Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-09-2014, 10:46   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Oh Deary, Deary, Me.

Had a leaflet through the door from Bootstrap. They are asking for book donations, now I have quite a few books that could be useful to them and will do as they ask which is to place them outside on Friday the 19th of September.

There is however one slight fly in the ointment, that day is blue box/white sack day, I wonder how many books might just go in the back of the wrong van?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-09-2014, 13:57   #2

Re: Oh Deary, Deary, Me.

The tension will be unbearable on Friday. Please give us an update.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 14:02   #3
God Member

this will be for the book shop i used to volunteer at, they do amazing work helping with peoples confidence, getting them motivated etc, i know this thread isnt about this but please give generously, they helped me back into work and i myself owe them a great deal
Eric likes this.
Old 16-09-2014, 14:04   #4

I'm sure it is and that they do, but, I would hate to see my contributions going to the wrong place.
Old 16-09-2014, 14:24   #5
Beacon of light

Give them a ring and let them know that their collection could be mistaken for recycling......or if you are putting some books out.....put a big label on them to let the council workers know that it is a charity donation.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 14:36   #6

Re: Re: Oh Deary, Deary, Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Give them a ring and let them know that their collection could be mistaken for recycling......or if you are putting some books out.....put a big label on them to let the council workers know that it is a charity donation.
What?

A) To ring them would cost ME money, that's not happening.

B) It would take away the excitement that is building up to find out what happens Friday.

C) you are assuming that the council workers would have the time to read labels.
Old 16-09-2014, 15:56   #7
Beacon of light

I thought all my advice would fall on stony ground
Old 17-09-2014, 08:57   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I'm sure it is and that they do, but, I would hate to see my contributions going to the wrong place.
I would have thought your books could look after themselves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trunk.jpg (41.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg wizard-using-spell-book-11790614.jpg (41.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Sorcery Spell Book Jackson (2).JPG (271.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Sorcery Spell Book Jackson (3).JPG (178.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg spells.jpg (20.7 KB, 9 views)
Accyexplorer likes this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 09:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
I would have thought your books could look after themselves.
There you go again, same old same old.

Like a broken record the best you can do is repeat your dismal theme of attacking what shows in my public profile.

It is there because unlike you I have a little bit of humour in my bones, now please, do us both a favour stop your boring attempts at being clever at the expense of others, they aren't working.

Oh and if I add pretty please, will you refrain from replying to this post, I do not need to assist you in making a fool of yourself, you are doing an admirable job with all your other smart-ass posts dotted around the site.

Back to books, perhaps this is one you should add to your library?

Of course not, you are far too superior to need friends, virtual or real.
Old 17-09-2014, 21:00   #10

Being book lovers we have always had lots of them on the shelves on all manner of subjects, and reading this thread reminds me (here I go again, sorry, it’s that ‘age’ thing) of when my oldest son was about 6. It was a ‘special book’ day at the school and the children had to take a book to share with the others in the class. Luckily I checked his choice as he was about to go out the door as it was a book of photographs of nude and semi-nude women. I told him he couldn’t take that one as it was not appropriate to which he replied ‘the teacher told us to take our favourite book, and this IS my favourite!’

Needless to say I convinced him to take his second favourite (can’t remember what that was).
DaveinGermany and westendlass like this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 15:37   #11

UPDATE

A touch disappointing, kept all the books separate, as the binmen went past checked they hadn't taken them.
Went out at noonish, just got home, Oh look books still where I left them.

Well what a let down, like hoping whilst on bootstrap that they are after finding you a job, not just using you to keep themselves employed.

Well, it's a fortnight until the recycle-rs are around again, the books will be in the white sack for them.
Old 19-09-2014, 15:41   #12

I have had problems with charities not calling to collect their sacks. The only one I find is reliable is the British Heart Foundation. The rest I no longer bother with.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 16:04   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quite a few different charities leave bags saying "To be collected" n never collect when they say. on that basis i said stuff em a couple of years back.
Old 19-09-2014, 16:46   #14
Beacon of light

The Air Ambulance are also reliable round here.
I divide my stuff between them and BHF.
Old 19-09-2014, 20:50   #15
Senior Member+

On average id say I get 2 charity bags per wk usually ending up in the bin if I'm honest.....sometimes they even try bribing me with a free pen tho personally I can't see how a pen would sway a charitable soul (let alone me).

Anyway, my point is , Assuming they deliver to most of the town and assuming most of these bags end up in the same place as mine (only assumptions mind) perhaps they could be little more vigilent when it comes to wasting resources.
Is it not just a huge waste of time, fuel and plastic etc for very little return or is it just me?

Also, read the small print when deciding the merits of a suitable cause, after all is it really charity when some of these (so called) charities are selling donated clothes etc to Third World countries? Isn't that actually just making money out of poverty (a very callous act imo).

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..