Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2015, 20:24   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Christmas Traditions Of Your Own.

Just thought it might be interesting for us to share HAPPY Christmas traditions that we and our families may have developed over the years.

For me it was a few years after I became a parent, we didn't go out Christmas eve we'd be preparing the big day for the kids.
I would take over the kitchen and start baking tray after tray of mince pies, not, because my mince pies were of exceptional quality often they were mishapen lumps of either undercooked or over cooked dough. The reason I would do this was simple, it kept the kids entertained as they attempted to assist in rolling the pastry, cutting the shapes, filling the trays and fitting far too much mince meat into them.

It didn't matter that when we'd finished the kitchen looked like a snow storm after all we wanted a white Christmas and this way it was guaranteed!
The very last tray would have the special pies, one each with the childrens names on, one for Mum, one for dad AND a very important one for Father Christmas.
One year we experimented with one filled with grated carrot for Rudolph it was awful never to be repeated.
While the last tray was cooking their Mum would take them for a bath and to change into their Christmas Pyjamas then kids would get the place ready, mince pie and a large shot of Brandy for the night time visitor (no namby pamby Santa will have milk he's driving in this house, after all, he's in a magic sleigh and already flying so one little drink won't make any difference).

I knew my children were growing up when making the mince pies gradually became a chore rather than an excitement, "at last", I cried, "we are free to once more go and share Christmas eve with the revellers", though every Christmas since then has had a slightly empty feeling about it, No it hasn't I now see my kids creating their own Christmas traditions that are guaranteed to keep my Grandkids happy.

If you have a miserable tradition feel free to post it in here:-

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ord-67786.html

Though I have to warn you the thread starter has made himself the centre of attention on that one so don't expect a great number of comments about it.

Eric and dotti34 like this.

Last edited by Less; 05-12-2015 at 20:29.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-12-2015, 20:38   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Christmas Traditions Of Your Own.

Our Christmas tradition was that the elves and fairies visited the house on Christmas Eve before Santa came......and they put the tree and decorations up.
This went on for almost a decade......then one year my daughter was looking for something in the built in wardrobe in our bedroom......she climbed up to the top shelf and hauled down a very large bag with decorations, baubles and tinsel in it....and then the tree followed it.
She was buried beneath all the festive decorations.
I had to tell her that the fairies and elves had got so busy that they no longer had time to bring the stuff with them.....so they had left it in their 'secret place' ready for the next Christmas.
I think we only managed one more year of believing....but the tradition of not putting the tree up until Christmas Eve remained.

I don't put many decorations up these days.....And they come down as soon as possible once the festive season is over......no waiting for twelfth night.
Eric and dotti34 like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 22:34   #3
I am Banned

I've never realy enjoyed christmas other then when the kids were little, and to see their faces when they woke up. I always volunteerd to work chiristmas day, then I knew when I got home all face aches relatives wuld have gone, then I could enjoy playing with the kids
Eric likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:39   #4
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I've never realy enjoyed christmas other then when the kids were little, and to see their faces when they woke up. I always volunteerd to work chiristmas day, then I knew when I got home all face aches relatives wuld have gone, then I could enjoy playing with the kids
This post belongs in the 'c' word thread.
This threads is for happy traditions......or it was!
Old 06-12-2015, 09:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
This post belongs in the 'c' word thread.
This threads is for happy traditions......or it was!
Not sure your right Margaret, read it again, there are a couple of positives hidden away in there. He enjoyed Christmas when the kids were small & Played with them after spending the day at work thus making sure he didn't upset relatives with his presence.
That surely makes it a worthwhile tradition?
Old 06-12-2015, 09:47   #6
Senior Member+

We used to split our Christmas Day shifts so that the chaps with young children were there at home to be with the children. The ones with older children. or the single chaps would cover the early morning shifts and be relieved about midday - result, everyone happy, and they were the ones that got New Year's Eve off.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:36   #7
Beacon of light

I cannot remember having Christmas day off while I was working...but like you Barrie...we split our shifts so that those who were on an early shift went off at 2pm and those on a late shift came in just before 2 pm.
Christmas day at the hospital wasn't so bad for either the staff or the patients. most of those who stayed in Christmas day would have had no-one at home anyway......so they got warmth, company...a visit from Santa and a tot of something(if medically allowed).

Yes Less, you are right......retlaw did enjoy Christmas when his children were little(he would have been a strange kind of parent if he didn't enjoy seeing his children enjoying the festivities)....but the post still had a carmudgeonly tinge to it...or is it just me reading something that isn't there?
Old 06-12-2015, 10:42   #8

Quote:

Yes Less, you are right......retlaw did enjoy Christmas when his children were little(he would have been a strange kind of parent if he didn't enjoy seeing his children enjoying the festivities)....but the post still had a carmudgeonly tinge to it...or is it just me reading something that isn't there?
Just Retlaw getting ready for Christmas, he puts extra effort into being miserable over the holiday period.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:12   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Not sure your right Margaret, read it again, there are a couple of positives hidden away in there. He enjoyed Christmas when the kids were small & Played with them after spending the day at work thus making sure he didn't upset relatives with his presence.
That surely makes it a worthwhile tradition?
Wrong Less I just couldn't stand the relatives, I've never been a real believer in christianity or any of the other religious crap, and its festivals most of them are a mixture of pagan ritiuals and so called christianity most of which was selected from the various vesions of the events about jesus's life, most of them written 100's of years after his death, and compiled into the king James bible, as for Dec 25th being his birthday that was guess work calculated from his supposed conception.
Then again there have been so many changes to the calender system over the past 2000 years who the ell knows what day is which, Its just the same with the muslims, they can't agree which version of the koran is the right one, seems like there are prodistants and catholic sides in all these religions.
Restless likes this.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:41   #10
Beacon of light

Retlaw...in the main you are right.
December 25th is a symbolic date for the birthday of Christ...no-one alive really knows the true date of his birth....and this date is close to the Festival of Samhain which the pagans celebrated...it was felt that the pagans would take much more kindly to religion which had a festical close to one of the pagan celebrations...and they would convert to the Christian faith...and they did.

What you choose to believe is your choice....and in reality Christmas is not very much about religion, it is much more about commerce.
You will even see Muslim parents out and about buying gifts for their children to celebrate a festival to which they have little allegiance(they do believe in Jesus, but only as a minor player in the religious pantomime...a bit along the lines of the inn keeper).

Relatives are what come with your lady.....or face ache as you call her......you must have some too...do you feel the same disregard for those on your side as well?

As I said, a carmudgeonly tinge to the post.
Old 06-12-2015, 13:09   #11
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Used to be about the 2nd week-end of December, on the Sunday afternoon, there'd be a pot (usually very large ) of "Glühwein" with a decentish dollop of "Schüß" (that's Rum, Brandy or Amaretto, take your pick or all 3 if you like) chuntering away to itself on the hob. A CD of suitably Christmassy ditties playing away in the background & then the foolish attempt at co-ordinating setting up & out the dekkys & tree to give "Chez Williams" a jaunty festive air.
If I managed to survive the previous efforts without to much trauma, I'd then attempt to write the crimbo cards to be sent to the nearest & dearest.

Also while serving, we' head off into the camp, grab a couple of the "Singlies", who'd nothing to do, drag 'em back to the house & take them on as "Family" for Christmas day & boxing day, proper home cooking & as much Ale as they could manage, then at some point deposit them back at the Barracks gate.

They may have been roughie-toughie Soldiers, but it's still nice to be with a family at Christmas.
Old 06-12-2015, 13:34   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Retlaw...in the main you are right.
December 25th is a symbolic date for the birthday of Christ...no-one alive really knows the true date of his birth....and this date is close to the Festival of Samhain which the pagans celebrated...it was felt that the pagans would take much more kindly to religion which had a festical close to one of the pagan celebrations...and they would convert to the Christian faith...and they did.

What you choose to believe is your choice....and in reality Christmas is not very much about religion, it is much more about commerce.
You will even see Muslim parents out and about buying gifts for their children to celebrate a festival to which they have little allegiance(they do believe in Jesus, but only as a minor player in the religious pantomime...a bit along the lines of the inn keeper).

Relatives are what come with your lady.....or face ache as you call her......you must have some too...do you feel the same disregard for those on your side as well?

As I said, a carmudgeonly tinge to the post.
I had relatives on my side my parents and two sisters all my other relatives died along time ago, or I never knew them. once I left home I never celebrated xmas until it was forced on me by face ache, as for sending xmas cards thats her business, if any one is daft enough to send me one it goes in the recycle with out being opened, so I don't know who the silly beggar is, even when at work on that day, I did not join in with the others in their festivities, but kept to myself as for food I took sandwiches. I may be curmudgeonly, but logic tells me its all a waste of time, its only for the children, the money grabbers, and the stupid god botherers. I have no relatives I don't have any left, as for friends I don't have any or want any, although I know many people, they are what you would call aquaintances, If I'm out, and spot any of the people who I used to work with, I try my best to avoid them.
Old 06-12-2015, 14:43   #13

Got to admit, this thread is now as miserable as the the C one! Any chance of hearing from folk that don't want to stick krimbo where the sun don't shine?
It needs a bit of a lift.
Old 06-12-2015, 14:53   #14
Beacon of light

As I said Less the contribution from Retlaw is carmudgeonly...and I know carmudgeonly...I can be a little carmudgeonly myself at times.
I am glad that i didn't woek with you on Christmas Day Retlaw...you must have been a right peal of joy bells.
I know that Christmas can be a trial for some...and for some it can be a sad and lonely time.
But for those who have friends and family ......just smile and wish them the greetings of the season...that you think that should be long the the lines of Paxo(get stuffed) should be between you and your conscience.
Old 06-12-2015, 14:55   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post

They may have been roughie-toughie Soldiers, but it's still nice to be with a family at Christmas.
Same thing DinG, invariably had a singly or two for Christmas dinner. The one in Borneo was a bit different - Christmas Lunch served by the officers and SNCOs (not enough officers and we were still operational), bombed by thousands of toilet rolls by the Beverleys aircrews and then seriously bombed by the Tiger beer, Bacardi and anything else that was alcoholic - didn't have a Boxing Day that year. Flew to Singapore on 27th in an Argosy which was agony. But all go into the mystique of Christmas and the many happy memories.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..