Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-09-2014, 07:12   #46
Beacon of light

Re: Manchester Dogs Home Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
"Quite a way" I've done a complete u turn,when I started the thread I was a little emotional as i myself am a dog owner.

Since reading the replies and getting things put into perspective (from folk on this site) along with reading comments (on other sites) from folk that want to do a array of unspeakable things to this lad (and his family) I feel kind of sorry for him and his family now (more than a bit shady/dodgy for piling in and advocating the mod rule on the condemnation of a 'child' who I really know nothing about).

Is he a psychopath? Hmmm, I highly doubt his intention was to kill all these dogs (I may be wrong).
More likely it's just some silly childish prank gone very wrong, committed by a young non thinking idiot who has probably ruined his and his families life's by committing this offence (the cells are likely to be the safest place for him after his details were published online).

A number of folk are also blaming his parents
If he is a psychopath (As I'm sure you know) Some 'psychopaths' are the way they are from birth, so he could be the way he is through no fault of his parents but yet they are the ones getting death threats.
It is really a pointless exercise to try to make assumptions and judgements over any of the aspects of this case.
As for social media sites promoting suppositions and rumours about him and his family.....well, this is why I dislike the social media scene so much.(I don't consider Accyweb to be social media)
What is not known is supposed, made up, embroidered.

All we can say for sure right now is that a number of animals died in terrible cruel circumstances and there has been a concerted effort by local people to rally round and help out.
Now, whether you think this is justified, good or bad will depend on your own personal experiences of life.

Anything else isn't worth a hill of beans.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-09-2014, 07:51   #47

A hill of beans? I'm reminded of Humphrey Bogart.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 08:21   #48
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
A hill of beans? I'm reminded of Humphrey Bogart.
"it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world".

Classic, they don't make them like that anymore, all sex,violence nowadays

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 08:49   #49
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I was a little emotional as i myself am a dog owner.
That perhaps explains why there are so many dogs in homes.

Anyone can be a 'dog owner', how many of these 'dog owners' really do give their 'possessions' the proper care and attention that is required?
To reduce the number of dogs that end up in homes or being treated cruelly, it should be difficult to 'own' a dog.
I have had many dogs over the years, they all lived an active and long life, I would love to have the companionship of one now, however, circumstances change and I know that I wouldn't be able to give the standard of care and attention that would be required, but I could have a dog within just a few hours with no-one checking that I would be a responsible and caring 'owner'.

Bring in laws that make a 'dog owner' a difficult thing to become then perhaps less dogs will be treated badly.
Make sure that the dogs are going to be safe and secure and not just loved while they are in the cutesy puppy stage then perhaps there will be less human tragedies caused by dogs that turn on people. Give out a licence that has to be earned by proving an understanding of the care and needs of these animals, not a dog licence, a 'dog owners' licence that can be revoked at the first sign of mistreatment, cruelty or neglect.

'Mans best friend' is what a dog is known as, good grief, if ever anyone has proved how misplaced that friendship is, it's man's inhumanity to an animal that can show both loyalty and affection to a beast that doesn't deserve it.

By the way Accyexplorer, before you go into rant mode I only quoted you as an example of the term 'dog owner', I am absolutely NOT implying that you are a bad 'dog owner'.

Last edited by Less; 16-09-2014 at 08:53.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 08:56   #50
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
If you feel there are better causes then there is nothing stopping you from setting this up. Someone, somewhere has felt this to be a good cause and has done something about it rather than whinging that someone else hasn`t done it.
Point made gpick.
Thinking about that, if all the scrotes that hotfooted it to Harpurhey for their 15 minutes of fame at the dogs home had done their iced water bucket challenge at the same time there would have been no need to call the Fire Brigade. The fire would have been out in no time thus saving all us taxpayers money.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 09:03   #51
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Point made gpick.
Thinking about that, if all the scrotes that hotfooted it to Harpurhey for their 15 minutes of fame at the dogs home had done their iced water bucket challenge at the same time there would have been no need to call the Fire Brigade. The fire would have been out in no time thus saving all us taxpayers money.
You always have to come up with some smart aleck answer don't you.
Did you actually know any of the people who went to help out? Those you accuse of seeking their fifteen minutes of fame...you decry their efforts and judge them from how they appear.
Appearances can be deceptive........and dogs really don't care what you look like....they don't judge.
Old 16-09-2014, 10:15   #52
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
That perhaps explains why there are so many dogs in homes.

Anyone can be a 'dog owner', how many of these 'dog owners' really do give their 'possessions' the proper care and attention that is required?
To reduce the number of dogs that end up in homes or being treated cruelly, it should be difficult to 'own' a dog.
I have had many dogs over the years, they all lived an active and long life, I would love to have the companionship of one now, however, circumstances change and I know that I wouldn't be able to give the standard of care and attention that would be required, but I could have a dog within just a few hours with no-one checking that I would be a responsible and caring 'owner'.

Bring in laws that make a 'dog owner' a difficult thing to become then perhaps less dogs will be treated badly.
Make sure that the dogs are going to be safe and secure and not just loved while they are in the cutesy puppy stage then perhaps there will be less human tragedies caused by dogs that turn on people. Give out a licence that has to be earned by proving an understanding of the care and needs of these animals, not a dog licence, a 'dog owners' licence that can be revoked at the first sign of mistreatment, cruelty or neglect.

'Mans best friend' is what a dog is known as, good grief, if ever anyone has proved how misplaced that friendship is, it's man's inhumanity to an animal that can show both loyalty and affection to a beast that doesn't deserve it.

By the way Accyexplorer, before you go into rant mode I only quoted you as an example of the term 'dog owner', I am absolutely NOT implying that you are a bad 'dog owner'.

This may shock you but,I'm incline to agree Less

Re the licensing of dogs,yes, you should not be able to own one without a licence which certifies your competence to control it, and records the dog's microchip number – just like your driving licence and your vehicle registration document.

To obtain a licence folk should need to demonstrate the competence to train a dog to a minimum standard this would ensure that they understood the basics of communicating with and controlling their dog, which even many well-meaning 'dog-owners' do not appear to know.
In addition a need to demonstrate a knowledge of its welfare needs and of your legal responsibilities wouldn't go a miss either.

Personally, I got my dog (fully comprehending the care and attention needed) as I enjoy the process of bringing up a dog from a pup.
I'm sure your aware, The happiness and sense of satisfaction from raising a good,loyal dog from a pup is second to none and far outweighs the time and money spent on them.
The importance of pets is much more remarkable to some people who live alone, especially those old folk without children.
Under these circumstances, dogs are not only pets they are more likely to be companions to the bitter end (part of the family).

Finally,Why can't all your comments be of this standard when directed at me?

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 10:29   #53
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

Firstly, the post wasn't wholly directed at you, only the last bit. however they could be of similar vain in future, all you have to do is take the advice I have given you in the past on many occasions to heart.
Think before you post.

Last edited by Less; 16-09-2014 at 10:35.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 10:33   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:

I'd say,overall, you get the comments you deserve.
cashman likes this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 10:47   #55
Full Member+

Quote:
Well declaring my pathological hatred of dogs in the first instance, I am not losing any sleep on the loss of 40 or 50 unbalanced and unstable dogs.

I’ll wager they were in the main status dogs* and animals that were too much for their owners to handle. That’s why they were in the home in the first place.

Granted no creature should suffer a deliberate painful death but there are far worse tragedies going on in the world.
The poor person burned to death in a skip in Manchester last night to name but one.

* Judging by the newsreel footage of the err,erm? fine upstanding citizens, motivated by social media to rush to offer assistance at the scene.
The so called 'status' dogs you mention probably ended up in the shelter as a result of the terrible publicity they have received recently. They're not all the blood crazed maniacs that are portrayed. Our dog came from a rescue centre, he's a five stone bull terrier with a massive head and I think his appearance and his breed's reputation put many people off rehoming him, but he's the softest, happiest dog who loves people and other dogs. The poor animals in that shelter were trapped and wouldn't have known what was happening to them and would have been terrified. There may all be other 'worthy' causes around the world but I think animals are just as worthy as any human being, they are still living, feeling beings. Its fantastic that so much money was raised so quickly by so many kind people and the lads who managed to save some of the dogs deserve a medal in my opinion.
Old 16-09-2014, 13:41   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

Anything else isn't worth a hill of beans.
I prefer the metaphor employed by a twentieth-century American Vice President ... it's, shall we say, "pithier"
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 13:47   #57
God Member

Quote:
men, women and children who were locked into a small piece of land and had bombs dropped on them
Sounds like Israel to me.
Old 16-09-2014, 13:59   #58
I am Banned

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer
men, women and children who were locked into a small piece of land and had bombs dropped on them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Sounds like Israel to me.
Or Dresden
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 14:01   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer

Or Dresden
True indeed ... and the list goes on, and on, and on ...
Old 16-09-2014, 14:25   #60
Beacon of light

And we never seem to heed the lessons that history gives us.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..