Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2014, 10:52   #91
Beacon of light

Re: Manchester Dogs Home Fire

Well if you did perchance meet this person and her dog Frisky......I am sure you would be able to hold your own.
The canal on a dark night is to be avoided. You might fall in and drown(or die of the poison).
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-09-2014, 10:53   #92
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Yes, hopefully she will enlighten me.
I'm only curious as Pitbull's grow upto 5 stone+ But you don't see many English bulls etc that grow so big.
He's a Staffordshire bull terrier Accyx, I've even asked when he's been to the vets if they thought he may be a cross breed and two different vets assured me he's not. Apparently, they can be all different shapes and sizes and he just happens to be at the large end of the scale. When we got him I also relied on the fact that he'd been assessed in the rescue centre, I don't think they'd be in the habit of rehoming pit bulls to the general public!
Less likes this.
Old 17-09-2014, 11:16   #93
Full Member+

[QUOTE=DtheP47;1117321]OK west endless your dog may be all sweetness and light, the exception that proves the rule maybe? So why do I see more and more people out walking their dogs carrying sticks these days? No not the fetch it Fido type of stick more the crook or cudgel type. It's just an observation but it does seem more and more the trend this last few years.[/QUObreedwIts not the breed of dog that's the problem with attacks its the idiots who walk them without proper control. Our dog was attacked last year at the end of our path when my son was setting off on a walk and some bloke (in his sixties) thought it was OK to walk his Alsatian along off the lead. The dog launched itself at Arnold and put four puncture wounds under his neck. If he was an aggressive dog he could have taken its head off but, as I mentioned before, he's soft and came off worse. Our last dog was a little Border Lakeland and he too was attacked by a (different) Alsatian off the lead being walked by an older man. People are too quick to tar every Bull breed with the same brush but any breed can be aggressive and its the person in control of the dog who's to blame (and they're not always young thugs either)!
Old 17-09-2014, 13:09   #94
Senior Member+

Red face Re: Manchester Dogs Home Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
He's a Staffordshire bull terrier Accyx, I've even asked when he's been to the vets if they thought he may be a cross breed and two different vets assured me he's not. Apparently, they can be all different shapes and sizes and he just happens to be at the large end of the scale. When we got him I also relied on the fact that he'd been assessed in the rescue centre, I don't think they'd be in the habit of rehoming pit bulls to the general public!
Thanks for clearing this up for me, so he's not just a "bull terrier" (or English bull terrier) he's a 'Staffordshire' bull terrier ( a very large one).

I've never heard of a staff that's grown that big and personally I think the vets and rescue centre are wrong and he is a cross (probably the most common dog found in rescue centres after the "status dog" boom).

I don't see why rescue centres don't re home pit bulls,they are a good breed in my eyes.
I've a close friend with a pit bull terrier (not that he'd openly admit to it) and it's been to the vets numourous times....they say he's a black mouthed cur or staff cross (I can assure you they are wrong).

Anyway, regardless of breed he sounds like a lovely hound, thanks again

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 17-09-2014 at 13:14.
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 13:23   #95
Beacon of light

Quote:

I've never heard of a staff that's grown that big and personally I think the vets and rescue centre are wrong and he is a cross (probably the most common dog found in rescue centres after the "status dog" boom).

Anyway, regardless of breed he sounds like a lovely hound, thanks again
I am sure they would be required to check and make sure he is a Staffordshire Bull terrier before they could re-home him...after all if it was found that he was a mix of one of the Pit Bull terriers and something happened they would be liable for not pointing this out to the family the animal was rehomed to.

There is a potential danger with all dogs...and especially those who are from the rescue centres as in many cases very little is known about their past and their background.
Old 17-09-2014, 13:45   #96
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am sure they would be required to check and make sure he is a Staffordshire Bull terrier before they could re-home him...after all if it was found that he was a mix of one of the Pit Bull terriers and something happened they would be liable for not pointing this out to the family the animal was rehomed to.
I'm not trying to be clever M but how would/can they check and make sure?
I don't think there is any true way of telling without seeing its parents.
It could be 75% staff and 25% other, to look at it would be a staff but technically it's a cross.

If anything did happen it would be up to whoever makes the claim that's its (let's say) a pit bull cross to prove it was a pit bull cross and not for the rescue centre to prove it isn't.Since very little would be known about its past (ie it's parents) I don't think it'd be possible.

password--Accyweb
Old 17-09-2014, 13:46   #97
Senior Member+

Quote:
...personally I think the vets and rescue centre are wrong and he is a cross (probably the most common dog found in rescue centres after the "status dog" boom).
Why do you think you know better than two vets and rescue centre staff who have actually seen this dog in the flesh, when all you have is a brief description and a small pic (Westendlasses avatar) to go off?
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 13:57   #98
Beacon of light

Quote:
I'm not trying to be clever M but how would/can they check and make sure?
I don't think there is any true way of telling without seeing its parents.
It could be 75% staff and 25% other, to look at it would be a staff but technically it's a cross.

If anything did happen it would be up to whoever makes the claim that's its (let's say) a pit bull cross to prove it was a pit bull cross and not for the rescue centre to prove it isn't.Since very little would be known about its past (ie it's parents) I don't think it'd be possible.
I wasn't saying that you were trying to be clever, but it the job of vets to be able to determine these things.
Doggie DNA perhaps.
When the police want to know if a dog is on the list of banned dogs, what do they do?
They get the assistance and better knowledge of those who do know. Vets.
They are trained to know what to look for...and they have a responsibility to ensure they know what they are doing.
Less likes this.
Old 17-09-2014, 14:00   #99
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Why do you think you know better than two vets and rescue centre staff who have actually seen this dog in the flesh, when all you have is a brief description and a small pic (Westendlasses avatar) to go off?
Because I've had numourous dogs,Staffordshire bull terrier being one of them.Also I've done voluntary work at a dogs rescue centre and I've never heard of a pure staff weighing 5stone...it's only my opinion g (one that I'm entitled too) it may well be that I'm wrong,it wouldn't be the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last

password--Accyweb
Old 17-09-2014, 14:05   #100
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Re: Manchester Dogs Home Fire

Quote:
Because I've had numourous dogs,Staffordshire bull terrier being one of them.Also I've done voluntary work at a dogs rescue centre and I've never heard of a pure staff weighing 5stone...it's only my opinion g (one that I'm entitled too) it may well be that I'm wrong,it wouldn't be the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last
Why don't you just accept that there are more knowledgeable people than you instead of just assuming that your conclusions and half facts must carry some weight?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 14:07   #101
Senior Member+

Quote:
I wasn't saying that you were trying to be clever, but it the job of vets to be able to determine these things.
Doggie DNA perhaps.
When the police want to know if a dog is on the list of banned dogs, what do they do?
They get the assistance and better knowledge of those who do know. Vets.
They are trained to know what to look for...and they have a responsibility to ensure they know what they are doing.
Well I know for a fact that not just one vet but two have both seen my friends dog (which is a pitbull ) and they say it's a completely different breed.
As you know M 'so called' professionals can sometimes be wrong.

password--Accyweb
Old 17-09-2014, 14:13   #102
Beacon of light

Those called on by Rescue centres will have a responsibility to make sure they are right.
No rescue centre would home a dog that they thought, or suspected for an instance, was from the list of banned dogs...there would be serious legal implications to their decision......I'm talking about reputable rehoming centres.....some of the rehoming centres are less reputable than others.
As a potential owner, anyone responsible for the care of an animal would want to know(and would ask for) as many details as were available.
But this has come a long way off thread from the original topic and if we don't get back then we will be in danger of getting detention.....lines...or maybe even the 'slipper'.
Old 17-09-2014, 14:21   #103
Senior Member+

Quote:
the 'slipper'.
The slipper ,now that's a blast from the past.
Mother was a deadly shot with the slipper, but that's another story

Getting back to the topic in hand I believe the total raised is 1.5 million (and counting) them dogs are going to be better off than the royal corgi's at this rate.

password--Accyweb
Old 17-09-2014, 14:27   #104
Senior Member+

Quote:
Of course you are allowed your opinions, but to say you know better than a vet because you`ve owned a staffie before and to suggest that because you`ve never heard of something it doesn`t exist, well I find that just plain arrogant, my opinion which i`m entitled to also.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 15:01   #105
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Of course you are allowed your opinions, but to say you know better than a vet because you`ve owned a staffie before and to suggest that because you`ve never heard of something it doesn`t exist, well I find that just plain arrogant, my opinion which i`m entitled to also.
Someone's got their panties in a twist today, "arrogant", No I don't believe I'm superior to anyone........perhaps you mean Less ?

password--Accyweb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..