Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Less
  • 2 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 3 Post By taddy
  • 1 Post By DaveinGermany
  • 1 Post By DaveinGermany

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2021, 08:28   #1

Cheers, dears!

Here’s a thread that should interest at least some of you, that is if you are over 70 and healthy. According to Monash University research a glass of wine or beer a day, or up to 10 a week, is better for your overall health and heart than no alcohol. How’s that!

In the study done researchers found that with moderate drinking of alcohol there is a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease and also a lowering of mortality from all causes.

It did say ‘standard’ drinks, but I expect you will have your own interpretation as to what is standard, and no doubt some of you will have BIG glasses.

Unfortunately too many drinks will have a rather different affect. Will be interesting to hear some comments.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-11-2021, 09:23   #2

Re: Cheers, dears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Here’s a thread that should interest at least some of you, that is if you are over 70 and healthy. According to Monash University research a glass of wine or beer a day, or up to 10 a week, is better for your overall health and heart than no alcohol. How’s that!

In the study done researchers found that with moderate drinking of alcohol there is a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease and also a lowering of mortality from all causes.

It did say ‘standard’ drinks, but I expect you will have your own interpretation as to what is standard, and no doubt some of you will have BIG glasses.

Unfortunately too many drinks will have a rather different affect. Will be interesting to hear some comments.
BIG Glasses!
Reminds me of the time when I was driving home one night at around midnight. The police were doing their usual midnight controls and of course I was asked if I had drunk any alcohol, which I replied with a yes, how much asked the constable, I said "just a glass of wine at a reception for some overseas visitors that we had in our factory", to which he replied "well come over here where we'll breathalyse you and see how BIG the glass was". Needless to say, I was well within the limits and just drove off.
Cheers
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:54   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

How come jobs like this study were never advertised before I retired? I spent over 50 years looking for the perfect career, that would have suited and I would never have had a day off throwing a sickie or wasted time on holidays!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 10:19   #4
Beacon of light

Less, you would have gone into work with a spring in your step…..and come out oxo-ing.
And maybe you might have got fed up and some days said….’not red wine again…when is the beer delivery due’.
Less and DaveinGermany like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 16:27   #5

Many years ago I worked from home as a mobile fork lift truck mechanic for a national forktruck rental company, one day I was asked by my manager if I could attend to a breakdown the following day at a haulage company in the Scottish Borders, the only stipulation was that I needed to be there for 0800 hours. I set off at around 0500 hours and arrived in plenty of time, after sourching the parts needed and completing the repair I left in the late afternoon, it being a nice warm day I pulled of the M6 and onto the A65 to Kirkby Lonsdale,when I got to Clapham I called in for a pint, (only one) at the Station Hotel, feeling refreshed I carried on until I was pulled up by a traffic Plod just south of Settle, why I do not know but anyway the plod in the blue serge suit asked me "have you had a drink today sir", to which I replied yes, "Oh how many drinks have you had then sir", to which I again replied, well, all day maybe six or seven; at this his eyes lit up as he asked me, "would you mind taking a breatheliser test, not at all I answered, when the test proved negative he said "what have you been drinking sir" to which I said well from leaving home in the early hours until now I must have had four or five pots of tea, the odd cup of coffee and one pint of ale, as this is a family site I cannot give you his snarling answer. Oh but I enjoyed it.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 16:37   #6
Beacon of light

Taddy…..you naughty boy……but I liked you getting one over on the Bobby.
Old 08-11-2021, 17:31   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Good on yer Taddy.
Old 08-11-2021, 17:59   #8
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post

I'll stick with the Bayerische standard thank you very much, 1 Maßkrug
taddy likes this.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:40   #9

Dave, what is the trick that the blonde haired angel in the photo is using to be able to pick up and carry all that foaming nectar ?
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:13   #10
Beacon of light

Taddy….she has muscles in her spit!
Old 09-11-2021, 18:26   #11
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Dave, what is the trick that the blonde haired angel in the photo is using to be able to pick up and carry all that foaming nectar ?

It's her super heroine skill gawd bless 'er! The marriage proposals she's probably had would no doubt be 3x more than the amount of hot dinners you & I have had added together.
taddy likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..