Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By maxthecollie
  • 1 Post By Less
  • 1 Post By esteemedjuju

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2012, 20:02   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Yes, I'm So Stupid I Need A Hand On A Stick.

Called in at ASDA, just for a few things, less than a tenner, so it would all fit in one bag.
Unfortunately I came out of the aisles at the bottom end where the tills are hardly ever open, I could see because the lights where only on at the top end I would have a long walk before being able to get served.
Out of nowhere appeared a smile on a stick, it was a forced smile, it had the look of, if you think you're ****ed off I've been doing this all afternoon.
Even though the lights where off she pointed the stick at every counter even though they were closed, until we finally found one with a live cashier, she pointed with real excitement, the cashier apologised, I'm sorry I'm just doing my last customer.
On I walked following my guide, three more tills each one apologised for going off duty.
I decided to head on alone, and speeded up, this stick person was a jinx!
She overtook me, still managing to point the stick, I put on a last quick spurt and reached a counter that was still serving, she caught up and pointed the finger at the convey-er belt.
I turned to her and said, 'do you know, I could have found this on my own, I'm not really stupid, perhaps it would have been easier for both of us if you'd opened a till down the other end?'
Oh dear, not only did she roll her eye's at my ingratitude but the lass beeping my beer shook every can as she passed it through, just to show solidarity. I will have to wait two days before I can next drink at home because of that.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-11-2012, 20:27   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Yes, I'm So Stupid I Need A Hand On A Stick.

Next time buy a 20 pack but if she can still shake that up and down keep well out of her reach!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 21:22   #3
Senior Member+

Hehe the smiles on a stick. Dunno what job would be worse. That or wearing the mask and standing at the traffic lights.....

I was refused for Red Stag at the Asda a month or so ago. I was Ill, exhausted and pretty angry at the woman that thought I was not old enough to drink. The whiskey I wanted more for medicinal purposes. We debated.

Fair enough, It couldve been a compliment. After all she thought I did not look 25 I am 34 years old and being refused, I had prob 6 months of beard growth and well... I think most rational people would realize that I am old enough to drink, either that or I have an abnormal amount of testosterone.

Well I had said something about these kids getting served(they looked 14) and she said " I was going to serve you till you said that " I was a bit cranky with her and said I would pay for the ice and go to Tesco to buy the whiskey and on the way out I would make a complaint. I think she had been messing with me a little, well at least my friend thought so. In the end I was served
Old 26-11-2012, 21:56   #4
Senior Member+

Show them your bus pass
Restless likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 23:06   #5
God Member

It is a very long time since I visited a supermarket and have never heard of a supermarket employee who you describe as 'a smile on a stick'.

I can't see the purpose of wielding a stick.
Could it be that using a finger to point to a usable till is not acceptable?

To be armed with a stick seems to be a self defence weapon at the ready, which might be useful since their actions seem designed to provoke hostility.

Have supermarkets degenerated into hostile places where psychological battles are waged with the shoppers

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 01:40   #6

I've seen these things in ASDA,big green 'hands' that the workers stand with and point at available tills. Some folk may have found it funny I suppose!
I was once with my friend in ASDA and bumped into another friend, and must have looked to be obviously conversing with her, when one of these 'Hands' appeared and the dude told me 'Till free over here, love'!
The friend I was shopping with said to me 'JEN!You're not allowed to talk to your friends in ASDA, you know'!!And 'hand' wielder walked off looking miffed.
I wouldn't care but we weren't in the way, blocking any aisles or anything, she'd had a baby since I last saw her and I found it rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Hehe the smiles on a stick. Dunno what job would be worse. That or wearing the mask and standing at the traffic lights.....

I was refused for Red Stag at the Asda a month or so ago. I was Ill, exhausted and pretty angry at the woman that thought I was not old enough to drink. The whiskey I wanted more for medicinal purposes. We debated.

Fair enough, It couldve been a compliment. After all she thought I did not look 25 I am 34 years old and being refused, I had prob 6 months of beard growth and well... I think most rational people would realize that I am old enough to drink, either that or I have an abnormal amount of testosterone.
It is a compliment, or more like-somebody being scared of getting sacked.I think 'SPAR' actually tried to make it 'Look 30 or be asked for I.D' at one point.
I like being asked for I.D now ..But ONLY if I've remembered to carry it!
Old 27-11-2012, 04:13   #7
Roy
Administrator

Seriously, have we got these in the UK now? Seen them at walmart, but only when they are really busy and ALL tills are manned! Can understand Americans being too thick to find the shortest queue, but didn't think we had de-generated to that level!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 08:02   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
she'd had a baby since I last saw her and I found it rude.

Yes, babies can seem rude, it's because they haven't yet developed any social skills, even grumpy old me makes allowances for babies, I suggest you do the same.
Michael1954 likes this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 15:17   #9

Don't blame the person with the stick they are only doing what the manager tells them to and as Asda is now Walmart these americanisms keep appearing what buga me is the self service checkouts where they still scan your stuff for you what is the point there can be queues at checkouts and still they have 3 or 4 workin on the SELF SERVICE checkouts
Restless likes this.
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 15:56   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
and must have looked to be obviously conversing with her, when one of these 'Hands' appeared and the dude told me 'Till free over here, love'!
are you sure he wasn't trying to get you to actually buy that butternut squash ?

Old 27-11-2012, 16:25   #11
God Member

My supermarket deliveries cost me £110 a year - (£2.12 a week) - worth every penny to avoid all the hassle.

http://www.ocado.com/theocadoway/del...very-pass.html

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 19:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Yes, babies can seem rude, it's because they haven't yet developed any social skills, even grumpy old me makes allowances for babies, I suggest you do the same.

Some people still fail at such skills WELL past baby age lol

(I don't like babies at all really) :\
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteemedjuju View Post
Don't blame the person with the stick they are only doing what the manager tells them to and as Asda is now Walmart these americanisms keep appearing what buga me is the self service checkouts where they still scan your stuff for you what is the point there can be queues at checkouts and still they have 3 or 4 workin on the SELF SERVICE checkouts
True-I still use them every chance I have though despite there always being some issue, when I do!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
are you sure he wasn't trying to get you to actually buy that butternut squash ?

I stuffed it down my tights to hide it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
My supermarket deliveries cost me £110 a year - (£2.12 a week) - worth every penny to avoid all the hassle.

The Ocado Way
I keep meaning to try that...I tend to get different things from different places, though.
Old 29-11-2012, 22:23   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I very rarely use these stupid self service efforts, i mean christ,i'm a coffin dodger n then i have to wait ages to be certified old enough to buy a bottle of wine, its ruddy quicker joining a short queue.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..