Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By Less
  • 1 Post By landhusweg
  • 1 Post By dotti34
  • 3 Post By dotti34
  • 1 Post By Less

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-07-2022, 16:36   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Spider, Spider, On The Wall...

I moved into this house back in 2007, I thought I was living alone.

After a short while I realised I was sharing the premises with a wolf spider living just under the skirting board of the bathroom.
Didn't give it much thought carried on with life and over the years it would seem to come and go.
It has re-appeared after an absence of a couple of years, at first I thought a different spider, but being curious I googled, and it seems they can live for up to 25 years so it could be the same one.
I decided I would get a web cam to watch it, after all it would just sit still if it knew I had walked in.
£30 spent hoping that I could maybe capture it's life when I wasn't around and maybe share it with others.
I was about to set it up when the thought struck me, a web cam in the bathroom? Now I don't get many female visitors but even with the lens pointing away from the toilet it has to be a no, no, I'd better leave the spider to it's privacy rather than be accused of voyeurism
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-07-2022, 16:52   #2

Re: Spider, Spider, On The Wall...

Over the years my wife has made friends with a couple of spiders (Daddy Long Legs). They come and go and like Less’s they hang about in the bathroom. The love it when she showers and the steam rises upwards near their “nest”.
A couple of times the female (must be) came and showed her the new young ones, very cute really.
dotti34 likes this.
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2022, 05:00   #3

Good thinking, Less, because you know that no-one would have believed your story about the spider being the reason for the web cam being there. Would you have believed it if it had been anyone else's story.....

Last edited by dotti34; 29-07-2022 at 05:03.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2022, 05:04   #4

We used to have a Huntsman Spider that lived in the house for ages. Didn’t move far and we called it Sebastian.
Stevie R likes this.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:40   #5

This should probably be in the blog section but as, in my opinion at least, it’s a step up from a spider in the bathroom I thought I’d include it here.

Had a different sort of visitor late the other night. I was fast asleep when there was a huge clatter from the fireplace, woke me up good and proper. It sounded like the chimney was falling in, that was until I saw an animal in the room. Looked like an overgrown rat – bigger even than a cat, but when I saw the bushy tail I realised that a possum had fallen down the chimney. I do not want any ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’ because although possums have been written up as lovely little creatures in children’s books, they are pests. They carry disease, they scratch and bite, they can be vicious, and they leave deposits everywhere.

I chased it with a broom and it went into the bathroom, so I promptly closed the door on it. After a sleepless night, me that is - not the possum, followed by a friend’s unsuccessful attempt to get it out and a number of phone calls, a man came to remove it at 5 o’clock the next day. Thankfully my loo is not in the bathroom. otherwise I would have been up the proverbial creek without a paddle. Originally having climbed behind some pipes under the sink, it was now asleep on a towel it had pulled from the rack. The man wore overalls, goggles, a hat – don’t know what that was for, a mask, and some very long strong gloves.

The possum was uncooperative, and by the time it had been sent on its way outside, the bathroom looked like a battle had been fought in there. Definitely a lot of deposits on the floor, so a thorough cleaning had to take place, being extremely careful because it’s mainly the faeces that carry disease. The man was breathing heavy, had broken a spin mop that doesn’t spin anymore, and used three bath towels.

As I have already had a bird down the chimney and now a possum I’m getting it blocked up. Father Christmas will have to find another way down. Oh! the joys of living in Australia….and Less, I’d rather have your spider any day, with or without a web cam.

Last edited by dotti34; 05-08-2022 at 05:46.
Old 05-08-2022, 07:09   #6

If you had only said, I've got a spare web cam from a non starting project, you could have turned the possum into a star...
Ah, no, same problem can't put camera in the bathroom.
dotti34 likes this.
Old 05-08-2022, 07:43   #7

Less, that picture is hilarious, it has made me laugh so much that it has been almost (though I do mean only 'almost') worth having had the possum experience. It's a gem.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Less, that picture is hilarious, it has made me laugh so much that it has been almost (though I do mean only 'almost') worth having had the possum experience. It's a gem.
These things are only a click away, out there on the www, do you know? There are even a few piccys of peoples cats that can be googled.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..