Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2015, 20:28   #1
Senior Member+

Charging devices while hiking

As some may know,I like to go camping from time to time.
Now,a problem I suffer while hiking out on the hills is my devices keep running out of power.

Im going to be undertaking a project to solve this problem,All my devices obviously need electricity,I've have used spare batteries,power banks etc to try and keep them running but sooner or later they all run out.Solar chargers are a waste of time and money in my opinion when you need sun most it“s either raining or other circumstances that makes it impossible to charge with them (even in a sunny day it takes too long to charge and input that charge into my devices)....Batteries are good but very encumbering. I have looked for alternatives but they are either too expensive or far too large to carry around.

One thing that I always have with me,even on the longest treks is fire in some form or other so with that in mind, I've been fascinated by the idea of producing electric from a camp fire.I know, the efficiency will probably be poor but its possible.
So, with inspiration from a project I seen on YouTube using T.E.Gs (Thermoelectrical generators ) I'm thinking of building a 'cheap' teg charger.

My main goal is to produce a 5v usb from a (self cooling) gadget.Ive ordered the generators from eBay and was wondering if anyone has any experience or advice on this issue?

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-05-2015, 23:11   #2

Re: Charging devices while hiking

No problems, they work O.K., but not much current unless you get a large temperature between hot and cold junction.
Why not try a wind up generator, you could cannibalise a cheapo windup torch quite easily.
Accyexplorer likes this.
umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 23:49   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire View Post
No problems, they work O.K., but not much current unless you get a large temperature between hot and cold junction.
Why not try a wind up generator, you could cannibalise a cheapo windup torch quite easily.
What a ruddy good idea,thanks for that
I've also ordered a few 0.9v-5v to 5v usb step up modules so in theory I only need to create a couple of volts and the module should do the rest and stablise the current to 5v (I think/hope)
I was thinking of using hot water boiled on the campfire and normal air temperature water out of my water bottle (difference of approx 70+ degrees) to create a current using them T.E.G things.

password--Accyweb
Old 10-05-2015, 00:06   #4

The single led torches knock out about 1.5v at 20ma, about a fiver at H***b**se last I saw. There are bigger ones about which will supply more current.
umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:04   #5
Senior Member+

There are wind up charging devices specifically made to charge phones or USB devices.
eBay sell them. £16 post free.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:15   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Best solution to me is stop going hiking, it saves yeh money also.
DaveinGermany and Gremlin like this.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:58   #7
Senior Member+

I bet Edmund Hilary didn't need electricity to climb Everest.
The outdoor life is all about getting back to nature and going without luxuries.
I learnt the hard way over 55 years ago living in a tent in winter, no hot water or 'leccy and a big rough sergeant major shouting in my lug 'ole at five am calling me horrid names because I was still not up and shaved.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:20   #8
Beacon of light

Russell, they don't know they are born these days
maxthecollie likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:25   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
There are wind up charging devices specifically made to charge phones or USB devices.
eBay sell them. £16 post free.
I've thought about wind up chargers and after messing with a old torch I have and a doctored charging cable it turned out to be as useful as a astray on a motorcycle...Plus I've spent £25 on components from EBay already

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Best solution to me is stop going hiking, it saves yeh money also.
Trust you to come up with the logical solution to my dilemma

Quote:
The outdoor life is all about getting back to nature and going without luxuries.
I learnt the hard way over 55 years ago living in a tent in winter, no hot water or 'leccy and a big rough sergeant major shouting in my lug 'ole at five am calling me horrid names because I was still not up and shaved.
Reminds me of that status quo song about being in the army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Russell, they don't know they are born these days
My old phone would be more encumbering than my Idevice tho M
image.jpg

password--Accyweb
Old 10-05-2015, 10:37   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Been there, done that, would have got the T-shirt but they didn't have them in those days
DaveinGermany and Gremlin like this.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:37   #11
Beacon of light

and a lot less useful
Old 10-05-2015, 13:54   #12
Senior Member+

Where have you been there and done that Barrie?
Climbed Everest or slept in a tent in winter with a sergeant shouting at you?
I wanted to climb Everest after it was first done but my boss wouldn't give me time off work. I was serving my apprenticeship and he said it was a better option.
Old 10-05-2015, 14:09   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Where have you been there and done that Barrie?
Climbed Everest or slept in a tent in winter with a sergeant shouting at you?
I wanted to climb Everest after it was first done but my boss wouldn't give me time off work. I was serving my apprenticeship and he said it was a better option.
Never even considered Everest except to admire it from the air - and it was Flight Sergeants that were the bane of my early life - and mid-life period
Gremlin likes this.
Old 05-06-2015, 18:54   #14
Senior Member+

My TEG's and step up modules came today and after sourcing a couple of heat sinks from some old Pc towers i made this contraption:-

DSCF5550.jpg

I know,it's a quality build and you probably think i bought it but i can assure you i made it

password--Accyweb
Old 05-06-2015, 21:17   #15
Beacon of light

Well done you!
I would not have a clue where to begin.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..