Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Jobs
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Jobs Situations Vacant & Wanted/Further education/Career Advice Advertise job vacancies. Let people know you are looking for a position. Advertise your skills. Give or ask for info on Further Education. Which are good firms to work for?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2011, 19:36   #1
God Member

Amazing job opportunities for FIVE young people

Alternative Saturday JobsThey're alternative Saturday jobs because you wouldn't have to work on Saturdays!!! The info below is from the funding application that was submitted.

Summary
The Civic Arts Centre would like to develop ARTS PROJECT MANAGEMENT training opportunities for young adults i.e. aged 17 to 21. One of the roles of the Arts Centre is to ensure that young adults who want to move into a creative career are given the opportunities to learn and develop their skills.

We would like to take on five young people to manage five new projects at the Civic Arts Centre. We would be able to offer the successful candidates training in project management, marketing, promotion, budget control, finance and fund raising.

Five outline projects that the young adults would project manage:-

1. Directing a play – we would like to offer one young adult the opportunity to direct a play. They would be given the support required. They would have training in lighting, sound, staging and direction. They would be able to have one to one sessions with an experienced Director. They would be supported with marketing, licencing and documentation.

2. Photography project – We would offer one young adult the opportunity to manage this project. They would be responsible for developing the young people and would get the opportunity to work with an experienced photographer. They would have access to the photography equipment at the centre and would develop the project into an exhibition. They would learn how to manage people and budgets and deliver the exhibition.

3. History project – we would like to offer one young adult the opportunity to develop a local history project which culminated in an exhibition or an installation of art at a local venue (or at the Arts Centre). They would be responsible for managing the budget, researching the project and co-ordinating the final piece.

4. Outdoor event – we would like one young adult to co-ordinate an outdoor event. They would learn about managing acts, gaining permissions from land owners and delivering an outdoor event. They would have support with marketing, literature, licences and other planning issues.

5. Battle of the Bands – we would like to offer one young adult the opportunity to manage a battle of the bands event. They would be responsible for finding the young bands, organising running orders, setting up equipment, managing the lighting and sound, and organising promotion.

For all of the above projects they would be given guidance and support at every step of the way. They would be paid at least minimum wage for the equivalent of one day a week for at least three months. This in effect would be like them having a Saturday or part time job but with the added advantage of training them up for a future in the Creative Arts.

As part of each project they would have to manage budgets and enlist a minimum of 10 young people each to participate in the projects. They would then have to manage them, keep them engaged and encourage them as part of the skills that they will be developing. As part of their development and management of budgets they would in some cases need to raise more funds for managing their project. Again, as part of this training scheme they would be given support and guidance by an experienced person. Each young adult would be given a small starting budget to manage their project with (above their salary). If more was required, they would be given guidance about further fund raising, or they would be charged with developing a way of gaining income from the project i.e. subs from the young participants, ticket sales or entry fees.

They would also have to work as a team with each other, sharing knowledge and helping each other when appropriate. They would have regular meetings as a team when they would share progress and discuss any issues that have arisen. They would be encouraged to resolve issues as a team rather than asking for experienced people to answer but they will always have experienced project managers available to support them when needed.

The full details and the application process are on the Civic Arts Centre's website www.civicartscentre.co.uk

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-11-2011, 19:56   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Amazing job opportunities for FIVE young people

Sounds a great opportunity.

Good look to the applicants.

Look fantastic on a c.v.

Whatever your long-term plans are.

Go for it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 20:05   #3
Beacon of light

Oh, to be in the 17-21 age group! What a chance...what an opportunity.
Just a shame I am too old.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 22:05   #4
Senior Member+

said this before and i'll say it again WHY only young people when there are older people in more need of jobs and opportunities such as this. opportunities for employment and training should be made available to all NOT just government funded target groups and minority groups. surely unemployed people with families to support should be number 1 priority when it comes to re-skilling and re-employment. instead anyone over 25 is told to jog on and just get a job, sorry no help available or sorry there is no funding available to train over 25s!
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 22:31   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Whilst i can't knock whats a great opportunity, have to say theres merit in the point jedi is making.
Old 11-11-2011, 23:42   #6
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
said this before and i'll say it again WHY only young people when there are older people in more need of jobs and opportunities such as this. opportunities for employment and training should be made available to all NOT just government funded target groups and minority groups. surely unemployed people with families to support should be number 1 priority when it comes to re-skilling and re-employment. instead anyone over 25 is told to jog on and just get a job, sorry no help available or sorry there is no funding available to train over 25s!
There are also thousands of young people who are unemployed, many with excellent qualifications, who can't even get unpaid internships, to get experience, which might mean a future chance of full-time, paid employment.

I've no idea who funded this scheme at the Civic. It sounds more like something Lottery funded, than the by government. In which case any funding application would have had to specify a target group. Otherwise it would have stood little chance of being successful.

Yes, unemployment knows no age barrier. Though there's nothing wrong with targeting a particular age bracket, and any special associated needs that group may have. Be it a young, old, or in the middle age.

This scheme apparently runs for 3-4 months, and pays £5.00 per hour, for 7 hours per week.

It sounds more suitable as an entry level job, to gain some experience, for someone who perhaps won't need to rely on the thirty five quid a week it pays, to feed and house themselves, or their families.

Do you want to retrain as something, but can't?

I was lucky. I trained once only. Then I literally pounded the streets, and knocked on doors until I eventually got the job I wanted. Later, when I'd proved I was good at what I did, people came knocking on my door, offering me work.

Positivity is appealing, whatever job you're wanting to do.

I think this sounds a great opportunity, for those young people just starting out on life's long road of slog and grafting.

Good luck to 'em.

Old 12-11-2011, 00:02   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
...and I disagree totally, that 'unemployed people with families to support should be number 1 priority when it comes to re-skilling and re-employment.'

Single people, who incidentally pay more in tax when they are working, than married people with dependent children, should have equally fair access to jobs, and retraining...if needed.

You can retrain, and retrain, and retrain, but eventually it might be a case of doing any job you're lucky enough to get, that will mean you can pay your way in life.

I once had a job shovelling, rhymes with bit, in Clayton-le-Moors, before I ended up flying all over the world, meeting the great and the good. When I wasn't sat in my plush office in Knightsbridge, telling a team of assistants what to do.

Old 12-11-2011, 00:13   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
There are also thousands of young people who are unemployed, many with excellent qualifications, who can't even get unpaid internships, to get experience, which might mean a future chance of full-time, paid employment.

I've no idea who funded this scheme at the Civic. It sounds more like something Lottery funded, than the by government. In which case any funding application would have had to specify a target group. Otherwise it would have stood little chance of being successful.

Yes, unemployment knows no age barrier. Though there's nothing wrong with targeting a particular age bracket, and any special associated needs that group may have. Be it a young, old, or in the middle age.

This scheme apparently runs for 3-4 months, and pays £5.00 per hour, for 7 hours per week.

It sounds more suitable as an entry level job, to gain some experience, for someone who perhaps won't need to rely on the thirty five quid a week it pays, to feed and house themselves, or their families.

Do you want to retrain as something, but can't?

I was lucky. I trained once only. Then I literally pounded the streets, and knocked on doors until I eventually got the job I wanted. Later, when I'd proved I was good at what I did, people came knocking on my door, offering me work.

Positivity is appealing, whatever job you're wanting to do.

I think this sounds a great opportunity, for those young people just starting out on life's long road of slog and grafting.

Good luck to 'em.
the problem is that ALL opportunities like this are only available to under 25's you anyone over this age forget it! I have spent 2 years fighting to get help like this to retrain and get back to work as i cannot go back to what i trained to do, but every answer is the same 'sorry no funding' I personally believe that over 25 unemployed with a family to support should be the no. 1 target group receiving help and funding to retrain and return to work. as you know gary, much like yourself I am limited in the work that I am physically able to do which drastically reduces my options for employment and unfortunately the jobs that I can physically do I constantly get rejected as I do not posess the relevant qualifications, even though I have spent the last 2 years volunteering so as to build a new skills base and gain new experience, this however appears to be worthless without the said qualifications (or at least that is the feedback I have had from employers) . There is already an abundance of opportunities for young people such as apprenticeships through colleges/training groups and youth training schemes however if you are over 25 there is NOTHING! as we are not a priority or a target group. I also firmly believe that opportunities like this should be open to everyone and not be restrictive. Not long ago there was a thread on here slating the council for funding groups which restricted it's members to so called minorities such as ethnic only/female only etc. In my eyes this is exactly the same situation, it is ageist. And DAMN RIGHT i'd do it if it was open to me!
Old 12-11-2011, 00:24   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Single people, who incidentally pay more in tax when they are working, than married people with dependent children, should have equally fair access to jobs, and retraining...if needed.
Do they? How does that work then?
Old 12-11-2011, 00:25   #10
Give, give, give member

We'll get told off for thread wandering, but l suppose it is relevant...being about employment.

What do you need to be retrained as?

I've just been checking.

There does seem to be schemes for various age groups. I may be wrong.

I don't know, l presume this particular scheme was Lotto funded. I suspect it wouldn't have been successful if Gayle hadn't very cleverly met all the criteria involved, which does include target groups, such as the young.

Would you honestly have benefited, if you were succesful in getting on these part time jobs? How would have it increased your chances of full time work? What do you want to do?

Interested.

Old 12-11-2011, 00:35   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Different PAYE personal allowance, if you're not married/in a civil partnerships. As well as not being eligible to tax credits associated with dependent children etc.

Old 12-11-2011, 00:46   #12
Senior Member+

the key qualification for me is an nvq in information,advise and guidance which then opens the door for employability support,life skills tutoring.mentoring lifelong learning, careers advice etc etc for which i need a job that provides training as all funding for the voluntary sector has been cut this has had the knock on effect that training for qualifications was the first thing to go for pretty much most of the organisations.
Old 12-11-2011, 00:48   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
...and if you have a sugar Mummy, you'd be entitled to this too, which would reduce the amount of tax you'd pay.

Married Couple's Allowance (includes civil partnerships) : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

Old 12-11-2011, 01:07   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Different PAYE personal allowance, if you're not married/in a civil partnerships. As well as not being eligible to tax credits associated with dependent children etc.
So if your married you pay more tax?
I think married people should be able to share tax allowances.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:09   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
the key qualification for me is an nvq in information,advise and guidance which then opens the door for employability support,life skills tutoring.mentoring lifelong learning, careers advice etc etc for which i need a job that provides training as all funding for the voluntary sector has been cut this has had the knock on effect that training for qualifications was the first thing to go for pretty much most of the organisations.
Everyone is living with the effects of the cuts.

Without wishing to appear cruel, and not knowing your circumstances, if there's no access into a career you'd like to do, it might mean considering a different type of employment.

Besides, just because someone's trained as a 'life coach', or whatever, doesn't necessarily mean someone will be willing to pay for that service when qualified, which would mean full time employment.

There's hundreds of thousands of people doing jobs they don't particularly like. They do them because they have to.

Again, honestly, not being nasty, your first post was very negative, and bitter towards these part-time jobs, paying thirty-five pounds a week.

Good for them, that are lucky enough to get 'em.

If there's sadly no way to retrain for what you think you'd like to do, you have no option, but to consider an alternative career.

Getting angry, at a situation that isn't going to change, anytime soon, wont secure a NVQ in mentoring skills.

Obviously an intelligent man, you'll perhaps have to think of another path back to employment.

Besides, in a recession probably not a good area to want to get into. Life coaching, skill training, mentoring, are always the first things to have their budgets cut, so there'll be less people seeking those things.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..