Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-10-2012, 20:15   #1

ideas for leftover mash?

Anyone got any suggestions, got a mountain of the stuff from last nights tea
Old 29-10-2012, 20:19   #2

Re: ideas for leftover mash?

I make it into fritter-type things. Fry some sliced onions and spices, add flour to the mash, add onions/spices, roll into balls, flatten and then shallow fry. Do okay in oven too I'm just impatient

Also good for thickening soups, or add stock and fried chopped leaks , season and make potato soup.
Mash freezes well anyway
Old 29-10-2012, 20:20   #3

Make potatoe cakes with it you just need flour .
Marl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 20:39   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
I make it into fritter-type things. Fry some sliced onions and spices, add flour to the mash, add onions/spices, roll into balls, flatten and then shallow fry. Do okay in oven too I'm just impatient

Also good for thickening soups, or add stock and fried chopped leaks , season and make potato soup.
Mash freezes well anyway
Ok ... lots of ingredients to taste ... but, how much flour do you add? You don't have to be exact.

And why do I have to roll it into my balls I can't see how that would improve the taste
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 21:05   #5
Beacon of light

Sweat some onions, add some corned beef and then mix with the mash.........coat the mixture with some seasoned flour....dip in beaten egg, then breadcrumbs and fry until golden brown....a bit like fish cakes, but with corned beef.

Alternatively, you could add flaked fish...finny haddock if liked, some parsley and chives and then do the flour, egg and breadcrumb thing and you have some very tasty fish cakes.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 21:17   #6
Senior Member+

Just throw it away. Disgusting stuff!
Going to all that trouble to use up a bit of second hand mash? Crazy.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 21:18   #7
Senior Member+

i as going to say fish cakes aswell

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 21:18   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Yeh got no idea Gordon.
Old 29-10-2012, 21:21   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Sweat some onions, add some corned beef and then mix with the mash.........coat the mixture with some seasoned flour....dip in beaten egg, then breadcrumbs and fry until golden brown....a bit like fish cakes, but with corned beef.

Alternatively, you could add flaked fish...finny haddock if liked, some parsley and chives and then do the flour, egg and breadcrumb thing and you have some very tasty fish cakes.
Like the idea of finny haddock ... Atho' I don't know if I can get it over here ... Always a fav of mine ... And you can use the bones as toothpicks
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 21:27   #10
Beacon of light

I suppose you could use salmon, or tuna.

Gordon....I was taught to use up leftovers(there is too much food wasted today because people do not know what to do with it, to make it usable)...and done in the right way you would not know they were leftovers........and anyway, it isn't second hand mash....it's leftovers.
Old 29-10-2012, 21:31   #11
Senior Member+

you could always just make a shepherds pie and us the mash on top?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 21:31   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

Gordon....I was taught to use up leftovers(there is too much food wasted today because people do not know what to do with it, to make it usable)...and done in the right way you would not know they were leftovers........and anyway, it isn't second hand mash....it's leftovers.
If hairylee hadn't made too much in the first place(that's waste) there wouldn't be any leftovers.
By the time she can act on your suggestions it'll be three days old(that's dangerous).
I hate it when it's fresh but three days old-Yuck.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 21:32   #13
Beacon of light

Vegetarian option...add grated cheddar cheese and spring onions.......and maybe a few frozen peas......flour, dip in beaten egg, then breadcrumbs and fry, grill or bake.

Put the leftover mash on top of cooked minced meat(lamb or beef). voila...shepherds pie/cottage pie.

Mix with grated cheese and onions and put into a pastry case......cheese and onion pie/pasty
Old 29-10-2012, 21:37   #14
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
If hairylee hadn't made too much in the first place(that's waste) there wouldn't be any leftovers.
By the time she can act on your suggestions it'll be three days old(that's dangerous).
I hate it when it's fresh but three days old-Yuck.
It is only dangerous if it hasn't been kept in the right conditions.(and if it isn't cooked at a high enough temperature)
And maybe there is a reason why there was leftovers...maybe someone who should have been dining didn't.

When deciding if food is not suitable for consumption, you look at it, smell it, and give some to you other half...if he survives then it should be oK to eat.

Gordon...way back when...there were no fridges or freezers....we regularly ate stuff that had been sat on the cellar head for days......we cut the green off the cheese.......did we come to any harm?
I can't speak for you...but I certainly didn't.
Old 29-10-2012, 22:10   #15
Senior Member+

could you freeze it? sounds disgusting i know, but i have seen some frozen mash for sale in the asda

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..