Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 7 Post By dotti34
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 3 Post By dotti34

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-11-2021, 22:16   #1

Growing Old

Often when I can’t sleep I compose things in my head (maybe it’s the start of hearing voices…oops!). The other night I felt a bit poetic and made up a poem. Thought I might as well put it on Accy Web, sorry about that.

Growing Old.

When you are small they prepare you for school
So that when you go there you’re nobody’s fool.
While you’re at school and doing your learning
They prepare you for when you are actually earning.
They prepare you to go out and look for a mate
And possibly prepare you to then procreate.
But nobody prepares you for when you are old
What to expect, you’re never told
The creaks and the groans as you rise from a chair
The loss of some teeth and often your hair.
Rubs, pills and strong potions, they’re part of your life
Modern technology can cause you some strive.
Less keen is the hearing, the eyesight is fading
And bodily functions are often degrading
The temple that once was a body so fine
Is sagging and wrinkled as it starts to decline
Old men solve world problems as they sit at the bars
Their scooters are parked where they once parked their cars.
Growing old ain’t so pretty but I don’t give a care
It sure beats the hell out of not getting there.

Here’s to all of us old ‘uns – may we all keep on keeping on.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-11-2021, 05:51   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Growing Old

I will second that Dorothy.
I can see no mention of ear wax…or toenails as tough as hooves…..or hair sprouting from anywhere that it shouldn’t….ears for men and chins for ladies.
But truth in every word you wrote.
dotti34 likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 06:55   #3

You are so right, Margaret, lots more material on that subject. I could have added quite a few more lines about such things as replacement of worn out joints but I thought I’d best not make it too long. Didn’t want anyone to doze off while reading it….
Old 15-11-2021, 07:27   #4
Beacon of light

Growing old is a privilege that is not extended to some….so I suppose the things that pain us in our latter years are the reminders of this.
I have found that my tolerance is compromised….and that I can hear myself sounding like my mother.
I can still hear a cockroach trump…..and although I do not wear specs, my eyes are nowhere near as good as they were.
Other than that all is in working order(thank goodness)
dotti34 likes this.
Old 15-11-2021, 10:38   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i have loads of stuff thats not good health wise but agree with dotti i only give a stuff about summat that i can do summat about, so therefore i aint much to bother about. also think this would have been better posted in general chat? cos quite a few dont come in here!

Last edited by cashman; 15-11-2021 at 10:40.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 18:33   #6

Cashie, I wrote this tongue-in-cheek, a bit of light-hearted banter, hence putting it in the ‘Anything Goes’ section. As we all know it’s a non-debatable subject that has its trials and tribulations, but sometimes it doesn’t hurt to laugh at ourselves. By the way, I must be one of the oldest on here if not THE oldest, so I felt that I could poke a bit of fun at us oldies. Yes, I could get depressed when I look in the mirror but then I think to myself that at least I am still here to see what’s looking back at me. I’m not that keen on half-empty glasses and much prefer one that is three-quarters full. Not always easy to keep it at that level but it’s definitely worth doing, or at least trying to do.
Old 15-11-2021, 19:49   #7
Beacon of light

Dorothy, that is a positive mental attitude….and while it may not stop your knees from creaking or your bladder from leaking….it is the way to go…
We can’t change what we have become, but we can celebrate our little victories…..and only we know what those are.
Old 16-11-2021, 13:30   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Cashie, I wrote this tongue-in-cheek, a bit of light-hearted banter, hence putting it in the ‘Anything Goes’ section. As we all know it’s a non-debatable subject that has its trials and tribulations, but sometimes it doesn’t hurt to laugh at ourselves. By the way, I must be one of the oldest on here if not THE oldest, so I felt that I could poke a bit of fun at us oldies. Yes, I could get depressed when I look in the mirror but then I think to myself that at least I am still here to see what’s looking back at me. I’m not that keen on half-empty glasses and much prefer one that is three-quarters full. Not always easy to keep it at that level but it’s definitely worth doing, or at least trying to do.
i thought that to be honest, but think its worth talking about.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..