Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2015, 21:46   #31
God Member

Re: Pronunciation

Another irritant similar to 'like' is 'you know'.

I listen to radio four every day. Sometimes the people being interviewed have such irritating speech habits that I switch off.

Another speech irritant I find is many women from USA have such screeching voices that I either switch off literally or mentally (so I don't understand what they say).
Studio25 likes this.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-04-2015, 04:58   #32
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Also 'like'. 'I think, like, I can't come up with a whole sentence in one go, like'.
You do realise you've just alienated yourself to the majority of the denizens of Liverpool & environs.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:17   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
I hate listening to someone who at the end of every sentence goes UP on the last word. It makes every sentence sound like a question. You end up not listening to what they say, just waiting for each last word. Is it a South if England THING?
I pretty sure it's a whole of New Zealand thing. That and the way they pronounce "pen" and "ten" are the easiest way to tell them apart from the Aussies.

And speaking of Poy Rot, my mother-in-law pronounces Dalziel exactly the way it's written.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:26   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
You do realise you've just alienated yourself to the majority of the denizens of Liverpool & environs.
Surely not the majority?
Only the ones who can read?

Actually I didn't realise it was a Liverpool thing, more just young folk.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 14:49   #35
God Member

Who's this Laura Norder that southerners keep going on about, is she the one who does drawerings?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 17:04   #36
Senior Member+

There's a embarrassing video of me on the interweb using incorrect words etc...

....to make matters worse,it's gone virus....

....jacket please

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 21:56   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
denizens of Liverpool & environs.
Seems to me to be a very apt description
Old 16-04-2015, 22:49   #38
God Member

It may be an 'age thing' but I get irritated by people who speak so fast that their vowels seem inaudible, causing the need for extreme concentration to follow what they are saying.

I am only aware of this when listening to the radio - maybe that is because there are no other signs such as body language to assist in following meaning.

More and more often I find myself switching between channels just to find a human voice that is comfortable to listen to.

Since the advent of TV, how a presenter looks seems to matter more than how they sound, when for me sound matters most. A pretty face that cannot express itself properly says nothing worth listening to.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 10:58   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Who's this Laura Norder that southerners keep going on about, is she the one who does drawerings?
'Drawrings' drives me nuts! It seems that most tv presenters say this.

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 12:19   #40

From Little Women: It's proper to use good words and improve your vocabillary.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 15:35   #41
Senior Member+

How would non-Lancastrians view our dialect - not so pronounced now but it is still there.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..