Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2016, 19:14   #31
Beacon of light

Re: Well it's local elections, did you bother to vote?

I agree that councillors should not be out of pocket, but neither should they rake in a large amount of money for what they do.
Many councillors go into local politics because they want to make a difference in their community, to improve that community.....not their bank balance
Gremlin likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-05-2016, 21:00   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I agree that councillors should not be out of pocket, but neither should they rake in a large amount of money for what they do.
Many councillors go into local politics because they want to make a difference in their community, to improve that community.....not their bank balance
Could someone please tell me where the button or whatever, is to say that you like a post, with me still being a relative newcomer to Bill Gates infernal machine, also sometimes called (a computer), I am still learning. Thanks in advance, Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 21:04   #33
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
I don't think any local councillors make lots of money. I don't think I have a problem with the expenses as they are
Old 09-05-2016, 21:16   #34
Beacon of light

Neil, the thing is that in days gone by they did it for pride...for the local area.
I don't know whether local councillors make lots of money...and it really depends on what your definition of 'lots of money' is.
If councillors are making 30,00 per year( and I don't know if they are or not) that is a very nice earner.
No-one is saying that they should be out of pocket......but neither should it be the main income (unless they are spending 40 hours a week doing the job).
Old 09-05-2016, 21:18   #35
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Could someone please tell me where the button or whatever, is to say that you like a post, with me still being a relative newcomer to Bill Gates infernal machine, also sometimes called (a computer), I am still learning. Thanks in advance, Taddy.
Taddy...if you look down in the lower right, towards the bottom of the post you will see 'like' printed in red.
If you click on this it will record a like for that partcular post.
Old 10-05-2016, 19:17   #36

Quote:
Taddy...if you look down in the lower right, towards the bottom of the post you will see 'like' printed in red.
If you click on this it will record a like for that partcular post.
Sorry Marge but the only things printed in red on the bottom right of my screen in every post are, Quote, a plus sign, reply and the page numbers, does the Plus sign mean "like". Your's, Taddy.
Old 10-05-2016, 19:18   #37

Sorry also Edit
Old 10-05-2016, 19:22   #38
Beacon of light

No..it isn't a button.....just above the +button you should see the word Like
If you touch this Like..it will register your 'like' for that particular post.
Old 10-05-2016, 19:26   #39
Beacon of light

You won't see the red word'like' on your own posts for obvious reasons...you can't register a 'like ' for your own posts. You need to look on the posts of other people.
Old 10-05-2016, 19:37   #40
Beacon of light

taddy...just for you and because I seem not to be explaining it very well...I have taken a screen shot to show what the LIKE looks like.
Hope it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo screen shot (640x579).jpg (147.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-05-2016, 20:22   #41

Quote:
taddy...just for you and because I seem not to be explaining it very well...I have taken a screen shot to show what the LIKE looks like.
Hope it helps.
Thank you, I don't know how I missed it.
Old 10-05-2016, 21:03   #42
Beacon of light

You are welcome.
Glad to shine a light here and there.
Old 10-05-2016, 21:43   #43
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Neil, the thing is that in days gone by they did it for pride...for the local area.
I don't know whether local councillors make lots of money...and it really depends on what your definition of 'lots of money' is.
If councillors are making 30,00 per year( and I don't know if they are or not) that is a very nice earner.
No-one is saying that they should be out of pocket......but neither should it be the main income (unless they are spending 40 hours a week doing the job).
I quoted the highest which is the leader of the council which in my opinion is a full time job if the leader is any good. It's not just the hours put in that people see, it's the late night calls and meetings with residents most people never hear about.

In days gone by councillors were mainly business men who didn't need the money and maybe did it for other reasons. Do you really want the only people making decisions to be those people now?

Here is a link to the document I read about who got what expenses wise so you can see the wide spread depending on if they were a councillor for the full year and if they sat or chaired other committees etc

http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/downloa...ances_1415.pdf
Old 11-05-2016, 06:34   #44
Beacon of light

I know a councillor, so I am aware of the level of commitment that is needed for this responsible role.
But Neil, you know when you take on the job what it entails....or you should do.
As to whether I would like to go back to having local businessmen in charge of decisions made on behalf of the town......well, quite frankly, if they can do a better job of it and get the town back up from its current sitting position......I don't care.

And don't try to sell me the line that ALL small towns are going through the same doldrums.

Maybe having businessmen in charge might not be such a bad idea......they might actually know what they are doing, have the skills to see what is needed and the muscle to get things done.

Removing party banners would be a good start, breaking the link with political parties might mean that people would choose the right person for the job instead of looking at who travels under what political banner.
In caring for local communities, politics should take a back seat.Those who are councillors should work collaboratively and drop the adversarial stance that seems to be adopted by some on the council(these would probably disappear quite naturally if party allegiances were dropped).
Old 11-05-2016, 22:30   #45
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Can't see party allegiances ever being dropped.
We even had a group of not so independants in Hyndburn that named themselves something like Independants of Hyndburn. Are they still about? I know one of them jumped ship again and went to UKIP but he does appear to go wherever he can get votes

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..