Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-09-2007, 00:16   #16
God Member

Re: Freecycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
we hyad one over here some weeks back asking for a camcorder for her nan because her nan had bought one of a conman on b/pool seafront and when she got it home it didnt work , so could it please be one with a pull out screen and not too big for her nan to hold and in full good working order .. i was absolutely gobsmacked ..
Did she get one?
Old 21-09-2007, 11:08   #17
God Member

i noticed the other day that someone wanted a car
Old 21-09-2007, 11:47   #18
Resident Waffler

I think it's time I signed up and listed a few things I want. House in the south of France?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2007, 12:30   #19
God Member

I've given a car away before now. it had been sat on my drive for 12 months and I was getting nowhere near it. I reckoned it needed time and effort to pass an MOT and I couldn't be bothered. I gave it to a frind who jump started it, put some new wipers on it and passed its MOT

he was happy to get a car for next to nowt and he owed me a big favour in return.

Its a bit like that guy who swapped a paper clip for one thing and for another till he got a house. If your cheeky and use your initiative thers money to be made

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:57   #20
God Member

just got this email from freecycle, thought i'd share it with you

Dear Members

We have been experiencing a spate of Hoax Offer Messages.

Please rest assured the Moderating Team are addressing the issue
promptly.

Please can we ask that you all be cautious when expressing an
interest in items.

Please beware if you see an address in a post or get an auto reply
with an address and a message like:

'1st here gets it' or 'you're the first to reply'

This means that

everyone else is getting the same information and it is now a 'who
gets there first situation'.

2. it may be a scam or someone playing a childish prank. Harassing the
residents of that address.

3. it may be a scam and the address being given is actually empty.

We are aware there have been such offers over the past couple of
nights. Some are listed below.

offered laptop 2 year old
offered 6 boxe's of laminate flooring
offered peugeot car
offered mini moto
offered mountain bike
offered Hi-Fi
offered DJ Decks

The Moderator team would like to apologise if this has ever happened
to you.

Many Thanks for your understanding and continued support

The Moderating Team
Old 05-10-2007, 20:37   #21
God Member

Really dodgy isn't it, dont think I'd go and pick anything up on my own, could just be pranks but I suppose you never know who's going to be at the house when you get there.
Old 05-10-2007, 20:45   #22
God Member

I have left things outside on my landing for collection. On the rare occasions I have collected something I have always arranged it for daylight hours and it has been in an area I know locally to be decent - I would have given backword on an item if the district was 'dodgy'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 21:52   #23
Resident Waffler

I've quite often given my address to AccyWebbers to come and collect stuff. Only once have I regretted it when the person later became quite aggressive and nasty. I was actually quite worried for a while that they knew where I lived.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 21:59   #24
God Member

I am quite fortunate to live in a block of 4 flats with a communal stairway - any noise in the stairwell is heard and provokes response. There are 3 men in the other 3 flats (and 4 men in the block next door)- as the only woman around I feel they are protective towards me (especially since I am the only one who bothers to clean the stairway )

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 22:24   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Only once have I regretted it when the person later became quite aggressive and nasty. I was actually quite worried for a while that they knew where I lived.
I have been told before that once Chav has been round for a brew you can't get rid of him
Old 20-10-2007, 10:14   #26

Hello, just wanted to drop in another perspective about peoples wants on Freecycle etc.

The groups usually have limits on how many wanted posts they can make, if someone wastes a wanted post with something really stupid then it is thier loss, the rest of the group just laugh at them & ignore them and they now have less opputunities to ask for sensible stuff.

However, nothing is too good to give away, cars, caravans, plasma tv, conservatories, expensive hifi systems etc all get given away (I have seen them). So what do we call an extravagant item & say "thats too much to ask for" ?

If you dont ask you dont get, and if its something small that people are likely to have kicking around in the shed etc then your likely to get it.
If you do ask for something that's extravagant then not only do you not get it, but when you do ask for something more basic you dont get that either as people will look up your previous posting history.

At the moment the BwD group is run by some US based international moderators who set it up after its previous owner went awol, they are of the mind not to limit anyones posts, hopefully things will get better when the current moderator gets to take over.

As for moderation of people, when someone joins - yes they are moderated to ensure that they can post correctly, but after they have shown that they can follow the simple subject line format (and its amazing how many cannot!) and have posted a few offers they can be taken off of moderation & are free to post. It doesn't always happen as the people running the groups are volenteers & just like the rest of us have a life to live & cant always commit the time to searching & identifying people.

And as the offers to help from people (other than those that just want to profit from it) are few far between there remains delays & moderation galore.
Luckily the mods have a Firefox plugin that really helps them or all hell would break loose.

Apologies for the spelling errors, for some reason my checker isnt working.

Matty.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 17:29   #27
God Member

just seen this

i'll give her a slap if she really wants one

Yahoo! Groups

Last edited by flashy; 17-02-2008 at 17:32.
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 18:08   #28
Senior Member+

lol.... someone just asked for a nintendo DS.....

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 19:08   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
just seen this

i'll give her a slap if she really wants one

Yahoo! Groups

ha ha thats not something people usually ask for
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2008, 19:13   #30
Senior Member+

what did it say flashy? can't get in....

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..