Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-08-2014, 21:04   #16

Re: T T T Tourette's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
.I'll get back to you all when I've had time to think
Oh, that will be some time then!
Eric likes this.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 31-08-2014, 21:23   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Oh, that will be some time then!
It's was nearly funny that M

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 21:26   #18

Be honest: you expected the reaction you have got on this thread. It was meant to be provocative, wasn't it?
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2014, 23:51   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Be honest: you expected the reaction you have got on this thread. It was meant to be provocative, wasn't it?
Honestly, yes, I half expected the reaction and it was meant to be provocative I'm guilty
However, I still stand by my comments

password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 31-08-2014 at 23:54.
Old 31-08-2014, 23:55   #20
Senior Member+

I asked myself is it possible for someone to joke about certain disabilities in a non-malicious way? And I think yes.
I'm sorry if it doesn't sit well that my reaction to someone shouting random swear words is to think that it's humorous.....

....they may swear,squeak and click but they're still normal folk and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want folk to feel like other folk were pitying them because of their condition (maybe I'm wrong).

password--Accyweb
Old 01-09-2014, 01:15   #21
Senior Member+

Straight from the horses mouth so to speak...

...."Thom has Tourette's Syndrome and says 'biscuit' sixteen times a minute. A visual artist and a graduate of the Royal College of Art, she founded Touretteshero to celebrate the humour that can emerge from Tourette's, challenge misconceptions about the syndrome and encourage people to familiarise themselves with the creative opportunities it presents".......BISCUIT
Old 01-09-2014, 07:03   #22
Beacon of light

Quote:
I asked myself is it possible for someone to joke about certain disabilities in a non-malicious way? And I think yes.
I'm sorry if it doesn't sit well that my reaction to someone shouting random swear words is to think that it's humorous.....

....they may swear,squeak and click but they're still normal folk and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want folk to feel like other folk were pitying them because of their condition (maybe I'm wrong).
There is a big difference between pity and respect......and if it were normal then we would all be doing it.

If there is a way to be humorous about a disability, then it is a very fine line.....and I think that the only people who can poke fun at disability are those who are themselves disabled.....or less able.
Being provocative will get you no brownie points. I thought you had learned that from your past experiences on here.
dotti34 and Michael1954 like this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 01-09-2014 at 07:07.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:51   #23

Accyexplorer, you are probably right in that people with Tourettes would not want pity- but I’m sure they would appreciate some empathy regarding their condition and a bit of consideration regarding something they have no control over. They would not appreciate being made fun of.

How magnanimous of you to say they are ‘still normal folk’. Of course they are normal folk, they don’t need you to tell them this.

As much as some sufferers of a disability are able to make light of their affliction and poke fun at themselves, they are the only ones who have the right to do so. They have my full admiration for being able to deal with it in this way but I am sure given the opportunity they would definitely prefer not to have a disability.

I ask you this, how would you feel if someone close to you was a sufferer of Tourette Syndrome and you saw or heard them being ridiculed, I doubt you would see any funny side to it. You certainly wouldn’t be laughing at their uncontrollable actions, however much they may ‘swear, squeak and click’. I guarantee your thread on Accyweb would be very different to this one.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:51   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Honestly, yes, I half expected the reaction and it was meant to be provocative I'm guilty
However, I still stand by my comments
So you were just trolling by posting something crass(sorry, provocative). You're not very good at it, you back pedal too quickly. Must try harder! Or give up and post something worth reading.

And you stand by your comments?
It's a pity you don't know someone with alzheimer's, they say and do some really funny things. You'd laugh your socks off.
nicola68 likes this.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 01-09-2014 at 11:57.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 13:16   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
There is a big difference between pity and respect......and if it were normal then we would all be doing it.

If there is a way to be humorous about a disability, then it is a very fine line.....and I think that the only people who can poke fun at disability are those who are themselves disabled.....or less able.
Being provocative will get you no brownie points. I thought you had learned that from your past experiences on here.
I agree, it's a very fine line indeed M, I disagree that the only folk who can make humour out of comedy envolvong disabilities (or "poke fun at") is those that are disabled or "less able" (even if they are understandably more in tune with the subject.)
I knew this was going to be a touchy subject for most folk, but i still (wrongly by the looks of it) thought it worthy of being kicked around a bit on here. I wasn't after brownie/friendship points,likes,karma etc (you should all know that by now).
Seems I've still a lot to learn M

password--Accyweb
Old 01-09-2014, 13:27   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
Accyexplorer, you are probably right in that people with Tourettes would not want pity- but I’m sure they would appreciate some empathy regarding their condition and a bit of consideration regarding something they have no control over. They would not appreciate being made fun of.

How magnanimous of you to say they are ‘still normal folk’. Of course they are normal folk, they don’t need you to tell them this.

As much as some sufferers of a disability are able to make light of their affliction and poke fun at themselves, they are the only ones who have the right to do so. They have my full admiration for being able to deal with it in this way but I am sure given the opportunity they would definitely prefer not to have a disability.

I ask you this, how would you feel if someone close to you was a sufferer of Tourette Syndrome and you saw or heard them being ridiculed, I doubt you would see any funny side to it. You certainly wouldn’t be laughing at their uncontrollable actions, however much they may ‘swear, squeak and click’. I guarantee your thread on Accyweb would be very different to this one.
Fair comments, I half expected them dotti.
I agree, I probably wouldn't be laughing if I had a disability,illness that someone was making humour out of.

Seems it was a bad subject matter,it won't happen again (anytime soon).

password--Accyweb
Old 01-09-2014, 13:29   #27
Beacon of light

Yes, I think you have...but a willingness to do so is a good start.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 13:32   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
So you were just trolling
Yes, I guess so

password--Accyweb
Old 01-09-2014, 14:21   #29
Senior Member+

At the risk of sounding more like a ignorant "idiot", why is it acceptable to make fun of let's say scoucer's as thieves or the Irish as slightly less intelligent? folk don't seem to be raising a ruckus over that and they can't help coming from Liverpool of Ireland.
I didnt expect to persuade anyone to change their views on (insensitive,offensive) comedy I wanted to have a discussion about it.

I guess I have learnt something though...

.....never to try make light humour at the expense of marginalised folk and you can't control the response of those your trying to debate with

password--Accyweb
Old 01-09-2014, 14:25   #30
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
At the risk of sounding more like a ignorant "idiot",
No risk, more of an inevitability.
Here, have a winky smiley just to show I mean no harm.

Oops sorry I'm new at this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..