that Emily would not consider it offensive to use that word to Charlie in the same way she uses it to her friends.

If she had come out with a statement which was designed to insult and offend then that would be different. The problem with this word is that it does get used a lot and Emily appears to have been using it in that same sort of context, which Charlie then picked up on and turned against her, which to me seems on the surface to have been the more racist and offensive act.

One of my daughters has a friend who uses the p word in her MSN ID - well it rhymes with Accy and sounds good. When my daughter uses it to identify her friend is she then being racist?

Sometimes I think we need to step back and look at the intent behind the use of a word which can either be offensive or not and to stop allowing ourselves to be so intimidated we end up being afraid to refer to common everyday items like blackboards for fear of offending someone. From Lolly's transcript it simply looks as if Emily was encouraging Charlie to dance and picked upon a word that she had heard Charlie herself using. It makes me uneasy when we have rules for one race of people which do not apply to others. Surely it is distinctions like this which are racist. If a half Indian girl can use the word without being reprimanded why should anyone else be condemned for doing so? Half Indian is not the same race as African or of African descent or Afro-Caribbean (which I'm not even sure we're allowed to say nowadays.)

Yes by all means stamp out racism but lets get a grip on what racism actually is.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 20:17   #115
Senior Member+

Hello
i think its very stupid all this racist things, people from other countries that live in england call us names as well, what about that? do we have to take all the rubbish from them, im spanish but my family is english and people called spaniard, its a word that most people use but to us is an offence but we dont go crazy about it i thinks its stupid
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 23:48   #116
Resident Waffler

Excuse me if I've misunderstood but are you saying that to call you Spaniard is an insult? I am confused by that. If people call me a Brit it doesn't bother me because I am British but sometimes the word has been used with the intention to offend years ago when I was in Ireland and that was different. This is why I say it is not so much the word as the intention behind the word which is relevant.

If the word "Spaniard" is insulting what term do you prefer? It's so easy to offend people without meaning to.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:20   #117
Give, give, give member

If you can believe what you read in the soar away Sun, little Emily isn't exactly whiter than white, if you'll excuse the pun, when it comes to matters of racial sensitivity.

The Sun Online - Big Brother: Em was halfwit at Auschwitz

Old 09-06-2007, 10:33   #118
Member.

Quote:
If you can believe what you read in the soar away Sun, little Emily isn't exactly whiter than white, if you'll excuse the pun, when it comes to matters of racial sensitivity.

The Sun Online - Big Brother: Em was halfwit at Auschwitz
Interesting. The only problem I would have is that it is not uncommon for people to come out of the woodwork and stick the boot in, particuly if they gain some exposure and a few bob for their trouble. However, the girl was arrogant and insensitive and has been punished for what she actually did say and not what others accuser of.

I think most people will have muttered something insensitive or potentially racist in the privacy of their own homes or amongst their own peer groups, in some respects we should maintain the right to self expression but; we should always engage the brain and common decency before opening the gob.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 20-06-2007, 21:14   #119
Senior Member+

Aaaahhh!! Did anyone see Liam's reaction to getting the £100,000. Bless!

He was so shocked he couldn't talk and was shaking!
Old 20-06-2007, 21:17   #120
Give, give, give member

That was so cool. I hope he enjoys the hundered grand.

I bet there'll be a mass exodus tomorrow, from the other money hungry housemates.

Tags
tv entertainment

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..