Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2019, 12:28   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Hunt The Thimble With A New Twist.

Yes I've spent part of the weekend playing this game only, it wasn't a thimble, I really thought it was a sweaty sock!

It started around Friday night, I just got in and there was a definite whiff to the air that shouldn't be there.

It was too late for me to do anything at the time I really needed to get some sleep (hic).

The following day I had forgotten about it until sitting at my desk the smell of rancid sock crept up on me once more, I made a determined effort to find the source.
I checked all the washing that was drying on my radiator, all seemed well, so I moved on to my litter bin no problem there, perhaps it was creeping up on me from the kitchen so I checked through all the likely sources there, the rubbish bin prime suspect, no, but I'll empty it anyway just in case, Laundry basket? no, but I'll wash these clothes just to be sure, it couldn't be dirty dishes for once everything washed and put away.

Back into the living room play a game ignore, seemed to be a good plan.

The smell persisted, so, I re-washed the clothes on the radiator, they had smelt o.k. but, I had a cold a few days ago maybe my nose isn't working to peek performance?

I even ended up suspecting my curtains but they where innocent.

Giving up I decided to do what everyone else was doing and watched the Harry Potter marathon.

Sat there on the settee the smell was even worse, could it be ME? Well, no, it wasn't, but the smell was much worse around where I was sitting.
Then I spotted something, would you like to know what it was?
If so then
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-01-2019, 12:43   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Hunt The Thimble With A New Twist.

Finding a smelly sock is far easier to playing hunt the thimble.
Thimbles do not smell of anything.
With a smelly sock you just follow your nose!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 13:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
As already mentioned, I have recently had a cold, the nose is not the most reliable thing under such circumstances, in fact, if it smelt bad to me it would no doubt have been 10 times worse to someone that came to visit, just glad I'm usually left in peace, though no doubt the guilty object would have been found quicker.
Old 20-01-2019, 14:02   #4

Quote:
Plus, the main reference is to 'parlour games', this all happened in my front room which used to be known as the parlour back in the day.

I'll give out some good old Karma to anyone that can tell me what was causing the stink!
Old 20-01-2019, 14:23   #5

You came in with dog POO on you're shoes...lol
hilleluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 14:34   #6
Beacon of light

Yes Less...I remember those days....and the Aspidistra sat in a huge ugly pot on top of the singer treadle sewing machine....used only at Christmas...or for a funeral....back then the coffin with the deceased in it was put into the front room the night before the funeral.

Oh Less....don't tell me that you had some kind of corpse in there(a dead rodent) surely not.....a corpse smells far worse than the most rancid sock.
Believe me...in my time I have come across rancid old socks(tramp admitted to the medical ward with toenails grown through the soles of his boots springs to mind)....not a smell that is easy to forget.

It wasn't Stinking Bishop cheese...left over from some evening soirée was it?
No....I give up!
Old 20-01-2019, 15:02   #7

Quote:
Yes Less...I remember those days....and the Aspidistra sat in a huge ugly pot on top of the singer treadle sewing machine....used only at Christmas...or for a funeral....back then the coffin with the deceased in it was put into the front room the night before the funeral.
Perhaps I should have started this thread in Nostagia Ain't What It Used To Be...?

Quote:
Oh Less....don't tell me that you had some kind of corpse in there(a dead rodent) surely not.....a corpse smells far worse than the most rancid sock.
Believe me...in my time I have come across rancid old socks(tramp admitted to the medical ward with toenails grown through the soles of his boots springs to mind)....not a smell that is easy to forget.
No Margaret I also know the smell of rotting flesh:-
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...rat+man+cometh

Quote:

It wasn't Stinking Bishop cheese...left over from some evening soirée was it?
No....I give up!
You give up too easily,

Although I said it started Friday, we need to go back to the Monday, before I went out and witnessed this:-
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...highlight=Kesh

I had the forethought to prepare my supper, it was to be blue cheese and crackers, now as we all know the flavour of cheese improves at room temperature, so I unwrapped the cheese and put it on the lower shelf of my coffee table, this turned out to be a case of 'out of site out of mind' as I forgot all about it.
However four days of maturing there really did improve the flavour and the blue veins never have looked so blue!

So, Karma coming your way.
Old 20-01-2019, 15:17   #8
Beacon of light

Well, Less....I could have just put cheese....but felt that that would just be a bit uninteresting.....so the nostalgia bit was just to set the scene....a bit of literary licence if you like.
Anyway, if you parked your cheese and crackers and forgot about them, you could not have been that peckish.
Thank you for the Karma Less...it is quite a while since I had any of that.

P.S.....did you eat the sweaty cheese?
Old 20-01-2019, 15:23   #9

Quote:

P.S.....did you eat the sweaty cheese?
Of course, including the bits that had created some fresh mould on the crackers.
Old 20-01-2019, 16:43   #10
Beacon of light

So you will have got a good dose of antibiotic....it won't cure your cold, but it might stop you get pneumonia

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..