Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-09-2014, 18:11   #16
Senior Member+

Re: "It's ok, he's friendly"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Let me just paraphrase what you're saying here. Someone has a friendly, good natured dog out for exercise, and you expect them to reign in their dog in because yours is the one with the attitude problem?

Just so you know - having a dog on a lead is not having it "under control". If your dog were to bite another dog then any claim would come under the Animals Act 1971 which allows for civil reparation when animals cause injuries or property damage. If your dog is classed as a banned breed then it's covered by criminal law, the Dangerous Dogs Act.

The Animals Act does not make any distinction whether the dog is restrained. It does (rather messily) accommodate temporary aberrations vs aggression that is in the animal's nature. You've already indicated on a public forum that your dog is aggressive towards others. If your dog bites someone else's dog, and they sue you for the vet's bill, you'll lose, even if your dog was on a lead and theirs wasn't. Reckon it's time for you to invest in that muzzle...
Let me put it another way, My mother has had two hip replacement surgeries. And part of her rehab is walking.During this period she is slightly unstable and easily toppled.
The mere sight of a dog off the lead is enough to make her nervous. Obviously, She doesn't know the level of training any particular dog has had.
are you suggesting she is fully expected to have to avoid it?

I've been there and seen those 'perfectly' trained dogs. You know the ones,the ones that NEVER disobey
I've seen them come pounding over to us sniffing sometimes even jumping up all be it with friendly excitement. Do you see this as acceptable,responsible dog ownership? (i don't).
My dog being on the lead sends out a clear sign to other folk in my community that i care for their limitations.

As mentioned, with my dog being in it's senior years it can't really take the excitement of a younger dog jumping at her or lifting her off her feet trying to sniff at her back end.
I have a taylor made muzzle but i won't use it for the reasoned previously mention and also she has a good recall when told.She's not of a banned breed and i'm confident she would pass any dangerous dogs test as regardless of law each case would be taken on its own merit subject to testing etc.

I guess what i'm trying to say is regardless of if you have a dog or not you shouldn't be expected to have others dogs invade your personal space against your wishes.

Now,had this incident happened say 10years ago i'd of left that fella with a broken jaw for his ill manners and abuse.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-09-2014, 18:22   #17
Senior Member+

She's not of a banned breed not sure why it missed not out, i clearly typed it

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 18:41   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
i'd of left that fella with a broken jaw for his ill manners and abuse.
Maybe you could borrow DtheP's Colt ... or my SIG P226 ... if there's any shooting gonna take place, I'd rather see the lead end up in some dip shiite human than in a dog.

Oh, and my dog isn't friendly .... she's old, deaf, don't see too good, and she's a terrier. She likes Lucy, a scruffy little mutt from up the street, Baby, my neighbour's Chihuahua ... and she will tolerate Jake, a Mastiff/Bernese cross who often comes gallumping into my yard from my FB's place. She's not bad with most humans, although I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw Jake. But she's my best friend, and I know how to take care of her ... and I love doing it. Friendly or not, there are no bad dogs ... or cats for that matter (even my Pookie isn't bad; she just has a touch of evil in here ... sound "familiar")

But taking care of animals, like good parenting, is something that some folks just don't get. But the upside, and I always consider positives if there are any, is that the dog mentioned in the opening post at least has a home, probably gets groceries into him regularly, and has a warm place to kip. Lotsa dogs ain't so lucky.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 19:34   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Let me put it another way, My mother has had two hip replacement surgeries. And part of her rehab is walking.During this period she is slightly unstable and easily toppled.
The mere sight of a dog off the lead is enough to make her nervous. Obviously, She doesn't know the level of training any particular dog has had. are you suggesting she is fully expected to have to avoid it?
If your mother's mobility and nervousness around dogs is likely to upset her, I wouldn't expect her to be anywhere near where she's likely to find dogs being walked, whether leashed or not.

(The dogs, not your mother.)

Surely she would need to be walking somewhere there's little chance of her slipping or tripping? Like anywhere other than a field or woodland?

Personally, I don't care if a dog is on its leash. I only felt the need to join in this thread because after an encounter with a trio of angry dogs which were supposedly "restrained", I've had need to read up on the law.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 19:48   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Surely she would need to be walking somewhere there's little chance of her slipping or tripping? Like anywhere other than a field or woodland?
What about a park Studio?
People out with dogs should have them under control and not allow them to approach others who may not want them coming near for whatever reason.
I have a dog that`s snappy also, and the reason she`s snappy is that she has been attacked in the past by these "friendly" dogs, what`s she to do when a strange dog comes running towards her after what has happened in the past, I always tell the person with the other dog and most of the time they say something like "ah well, it`ll serve him/her right", the more sensible ones put theirs on a lead.
Accyexplorer likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 20:33   #21
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Maybe you could borrow DtheP's Colt ... or my SIG P226 ... if there's any shooting gonna take place, I'd rather see the lead end up in some dip shiite human than in a dog.

Oh, and my dog isn't friendly .... she's old, deaf, don't see too good, and she's a terrier. She likes Lucy, a scruffy little mutt from up the street, Baby, my neighbour's Chihuahua ... and she will tolerate Jake, a Mastiff/Bernese cross who often comes gallumping into my yard from my FB's place. She's not bad with most humans, although I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw Jake. But she's my best friend, and I know how to take care of her ... and I love doing it. Friendly or not, there are no bad dogs ... or cats for that matter (even my Pookie isn't bad; she just has a touch of evil in here ... sound "familiar")

But taking care of animals, like good parenting, is something that some folks just don't get. But the upside, and I always consider positives if there are any, is that the dog mentioned in the opening post at least has a home, probably gets groceries into him regularly, and has a warm place to kip. Lotsa dogs ain't so lucky.
You still have dog licences over there don'tcha Eric and for cats too?
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 20:40   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
You still have dog licences over there don'tcha Eric and for cats too?
Of course.
Old 30-09-2014, 21:00   #23
I am Banned

Should have em here
£100 a mutt
Old 30-09-2014, 21:05   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Should have em here
£100 a mutt
Should be more to it than just handing over cash, you should have to take a test to show you are capable of looking after and training a dog, trouble is, there will then be more homeless dogs than there is now.
Old 30-09-2014, 21:16   #25
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Should be more to it than just handing over cash, you should have to take a test to show you are capable of looking after and training a dog, trouble is, there will then be more homeless dogs than there is now.
Switzerland has it right, you have to show you are a right and proper person and the dog is well balanced and controllable
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 30-09-2014, 21:25   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Switzerland has it right, you have to show you are a right and proper person and the dog is well balanced and controllable
Not sure how they can do the second bit, at what age are the dogs tested for being controllable and is it the dogs fault if the keeper can`t control him/her. But better than what we have here, which is anyone can have a dog until you are banned by a court.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:58   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Not sure how they can do the second bit, at what age are the dogs tested for being controllable and is it the dogs fault if the keeper can`t control him/her. But better than what we have here, which is anyone can have a dog until you are banned by a court.
Who's going to keep check on them to see if they are not keeping a dog when they have been banned.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:08   #28
Senior Member+

If someone mistreats an animal the RSPCA prosecute and the court can ban them from keeping animals, I don`t know if anyone keeps a check on them after that, probably not is my guess.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:00   #29
God Member

Quote:
Switzerland has it right, you have to show you are a right and proper person
Should have the same rules for those who want to become parents ... now, that would have a lot of positive benefits; not the least of which would be instant population control. There are just too many humans kicking around, taking up valuable space, and wasting planetary resources. Extend spay and neuter programs to take in humans ... ban certain breeds, starting with politicians. The options are limitless.

This thread isn't really about dogs; they are the innocent bystanders. It's about idiot humans ... in fact, many threads, past and present, maybe most of them, are about the dumb things that humans do. "The proper study of mankind is man." And it's a dirty, violent "book" if ever there was one; not too much "glory" in it, lotsa "jest" (of the sick kind), and a "riddle" we can start working on once we have solved the problem of dark matter.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:44   #30
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Should have the same rules for those who want to become parents ... now, that would have a lot of positive benefits; not the least of which would be instant population control. There are just too many humans kicking around, taking up valuable space, and wasting planetary resources. Extend spay and neuter programs to take in humans ... ban certain breeds, starting with politicians. The options are limitless.

This thread isn't really about dogs; they are the innocent bystanders. It's about idiot humans ... in fact, many threads, past and present, maybe most of them, are about the dumb things that humans do. "The proper study of mankind is man." And it's a dirty, violent "book" if ever there was one; not too much "glory" in it, lotsa "jest" (of the sick kind), and a "riddle" we can start working on once we have solved the problem of dark matter.
Yes Eric but as Margaret Pilkington's signature says,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..