Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2016, 19:46   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Technology??

I can cope with most of it, I can read therefore if I read something several times I can sometimes work out how things will work the way I want them to.

What I so far haven't come to understand is the ring pull.

No, not the ring pull on a can of beer, my survival meant I needed to get my head around that very quickly, a quick pull a bit of a gasp as the pressure is released and drink, no problem...

The awkward part is cans of soup, sardines, vegetables and other such goods now no longer needing a can opener.

So we pull on the ring, the can opens yet again with a satisfying HIIISSSSS, unfortunately, trying to remove the lid leaves you covered with part of the contents, why does the last quarter of an inch hang on until you use frustration to tug, then cover yourself with the contents of the tin?

I've had the same can opener for several decades, it worked, it never covered me with my food.
no matter how careful we are, ring pull food always spills, are they sponsored by detergent companies to do this?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2016, 11:07   #2

Re: Technology??

As far as I know you don't need to pull the lid completely off, just back far enough to get the contents out.

This is all "so I heard" as it is a long time since I was allowed to cook anything due to me burning everything
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:26   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

You can use one of the under the folded edge tin openers to open them if you no longer have the manual dexterity to mange the new fangled tins.
Old 06-09-2016, 13:24   #4
God Member

Try YouTube. The professionals will show you how it's supposed to be done. Here's one can opening task I've always had problems with:

If all else fails, use a machete. I keep one behind behind my front door, next to the Louisville slugger and the shotgun.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 15:14   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Some corned beef tins have the key stuck on with glue now. I've noticed a few where the key has fallen off. Then you have a problem as most tin openers don't like the tight corners. I stab a couple of holes in the small end of the tin with a knife. It lets the air in when you lever the contents out
Old 06-09-2016, 19:04   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You can use one of the under the folded edge tin openers to open them if you no longer have the manual dexterity to mange the new fangled tins.
Unfortunately, it isn't a lack of manual dexterity that is the problem, as stated:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
So we pull on the ring, the can opens yet again with a satisfying HIIISSSSS, unfortunately, trying to remove the lid leaves you covered with part of the contents, why does the last quarter of an inch hang on until you use frustration to tug, then cover yourself with the contents of the tin?
Mankind and it's advances will come closer to perfection when they consider the last tug a full can requires, if we can avoid that, we can then avoid threads like this, life will be perfect.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:22   #7
I am Banned

I can relate to the can's lid. Well, Its quite difficult to open it especially when you are in a hurry then it was suddenly broken. When it happens, I just try to open it with a can opener.
redgeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..