Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 19:58   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Have we gone soft?

As many of you know, I'm not really into housework, however over the past ten years since my ex left me to fend for myself, the number of times I've moved I've brought the same gas cooker with me.
Now, when we parted just about everything was covered in burnt in grease, you know the stuff, no matter how you apply a brillo pad it has an impervious shell and just won't move.
Well, I finally got around to opening a cardboard box that I have moved with me but never actually thought contained much.

One of the items was a squeezy bottle of oven cleaner, I applied this to the stubborn stains and zip, pow, zowey, the ingrained black stuff just started to drop off, melting into it's original form.
Wow, I thought, must get some more of this stuff, my cooker could look like new.
Did a google on the product, a health warning from the manufacturer saying it had been removed from production because of it's corrosive actions.
Well you mard arses I don't care, if it cleans my cooker that well I want more of it....
Excuse me for a few moments, I seem to have a slight chest complaint, coughing quite alot. Oh, and meanwhile if any of you have any spare curtains or carpets, could you let me have them? Mine for some reason seem to have turned into a rather sticky sludge.
Anyone got a spare gas mask?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-11-2012, 20:05   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Have we gone soft?

http://aciers.free.fr/wp-content/PCC-003.jpg

less cleaning his cooker

join me on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/61983378@N07/
churchfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 11:38   #3
God Member

Having seen several of Less's informative posts on domestic practices for men I was made to think back to the 1980's when I got married. I bought a copy of Shirley Conran's famous book "Superwoman" - it was much thumbed and was full of priceless tips on household management.
I think the time is right for you to get together the whole series of your posts on how to be the perfect "House-husband" Less -it could become a classic of it's kind and, of course, earn you a few bob!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 12:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Having seen several of Less's informative posts on domestic practices for men I was made to think back to the 1980's when I got married. I bought a copy of Shirley Conran's famous book "Superwoman" - it was much thumbed and was full of priceless tips on household management.
I think the time is right for you to get together the whole series of your posts on how to be the perfect "House-husband" Less -it could become a classic of it's kind and, of course, earn you a few bob!
Naaaah, some pedantic critic that wouldn't buy the book, but would get it on loan from the library would then fill the margins with penciled in corrections of my spelling and grammar.

Don't you just hate it when you get a book out and that's happened?

Last edited by Less; 14-11-2012 at 12:48.
Old 15-11-2012, 13:25   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Naaaah, some pedantic critic that wouldn't buy the book, but would get it on loan from the library would then fill the margins with penciled in corrections of my spelling and grammar.

Don't you just hate it when you get a book out and that's happened?
I know what you mean but have recently discovered just what a writer's blindspot is - you really don't see your own mistakes. I have just finished going through something I've been working on all year - reading 350-odd pages and passing them with a fine-toothed comb. I think I've now been through it 5 times in the last month and I'm still finding mistakes. The really weird thing is I don't see the mistakeswhen reading in Word but they jump out at me in PDF format were I can't correct them -so I have 2 documents open in parallel -most confusing!

I really was serious about the book idea - you should think about it. I'm sure you could come up with a great title - the sequel obviously would be called "More Less"

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 15-11-2012, 13:42   #6

I have considered writing the single man's guide to sex, however I could do with a hand getting it started.
Old 15-11-2012, 15:15   #7
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I know what you mean but have recently discovered just what a writer's blindspot is - you really don't see your own mistakes. I have just finished going through something I've been working on all year - reading 350-odd pages and passing them with a fine-toothed comb. I think I've now been through it 5 times in the last month and I'm still finding mistakes. The really weird thing is I don't see the mistakeswhen reading in Word but they jump out at me in PDF format were I can't correct them -so I have 2 documents open in parallel -most confusing!

I really was serious about the book idea - you should think about it. I'm sure you could come up with a great title - the sequel obviously would be called "More Less"
Proof reading on screen is very difficult - you need a hard copy and a red pen. I know, I did it for five years.
Old 15-11-2012, 16:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Proof reading on screen is very difficult - you need a hard copy and a red pen. I know, I did it for five years.
Did you used to practice with books from Accy library?

I did notice most of the scribbling where in books about the first world war though, perhaps you aren't old enough?
Old 15-11-2012, 16:48   #9
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Did you used to practice with books from Accy library?

I did notice most of the scribbling where in books about the first world war though, perhaps you aren't old enough?
Not old enough and not that interested...

My proofreading days were long after I left Accy. In fact my last job before I retired.
Old 16-11-2012, 14:12   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I hope to let a professional do it at some point Sue - first I'm trying to make it reasonable. I'm the sort who would tidy up before her cleaner came in (if i had one that is!)

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..