Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2015, 14:59   #16
Beacon of light

Re: Christmas Traditions Of Your Own.

When I was a little girl...a damn long time ago.
Christmas was the one and only time that we were allowed to have wine...well it was Port.
My dad said we could all have a 'damp' glass...this meant that the port was mixed with water......and it was served in liquer glasses...not much bigger than a thimble.
One year my dad was given a bottle of Cinzano Bianco...he thought that this was an innocuous drink and didn't bother to dilute it for us......it was vile.
So much so that I lifted the lid of the piano and poured mine into the workings of the instrument.
My mother could not understand why the piano sounded terrible and why some notes would not play......well, that is, until she looked under the lid.......it all became clear the sticky driok had got onto the strikers.......she never found out which one of us was responsible untill many many years later.
By then I was too big to be clouted and was faster on my feet than she was
Less, dotti34 and Stevie R like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-12-2015, 10:13   #17
God Member

This year ive volunteered to do a 13 hour shift on the ward on Christmas day, Reece is 19 now and isnt really bothered about Christmas, he would rather spend it with his girlfriend, we will have a nice meal on Boxing day
Less and Margaret Pilkington like this.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:58   #18
Beacon of light

Flashy, you are a star.....and those who are in your care on Christmas Day will be very pleased to be looked after by someone who WANTS to be there.
I used to enjoy my working Christmas days....they were different and special.....we worked, but we also had fun and lots of laughs.
Old 07-12-2015, 16:37   #19
God Member

Margaret, my colleagues think everyday working with me is special, been there for over two years now and they know im crackers....as do the patients, love my job

Christmas traditions went out the window years ago...there's nowt normal goes on in my house anymore ;-)
Old 07-12-2015, 17:45   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Wrong Less I just couldn't stand the relatives, I've never been a real believer in christianity or any of the other religious crap, and its festivals most of them are a mixture of pagan ritiuals and so called christianity most of which was selected from the various vesions of the events about jesus's life, most of them written 100's of years after his death, and compiled into the king James bible, as for Dec 25th being his birthday that was guess work calculated from his supposed conception.
Then again there have been so many changes to the calender system over the past 2000 years who the ell knows what day is which, Its just the same with the muslims, they can't agree which version of the koran is the right one, seems like there are prodistants and catholic sides in all these religions.
But none of this matters ... what is important is Christ's message of peace, getting along ... all that kinda neat shiite. Doesn't matter that he probably never existed, that there is no historical record apart from a brief mention by Tacitus who wasn't born until about 60 years after his "death." Oops getting pedantic. What is important about Christmas is that it gives us the opportunity to put negativism on hold for a day or so. It's kinda like a cease fire. Lighten up; give it a break; have a good time.

Every Christmas eve, when it is peaceful and the critters are having a quiet time, and we are all in the living room, I read them the Christmas story (Luke 2: 1-20 for all those friggin' heathens out there.) I don't know what it does for them; but it makes me feel good.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 19:34   #21
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Margaret, my colleagues think everyday working with me is special, been there for over two years now and they know im crackers....as do the patients, love my job

Christmas traditions went out the window years ago...there's nowt normal goes on in my house anymore ;-)
Goodness me..it only feels like two minutes.
I am glad you enjoy your job...there is absolutely nothing better than finding something you love doing and getting someone to pay you for it.

There is nothing wrong with being Crackers...although back in my day we called it Crawfords or Jacobs Syndrome(both companies make cream crackers).
flashy likes this.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:23   #22

When my kids were growing up there were also a number of other children in our street. Once their own presents were opened on Christmas morning it was part of the fun to visit the other kids and vice versa to see what they had got for Christmas. Not to compare but to share in each other’s enjoyment.

When the big day came we knew that all the preparations, all the pre-Christmas hassle, had been so worthwhile. Nowadays we are very fortunate in that on Christmas Eve we go to my youngest son’s and stay overnight so that we are there on Christmas morning and can share the joy of watching our two young granddaughters open their presents. Children make Christmas.

My offspring are now adults and for the past umpteen years have taken it in turns to host Christmas Day for the family. A few years ago we decided on having a Secret Santa so each of us had only to buy one present. It wasn’t the buying of the presents that was the concern but what to buy. Having S.S. certainly made it easier. The young ones in the next generation of course would still get presents – it really is THEIR special time.

Then we decided to donate to a charity instead of buying the S.S. present. Bought lambs, water purifiers, goats, that sort of thing. Did it for three years but this lead to many repeated requests for donations throughout the year that were accompanied by glossy brochures, etc., which would probably have bought another goat. Put us off doing it.

So now we spend the day together, those of us who can, presents only for the young ones – as one of my daughters said ‘your presence is the best present’. Have a ‘non-traditional’ lunch that starts at 1 p.m. and goes on into the night.

This year will be spent in the beautiful wine district of the Clare Valley at my daughter’s place and we are all staying overnight – so can really relax, partake and enjoy. By the way, she has promised to do a snake reconnoitre before the traditional game of backyard cricket………..
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 15:25   #23
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I must be getting into the spirit of Christmas, I've been searching the T.V. listings to try and find when the Great Escape is on.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 16:05   #24
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
to try and find when the Great Escape is on.
Manchester Airport departures board, anything heading somewhere remotely warm, sunny & dry. Also where its pretty safe to assume English will be spoken, they do a full English, curries, fish & chips, sell John Smiths & Carling Lager plus a subscription to Sky Sports! Merry Christmas indeed.
Old 12-12-2015, 16:10   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Manchester Airport departures board, anything heading somewhere remotely warm, sunny & dry. Also where its pretty safe to assume English will be spoken, they do a full English, curries, fish & chips, sell John Smiths & Carling Lager plus a subscription to Sky Sports! Merry Christmas indeed.
Sounds good to me.
Get away before we all drown!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 17:08   #26
Beacon of light

There was a man at Jewsons this morning ordering wood by the cubits(and it was more than threehappence a foot)......I think he said his name was Noah...and he was going to start a cruise line for pets.
Old 12-12-2015, 18:08   #27
Senior Member+

From Facebook -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12311133_10207949046901715_7221589635864138764_n.jpg (80.9 KB, 11 views)
DaveinGermany likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 18:41   #28
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
There was a man at Jewsons this morning ordering wood by the cubits(and it was more than threehappence a foot)......I think he said his name was Noah...and he was going to start a cruise line for pets.
What an over optimistic man he must be, all that wood? They'll never deliver before Christmas, he'd be lucky to get an oak dining room table or a three piece suite delivered in that time.

Plus does he not know, this is an EU Country, he will have to convert his order into metres or it just won't be accepted.

As for the pets does he have a veterinary certificate for each one proving that it is healthy and disease free which will allow him to take them on board his boat?

What about a sea worthy Certificate? Once it's built it will need to be fitted with the minimum amount of lifeboats or he won't be allowed to sail.

All those animals, all that waste, he will need containers to store it, it's illegal to just throw stuff over the side nowadays, got to keep the environment clean for future generations. (Ah, a problem, if he can't get it built and set sail in time there won't be any future generations).

Perhaps he should have a few words with whoever it is that has given him this job and find out if there is a way through all the red tape?

Last edited by Less; 12-12-2015 at 18:44.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 18:58   #29
Senior Member+

Ahh, hell, it's Christmas.

Just let them drown.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 19:05   #30
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
What an over optimistic man he must be, all that wood? They'll never deliver before Christmas, he'd be lucky to get an oak dining room table or a three piece suite delivered in that time.

Plus does he not know, this is an EU Country, he will have to convert his order into metres or it just won't be accepted.

As for the pets does he have a veterinary certificate for each one proving that it is healthy and disease free which will allow him to take them on board his boat?

What about a sea worthy Certificate? Once it's built it will need to be fitted with the minimum amount of lifeboats or he won't be allowed to sail.

All those animals, all that waste, he will need containers to store it, it's illegal to just throw stuff over the side nowadays, got to keep the environment clean for future generations. (Ah, a problem, if he can't get it built and set sail in time there won't be any future generations).

Perhaps he should have a few words with whoever it is that has given him this job and find out if there is a way through all the red tape?
Less, he had two donkeys, oxen, elephants.etc etc.....he was taking it with him

I think he was doing it for himself.....he looked like he was the boss.....as for EU regulations....he put two fingers up to those.
(Think he had the right idea with that one).

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..