Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Less

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2017, 21:25   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Physical Exosist

I went out for a change being a stop at home sort of guy, the day wasn't overly exciting until, in a club I visited there was an abandoned copy of The Mail On Sunday.

I picked it up and in an attempt to keep myself amused started to read, now as can be expected most of it was, pro Tory, anti labour propaganda.

What I found frightening was agreeing with most of it.

There was one article I read however I totally agreed with.

It was about physical education at school, she described the embarrassment of being a normal child in a sport conscious school, the unnecessary sharing of showers at a delicate age even though it was same sex (or perhaps because it was same sex?).

Yes there are lads, lasses and adults that want sport to be part of their life, I never did, I have never had an objection to people that enjoy sport enjoying sport, but some of us aren't sporty, should never be forced to be sporty and from what I can see today are far healthier than those that got involved.

O.K. I have the odd twinge that I put down to old age, my surviving friends that involved themselves in sports seem to be limping or even worse travelling the pavements on mobility scooters, many are now overweight useless images of their former selves.

I ignored sports, didn't like them, what is healthier? "Play up, play up, play the game".

Or saying, please Sir, I can't play today, I forgot my kit?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-05-2017, 07:15   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Physical Exosist

Like you Less, I hated sport at school.
I was rubbish at it. I couldn't catch a ball for toffee.
Maybe it had something to do with the fact that someone broke a nori on half, covered it in leather and called it a 'rounders' ball.
I couldn't hit a ball either...again, it might have had something to do with hitting one of those balls and getting shock waves travelling up my arms.
As for running, my legs imitated the sails on a windmill.
My friend was a great cross country runner(she ran for the Lancashire juniors)...she would drag me along on those days when we did cross country.
It was always in the depths of winter and my legs looked like blue spam...and navy blue gym knickers...what was that about?

Like you Less...those who like sport are welcome to it. To watch it, to play it...but leave me out of it.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 15:42   #3
Full Member+

I agree whole heartedly. Mind you I was never the right shape anyway to be any good at sport. I did enjoy hockey because that was similar to football and I loved watching that. I remember Miss Tomlinson at AGHS shouting 'You dont dwibble like that.' I have never understood how anyone can actually enjoy running. Each to his own eh?
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 16:34   #4
Beacon of light

I was scared of hockey. Too many of the players did not mind if they cracked your ankles in pursuit of a goal.
I was rubbish at netball. I couldn't remember which bits of the pitch I was allowed in.
P.E. was no better. All that equipment to injure yourself on.
I once told our games mistress(who happened to be the wife of Jim Bowen, of Bullseye fame) that I would prefer to do double maths.(even though I hated maths) So she arranged it for me.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 21:02   #5
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
I agree whole heartedly. Mind you I was never the right shape anyway to be any good at sport. I did enjoy hockey because that was similar to football and I loved watching that. I remember Miss Tomlinson at AGHS shouting 'You dont dwibble like that.' I have never understood how anyone can actually enjoy running. Each to his own eh?
That is another thing, why did most P.E. teachers have a speech impediment?

When I was at college to avoid being physical myself I used to go watch the rugby team, (I and others would sneak off to the nearest pub until needed to report back for the coach home).

There was however one match I remember staying for, it was against a private school, the teacher couldn't pronounce his 'r', and would run along the touch line shouting:-

Wa, wa Wassall top wankers at wassall!

Roughly translated to :-

Rah, rah Rossal, top rankers at Rossal.

His team of lads, always looked so embarrassed and must have lost many a game because of his encouragement.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..