Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-10-2012, 22:23   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Wildlife and Bonfires

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
Perhaps only predictable to me , then !I mean in the animal pics thread, this thread, other one I can't remember title of.

Gardening gloves are good. I think I just know how to pick them up-have never been hurt by one.

You know, Kya is not bothered AT ALL by them. To a weird extent . Hardly raises an ear. Other noises she is like any other dog, straight off to investigate but not with fireworks. I guess it's much better than her being scared so I don't mind!

Between 7 am and 11pm, I think it is illegal to use fireworks. I could be wrong I'm not the oracle on it but I *think* so . It scares me that any member of the public over 18 can easily get their hands on them, any time of year from a licensed establishment. I'm a bit biased though I guess, I've never liked fireworks.
Like you, I know how to pick them up, if you do it gently and cup your hands all you feel are the tips of the spines like a plastic hair brush. It's if you try and grab it with fingers out stretched, that's when you get hurt by them.

When I used to look after a friends dog it used to cower under chairs when fireworks were let off.

Down here, they only start letting off fireworks few days before the big night and then usually stop. They got better behaved a few years ago as far as I recall. I'm sure up north they carry on letting them off after the 5th.

Last edited by kestrelx; 24-10-2012 at 22:26.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-10-2012, 22:34   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Like you, I know how to pick them up, if you do it gently and cup your hands all you feel are the tips of the spines like a plastic hair brush. It's if you try and grab it with fingers out stretched, that's when you get hurt by them.

When I used to look after a friends dog it used to cower under chairs when fireworks were let off.

Down here, they only start letting off fireworks few days before the big night and then usually stop. They got better behaved a few years ago as far as I recall. I'm sure up north they carry on letting them off after the 5th.
That's exactly what I mean!

Also , if you're nervy picking them up and your hands are trembly and you're not 'deliberate' enough, they tend to be more alarmed and stick their spines out more. I just scoop them up as you describe, and hold them to me if I need to carry them.

I worry for dogs, cats, rabbits and guinea pigs as well as wildlife so just try to do my bit to be a 'slacktivist' and raise a bit of awareness
Old 25-10-2012, 07:02   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
That's exactly what I mean!

Also , if you're nervy picking them up and your hands are trembly and you're not 'deliberate' enough, they tend to be more alarmed and stick their spines out more. I just scoop them up as you describe, and hold them to me if I need to carry them.

I worry for dogs, cats, rabbits and guinea pigs as well as wildlife so just try to do my bit to be a 'slacktivist' and raise a bit of awareness
I havn't handled a hedgehog for a long time but from what I recall the more scared they are the more prominant the spines are.

So your a couchcampaigner!
Old 25-10-2012, 10:36   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:

I would try to find out who it is and get them reported if it's after time. If they're letting them off for just, the sake of it, there's a chance they could also be using them otherwise irresponsibly.
But then as I said I've always disliked fireworks!
Waste of time sugermouse report it around here n yeh will be accused of being a racist n then ignored.
Old 25-10-2012, 11:21   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Waste of time sugermouse report it around here n yeh will be accused of being a racist n then ignored.
What has fireworks being let off got to do with race?
Old 25-10-2012, 11:24   #21

Quote:
I havn't handled a hedgehog for a long time but from what I recall the more scared they are the more prominant the spines are.

So your a couchcampaigner!
Yes it's true, they curl up thus sticking their spikes further out. Unfortunately this also means if they ARE trapped and terrified in a bonfire, rather than making a run for it, they curl up...Spines are no defence against flames!

Yes I am. Lol.
You know I wouldn't do it if I didn't think it worked to some extent though. Forums/facebook etc do have a wide audience, they've worked on me-also especially nowadays if somebody wants to know something they tend to go straight to google.

I still have a fair bit of direct involvement as well, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Unfortunately, I can totally believe that
Old 25-10-2012, 11:27   #22
Senior Member+

Quote:

Unfortunately, I can totally believe that
But what does racism have to do with fireworks? Kids were letting them off in Accy long before their was a large Asian contingent.
Old 25-10-2012, 11:43   #23

I can't speak on cashman's behalf, but am sure he speaks from experience!
Old 25-10-2012, 12:07   #24
God Member

Quote:
But what does racism have to do with fireworks? Kids were letting them off in Accy long before their was a large Asian contingent.
The local asian community have adopted the practice of having fireworks displays at weddings.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 13:26   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The local asian community have adopted the practice of having fireworks displays at weddings.
Oh thanks for that information makes sense. It's like if you live in Brazil loud music all night is the norm, people don't complain. But here it's anti-social.
Old 25-10-2012, 21:25   #26
Senior Member+

we have a hedgehog in our garden, it runs round some mornings, i never knew they could run so fast!

on topic, i wont be having or going to a bonfire, horrible things

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 21:53   #27
Senior Member+

The last hedgehog I saw was in a quiet lane and as soon as a car came it curled up. It was quite a big one as well. Unfortunately this is the only photo I managed to get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hedgehog.jpg (263.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 27-10-2013, 18:26   #28
Senior Member+

Nice one , Max has already started on Zylkene to try to calm him down with the fireworks
Sunflower49 likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2013, 18:37   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I have/had no intention of explaining meself to you, People around this way will no doubt clearly understand, you don't matter to me.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..