Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2007, 16:16   #61
Give, give, give member

Re: The whole Jade/shilpa stuff...

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/arti...brother_racism

I'd need to see transcripts of the alleged racism before I could possibly agree.

Shilpa's cooking skills were questioned, and she was rudely called a dog, behind her back. Also agree that her name was constantly mispronounced by one housemate, but so was bloody Ken Russell's, as was Dirk Benedict's name by Shilpa herself.

Is that racist?

Is it f**k!

This kind of over sensitive, liberal clap trap, takes away some of the gravitas from when real racism does occur, and the very real problems it brings.

I say this as someone who as sixteen year old received death threats, for publicly standing up and shaming the intelligence of the local leader of the National Front.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-01-2007, 16:33   #62
Resident Waffler

Good grief there were protest marches and placard bearers on TV just now. For goodness sakes OTT or what?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 16:33   #63
Give, give, give member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6270825.stm

At least all the people who complained can take comfort in the fact that they will have boosted the show's ratings, albeit for all the wrong reasons.

Old 17-01-2007, 16:39   #64
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Good grief there were protest marches and placard bearers on TV just now. For goodness sakes OTT or what?

..and the burning of effigies in India.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...551921,00.html

Who can I phone up and complain to about the disgraceful attitude shown to effigies wearing yellow jackets?

Old 17-01-2007, 17:01   #65
Senior Member+

Quote:
Jade Goody - whose fame was built on things such as saying she thought East Anglia was a foreign country.
Come on that explains it all!! Along with someone who sung "Reach" in S Club 7 and a girl who's sh*****g a footballer. Really does it need to get so out of hand?? I dont think what they are doing is right, but any need to take it so far. They'll get booed when they are evicted then we'll forget about them in a few weeks time!!
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 18:17   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Shilpa's cooking skills were questioned, and she was rudely called a dog, behind her back. Also agree that her name was constantly mispronounced by one housemate, but so was bloody Ken Russell's, as was Dirk Benedict's name by Shilpa herself.

Is that racist?

Is it f**k!

This kind of over sensitive, liberal clap trap, takes away some of the gravitas from when real racism does occur, and the very real problems it brings.

I say this as someone who as sixteen year old received death threats, for publicly standing up and shaming the intelligence of the local leader of the National Front.
You've missed a fair bit then. Jo and Danielle have been imitating her accent - and not in a jokey way with her as she has with Jade. They've been doing it behind her back to insult her, exaggerating her accent in an attempt to undermine her. Danielle has made comments about Indian culture in the context that we are better than them. Jack has also been saying some very ambiguous things.

While that might not be seen as straight racism by some people and it is almost probably the product of ignorance, jealousy and bullying, the fact is they are still using the girls race to insult and undermine her.

That's what's getting up some people's noses.

Last edited by booth76; 17-01-2007 at 18:21.
booth76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 19:02   #67
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth76 View Post
You've missed a fair bit then. Jo and Danielle have been imitating her accent - and not in a jokey way with her as she has with Jade. They've been doing it behind her back to insult her, exaggerating her accent in an attempt to undermine her. Danielle has made comments about Indian culture in the context that we are better than them. Jack has also been saying some very ambiguous things.

While that might not be seen as straight racism by some people and it is almost probably the product of ignorance, jealousy and bullying, the fact is they are still using the girls race to insult and undermine her.

That's what's getting up some people's noses.

I've missed very little actually. Immitating someone's accent, is in my book, not racist. It's bullying, pure and simple. After all Shilpa herself has on more than one occasion took the micky out of Jade's appalling Mockney Estuary English.

Is that to be seen as prejudiced against the mentally challenged?

Old 17-01-2007, 19:32   #68
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Is that to be seen as prejudiced against the mentally challenged?
Leave Chav out of this discussion, he can't help being a biff
Old 17-01-2007, 21:21   #69
God Member

My complaint was not specifically about racism, it was about bullying. I felt, and still feel, that Big Brother has encouraged a culture of bullying in the house - ironically what I did not complain about was them actually showing the bullying, I think that it should be shown if that's what happened rather than anything being brushed under the carpet.

Yes, I agree it's very easy to play the race card in situations like this but I do think that a culture clash is partly the reason for Shilpa being singled out. However, I think the over riding factor is class, of which Shilpa has in bucket loads and Jade has none.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 22:42   #70
Give, give, give member

Pesonally I abhor people's use of any label that could undermine very serious issues. Especially as I think it undermines what can be very serious hate crimes, be it racism, false accusations of rape, sexism or homophobia.

Two examples to illustrate my point.

1/ A few years ago a mixed group of friends and myself, were leaving a gay club in Brixton, south London. We were chased by a group of thugs wielding baseball bats, shouting abuse, relating to the place we'd just left. One of our party was beaten, and he needed hospital treatment.

Was that an act of homophobia?

Yes it was.

Would it still have been so, if it was the same group leaving a straight club, and without the verbal taunts?

No, it would just have been an act of mindless thuggery.

2/ Recently I was asked to help choreograph a fashion show. Quite a big deal for me to agree to help, as I never know until the day if my health will allow me to do something. I turn up, at the appointed time, looking forward to be able to do something useful for a change, and at which my fashion background would be an advantage.

Ten minutes after my arrival I was told my services would no longer be required, as some of the Muslim women had a problem with me. Off I went, tail between my legs. Truth be told, feeling a little down and rejected.

Was this an act of racism, sexism, or indeed homophobia?

No of course not, it was simply a waste of my time. Simple as.

In tonight's Big Brother, Shilpa herself asked if the treatment she was receiving was racist, and concurred that it was.

I am still of the same opinion that the bullying she has been subjected to in the programme isn't racist. This is what tends to happen. The victim starts to look for reasons why this is happening to them. Bullying happens very often for no apparent reason, but in this case I do agree it is more about a cultural and educational clash, than it is about race.

The whole show seemed to be summed up for me tonight, when Danielle asked if Jack could read, when he'd been asked to re-do the shopping task. Baically these people, Jade, Danielle, Jo, and Jack are unintelligent, and jealous of a more balanced, successful, and happy person.

Throughout all of this furore, Shilpa as acted with dignity, and remarkable calmness. Whatever the outcome of the show, she will come out of this a winner.

Rumour on the grapevine, though I don't know if it is true, is that in this week's nominations, both Shilpa and Jade will face the public vote.

I think one young lady from Bermondsy, who was taken to the nation's heart, because of her naive innocence, is in for one big wake up call, in light of her recent behaviour. The thing that made her, might well break her.

Old 17-01-2007, 23:14   #71
Give, give, give member

It looks like my mole was right, and that Shilpa and Jade will go head to head in the public vote.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertain...52&p=zx7488458

Old 17-01-2007, 23:58   #72
Give, give, give member

824 world wide news stories on Google, regarding this story. From Australia to North America, and of course India.

Endemol and Channel 4, will be rubbing their hands all the way to the bank.

Old 18-01-2007, 00:00   #73
I am Banned

i find it very interesting that the show has been receiving lots of bad press for been the most boring big brother ever then out of the blue this situation arrrives

seriously how guilable do you have to be to watch this crap and believe it isnt scripted
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 00:13   #74
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1 View Post
seriously how guilable do you have to be to watch this crap and believe it isnt scripted

Oh dear.

Still bitter that I told you that you couldn't come for a brew last Friday night?..... Friday being eviction night

Old 18-01-2007, 00:36   #75
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by booth76 View Post
Danielle has made comments about Indian culture in the context that we are better than them. Jack has also been saying some very ambiguous things..
hmm i didnt know miss kitty was like that and i certainly find it hard to beleive her son would say anything horrible about anyone
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..