Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gordon Booth

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2014, 04:13   #1

Dogs and their 'doings'

Here’s a bit of mind-blowing information for all you dog lovers, or at least will make you laugh. If you think that your dog randomly chooses where it goes to the toilet you are wrong – according to an article in our newspaper. Here is some information from the article:

“According to a Czech study, dogs not only align their bodies with the Earth’s north-south axis when going to the toilet but this position can be affected by the slightest of fluctuations in the magnetic field.
The researchers found that in the morning dogs tended to position their bodies towards the west, but would shift to an easterly direction in the afternoon, BUT only when the magnetic field was ‘stable’ – when it sits along the existing axis and isn’t fluctuating.
The magnetic field can become ‘unstable’ during solar flares – and when this happened the dogs’ positions were more random”.

So, if you are out exploring, don’t bother with a compass just wait for your dog to do its business to point you in the right direction – as long as it’s not during solar flares. Then you would be up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

Wonder how long this research took, and why????
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-01-2014, 18:50   #2

Re: Dogs and their 'doings'

Do you have a link, Dotti?!
That's ..I don't want to say fascinating... I can't admit to be fascinated by canine toilet habits!

My dog kind of walks around in a semi-circle whilst she does it, which drives me nuts as it makes it harder to pick up!

And yes what compelled somebody to do this study?!Beyond me!
Old 04-01-2014, 20:01   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower49 View Post
Do you have a link, Dotti?!
That's ..I don't want to say fascinating... I can't admit to be fascinated by canine toilet habits!

My dog kind of walks around in a semi-circle whilst she does it, which drives me nuts as it makes it harder to pick up!

And yes what compelled somebody to do this study?!Beyond me!
yeh Max likes muck spreading.Sometimes he backs up to a wall
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 20:20   #4

Hi Sunflower - Apparently the study took 2 years, and 70 dogs!!!! Imagine being asked 'what do you do for a living?' - 'oh! I'm currently studying the potty habits of dogs'. Yup! who's the potty one, then!!!

If you really meant it that you wanted a link to the story just put 'Does the Earth's magnetic field affect dogs' potty habits?' into Yahoo, though I originally got the story out of our newspaper.
Old 04-01-2014, 20:43   #5

..it's also on Google, of course.
Old 05-01-2014, 17:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
yeh Max likes muck spreading.Sometimes he backs up to a wall
That's interesting, every male dog I have had, or walked has backed into hedges or mounds of grass/plants a lot of the time. Female dogs have been more random.

Of my Sister's dogs, Max doesn't stray far from her and backs into hedge or undergrowth, Peggy (female) runs off away and does it-which again drives my Sister nuts as she has to run after her and try to keep track of where she's done it, otherwise she can't pick it up! She says she spends half their walk looking for Peggy's dumps as she doesn't want to risk being accused of not picking up after her dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Hi Sunflower - Apparently the study took 2 years, and 70 dogs!!!! Imagine being asked 'what do you do for a living?' - 'oh! I'm currently studying the potty habits of dogs'. Yup! who's the potty one, then!!!

If you really meant it that you wanted a link to the story just put 'Does the Earth's magnetic field affect dogs' potty habits?' into Yahoo, though I originally got the story out of our newspaper.
I assume the main purpose of the study is to pick up (ah, ha ha) how dogs sense the magnetic field and why.

Dogs Align With Earth's Magnetic Field While Pooping, Study Finds | The Escapist

The Daily Fail have covered it .
Do dogs align their bodies with the Earth's axis when going to the toilet? Canines found to be affected by magnetic fields | Mail Online
Old 05-01-2014, 18:12   #7
Senior Member+

It's hard work now with all the dead leaves around to pick up
Old 05-01-2014, 18:42   #8
Senior Member+

If you're going to pick up all the dead leaves at the same time Max is welcome to poo in our garden!

I've just checked, our main loo points from North to South so I'm OK.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 20:39   #9
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=Gordon Booth;1089561]If you're going to pick up all the dead leaves at the same time Max is welcome to poo in our garden!

I've just checked, our main loo points from North to South so I'm OK.[/QU
We haven't got a big enough bag
Old 05-01-2014, 21:04   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
We haven't got a big enough bag
Wow, Max must be a heck of a big Border Collie!
Sunflower49 likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:50   #11
Full Member+

We used to have a border lakeland that we got from a rescue centre and about half the time he used to back up and do it over a grate. I often wondered if his previous owner had trained him to do this but it was very handy. Clever little chap!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..