Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 18:49   #76
Senior Member+

Re: Freecycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsboy View Post
i tryed to join this but they said no
what exactly did they say?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-01-2009, 20:42   #77

they said my membership was regected i said i live in rishton do you thing that could be the problom?
chrismuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 20:51   #78
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsboy View Post
they said my membership was regected i said i live in rishton do you thing that could be the problom?

Do you have a yahoo account because freecycle is part of the yahoo groups.

It wont be because you live in rishton because its Hyndburn is nt it?
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 20:54   #79
God Member

I seem to recall that if you have email run by some obscure provider (whose name I cannot remember) you cannot use it on freecycle - have to use a recognised email provider to register

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 20:54   #80

no i do not have a yahoo acc its bt internet thank you for that

by Site Admin
chrismuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 21:09   #81
Passed away 25-11-09

I don't know this site. Do you mean I can ask for anything I want and someone will just give it to me - free?

In that case I want a 4 bedroom bungalow in this area, with half an acre of land, on a country lane. I'm even willing to swap for a 3 bedroom semi (with new, very posh bathroom) on a semi-rural road. Now, I can't say fairer than that, can I?
Old 04-01-2009, 21:41   #82
God Member

you can become a member of every freecycle site in the country, but you can only advertise for 'things wanted' on your local site....
you can pick up from ANY of the posts on any of the groups though

so a mod on freecycle told me anyway

oh he also happens to be a member of accyweb too
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 23:45   #83

Hi folks someone I know thats in Freecycle told me that there are some little misconceptions need correcting:

Quote:
I seem to recall that if you have email run by some obscure provider (whose name I cannot remember) you cannot use it on freecycle - have to use a recognised email provider to register
As far as I know Not quite right, you can use Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, BTinternet or any other ISP.
Although some ISP's have had problems blocking Yahoo mails, NTL & AOL were 2 that spring to mind.
The thing that is not allowed is to be using Grouply.com as they have some serious security issues that Freecycle groups (and others) do not agree with.

Quote:
In that case I want a 4 bedroom bungalow in this area, with half an acre of land, on a country lane. I'm even willing to swap for a 3 bedroom semi (with new, very posh bathroom) on a semi-rural road. Now, I can't say fairer than that, can I?
Might have been a fun post but:
As far as I know Freecycle is about saving stuff from landfill, I have never heard of a Bungalow being thrown into landfill

Also As far as I know swapping is not allowed, all exchanges are meant to be free & without conditions, a swap contains a condition (I'll give you mine on the condition that you give me yours).

Quote:
you can become a member of every freecycle site in the country, but you can only advertise for 'things wanted' on your local site....
you can pick up from ANY of the posts on any of the groups though
ISTR If you join a lot of groups you will likely end up on a spammers list & be queried about it, but there is nothing to prevent you doing so.
99.999% of the time anyone that joins all the groups is a national spammer and soon gets noticed and removed.
I'm personally in about 20+ Freecycle groups internationally.

You can usually post both OFFER & WANTED posts on any group that accepts you as a member, but you are asked to post them all on your own "local" group first,as Freecycle is all about "local gifting".
The basis of that is to also respect the environment & not emit loads of nasty emissions into the air

Quote:
oh he also happens to be a member of accyweb too
Who's that then, I'm sure it wasn't me.

Lancslad, did you reply to the email that was sent to you asking your local area location & partial postal code? ISTR not replying to that is the biggest reason for non approval. It's usually because someone joins up & signs up for a Yahoo email which gets set as default & then they do not check the Yahoo email account.

Other problems are when they join with 1 email address and then reply from another, which means that Freecycle cannot be completely sure that they are the same person, so the same email address needs to be used.
It also needs to be the same email address as the reply will often be searched for to find the members location because they often forget it

Try joining again, email the group owners email address & mention this thread on AW then the dozy sod who's overstretched trying to keep 3 groups in the area running might take more notice

Now if I had some spare time & knew anything about how to use Freecycle well I'd help out as I know they could do with some lol
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:52   #84
God Member

pmsfl, Matty your off your head
Old 09-01-2009, 10:00   #85

I lost my head many moons ago, its in the same bag with my marbles
Old 13-01-2009, 15:21   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
Hello, just wanted to drop in another perspective about peoples wants on Freecycle etc.

The groups usually have limits on how many wanted posts they can make, if someone wastes a wanted post with something really stupid then it is thier loss, the rest of the group just laugh at them & ignore them and they now have less opputunities to ask for sensible stuff.

However, nothing is too good to give away, cars, caravans, plasma tv, conservatories, expensive hifi systems etc all get given away (I have seen them). So what do we call an extravagant item & say "thats too much to ask for" ?

If you dont ask you dont get, and if its something small that people are likely to have kicking around in the shed etc then your likely to get it.
If you do ask for something that's extravagant then not only do you not get it, but when you do ask for something more basic you dont get that either as people will look up your previous posting history.

At the moment the BwD group is run by some US based international moderators who set it up after its previous owner went awol, they are of the mind not to limit anyones posts, hopefully things will get better when the current moderator gets to take over.

As for moderation of people, when someone joins - yes they are moderated to ensure that they can post correctly, but after they have shown that they can follow the simple subject line format (and its amazing how many cannot!) and have posted a few offers they can be taken off of moderation & are free to post. It doesn't always happen as the people running the groups are volenteers & just like the rest of us have a life to live & cant always commit the time to searching & identifying people.

And as the offers to help from people (other than those that just want to profit from it) are few far between there remains delays & moderation galore.
Luckily the mods have a Firefox plugin that really helps them or all hell would break loose.

Apologies for the spelling errors, for some reason my checker isnt working.

Matty.
Funnily enough, absolutely nothing has changed.
BwD is still looked after by the Yanks because they got rid of a perfectly good moderator and people are still taking the pee when asking for stuff.

And despite having a message creation web page that creates the whole message & sends it for you, people still get the simple subject line wrong....

\bangsheadonwall
Old 13-01-2009, 16:34   #87
God Member

Matty, why are you quoting yourself mate?
Old 13-01-2009, 19:31   #88

Pointing out that in the past year, nowt has changed
Old 14-01-2009, 04:50   #89
God Member

Free stuff is one of the few highlights of someones death. People leave some pretty valuable stuff behind and not everyone's family has the time to find everything a good home. Some might just give away expensive books or paintings so that other people could appreciate them for example, so why not the same with laptops? And before anyone whinges about my first sentence, you only have to look at disputes over wills to see exactly what I mean. All of a sudden the death becomes highly irrelevant once there is property to be fought over.

Household appliances and electrics are the thing that people generally already have so when someone dies, its easier to just give it away on freecycle if you aren't bothered about the money. And some people don't really care about making profit.

I think ASKING for expensive items is somewhat cheeky but as someone said, if you don't ask then you don't get. Simple as that really. We shouldn't be so cynical about listed expensive things though, there are many reasons why a person might decide to just give away something of value.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 05:27   #90
God Member

I think thats a good idea, I lost my mother in law in November and we have yet to find homes for all her stuff, we're not going to rush to sort things out but thats one idea I hadn't thought of.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..