Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 08:14   #1
God Member

Child Benefit

I see its gone up 70p a week as of this week
Old 08-04-2008, 08:23   #2
JJ_

Re: Child Benefit

wooooooohoooooooooooo (not) lol
does that buy a loaf of bread or milk nowadays lol
JJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:56   #3
Senior Member+

Is that per child?? Or is a lesser ammount for the 2nd child?
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:34   #4
God Member

i dunno Em, i was getting £18.10 a week for reece and now i get £18.80, you should have had a letter already, i got mine about a month ago
Old 08-04-2008, 09:40   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
Is that per child?? Or is a lesser ammount for the 2nd child?

45p for second child if I recall correctly.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:03   #6
God Member

Steady girls, dont show too much excitement, and dont spend it all at once, they will soon steal it back, in triplicate!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:10   #7
JJ_

lol @derek
yeah aint that the truth !
JJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:32   #8
God Member

It is a fairly recent innovation to pay anything for a 1st child.
That change happened during my parenting of an 'only one'.
It is expensive to raise a child, but everyone has the choice of whether to have them.

There are better ways to hand out public money,- by not giving it to those families who dont need it, and increasing the payout to those that do.

Family Allowance (as it was called) was a government tool to encourage an increase in population.

Do we really want that nowadays?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 14:40   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It is a fairly recent innovation to pay anything for a 1st child.
That change happened during my parenting of an 'only one'.
It is expensive to raise a child, but everyone has the choice of whether to have them.

There are better ways to hand out public money,- by not giving it to those families who dont need it, and increasing the payout to those that do.

Family Allowance (as it was called) was a government tool to encourage an increase in population.

Do we really want that nowadays?
We've had this conversation on here before, Margaret.

I think that child benefit should be means tested. I think it's ludicrous that it is given to everyone with a child.

This means that the likes of Madonna, Cherie Blair, Victoria Beckham are eligible for it. What do they need child benefit for? What a waste of money.
Old 08-04-2008, 14:43   #10

wow thats a huge amount,think ill book a holiday lol
lancscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 14:51   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
We've had this conversation on here before, Margaret.

I think that child benefit should be means tested. I think it's ludicrous that it is given to everyone with a child.

This means that the likes of Madonna, Cherie Blair, Victoria Beckham are eligible for it. What do they need child benefit for? What a waste of money.

why are they not entitle to it, im sure famous people pays tax as well
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 14:54   #12
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

wait untill it goes up to £20 next year!!

I think ill book that holiday!!
Old 08-04-2008, 14:55   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolanda25 View Post
why are they not entitle to it, im sure famous people pays tax as well

It's not the fact that they are famous, more the fact that they have a lot of money. To me giving child benefit to people who earn over a certain amount is money squandered.
Old 08-04-2008, 15:03   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
It's not the fact that they are famous, more the fact that they have a lot of money. To me giving child benefit to people who earn over a certain amount is money squandered.
I'm in agreement with you on this one.

I didn't know it at the time, but apparently my dad used to send our Family Allowance, as it then was, to a charity that paid for children in the third world to have cataract operations to restore their sight.

It does seem strange that it isn't means tested. I'm sure 99% of my fellow fee paying school mates didn't need it either, yet we were all entitled to it.

I was always suprised that Mrs Thatcher stopped free school milk, yet allowed this benefit for all to continue.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 15:05   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'm in agreement with you on this one.

I didn't know it at the time, but apparently my dad used to send our Family Allowance, as it then was, to a charity that paid for children in the third world to have cataract operations to restore their sight.
Aaaah what a lovely thing to do.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..