Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Jobs
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Jobs Situations Vacant & Wanted/Further education/Career Advice Advertise job vacancies. Let people know you are looking for a position. Advertise your skills. Give or ask for info on Further Education. Which are good firms to work for?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2013, 18:06   #1

Available for dog walking

Hi,My name is Olivia & I am nearly 16. I am available for dog walking most evenings during the week except Wednesdays & I am available all day throughout the weekend.
I have years of experience in dog walking due to pet ownership so I also have experience in handling dogs.
I don't currently pursue dog walking for money so I don't know the average rates but would be open to suggestions.
olivia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-03-2013, 21:10   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Available for dog walking

Have you got insurance in case a dog you are walking runs off or attacks another dog? It is a big responsibility walking other people's dogs.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 03:16   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Have you got insurance in case a dog you are walking runs off or attacks another dog? It is a big responsibility walking other people's dogs.
You can get insurance for that! Sounds like a great idea. There are also special needs dogs that need expert care ... I have a deaf Jack Russell with an overactive nose, and a goofy, people-friendly Rotti. Walking the two of them together is a challenge.

By the way, good luck Olivia.
Studio25 and westendlass like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 20:21   #4

No I have no insurance as I am willing to walk people dogs by their own choice.Also pet owners are not insured for if their dog attacks another dog & seen as I will only be walking the dog it's the owners decision if they want me to take it.
Old 15-03-2013, 08:24   #5

I wouldn't worry too much about the insurance thing. You can put together a contract which absolves you of financial responsibility for their dog's behaviour, and other eventualities such as the dog escaping its lead and going missing.

You can't mandate against negligence, so if (for example) a fine is charged for the dog fouling the pavement and you don't clear it up, that would be your responsibility.

You can pick and choose your customers. Not many owners are stupid, but as with everyone it's the stupid minority that make life difficult for the rest. Anyone who gives you a detailed report of their dog's usual behaviour and likes/dislikes will probably be OK. Anyone who just hands over their dog and expects you to work it out for yourself should be approached with more caution. Anyone who gets upset that their water-loving Labrador (or whatever) comes back wet is obviously an idiot and should be avoided.

A short questionnaire about the dog's personality can be worded so it helps assess the owner's personality too.

A dog owner would probably only expect to pay the national minimum wage to start with - £3.68 per hour for someone your age. When you get a few regulars you will probably find they will pay more just to get someone they can trust and/or someone who is willing to book times that are convenient for them. There are two dogs in this house, I'd expect to have to pay more for walking them together, but not twice the rate for just walking one.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 17:33   #6

Thankyou very much for the advice and I very much agree.But unfortunately i do not as yet have any customers
Old 15-03-2013, 17:42   #7

try putting an advert in supermarket notice boards
esteemedjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 02:42   #8
God Member

Advertising on bulletin boards is a good idea; and probably free or dirt cheap It crossed my mind that there maybe some opportunity with seniors who own pets, but who aren't quite as mobile and active as they used to be. Perhaps there's a seniors' council in the area. It might be worthwhile checking in on them. There seems to be demand for the service in my home town. And it looks like there's good bucks to be made. This is one of them ... neat website too:

Kingston Pet Sitting Services : Home - Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Old 16-03-2013, 08:17   #9
Senior Member+

Try an advert in local vets and pet shops
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 08:26   #10

...or just go out for a walk. You can use the opportunity to do a bit of market research.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 11:53   #11

Are you on facebook Olivia?Advertising on facebook may help -Maybe start a business page for yourself and offer your services on some groups you're a member of or can become a member of? Or put 'DogWalker' as your middle name lol.

Studio25 makes some very good points about dog ownership.

I know my dog's previous owners let the local children walk her-that makes me think about what sort of people they were. She was very unruly when I first got her as they had given her zero training, and she's very strong. I'd have worried about her seeing a cat/squirrel/other distraction and bolting across a busy road and taking the child flying with her, or similar scenarios. There are dog owners out there who aren't responsible at all.
I personally would never want to let anybody walk her even now, after her behaviour has been addressed. I didn't let my own Mother walk her when she asked to, she's very headstrong and requires a certain way of handling-and hasn't yet learned to respond well to recall unless It's done in a specific way-but her previous owners didn't give this a thought process it seems.
Old 17-03-2013, 16:47   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
Are you on facebook Olivia?Advertising on facebook may help -Maybe start a business page for yourself and offer your services on some groups you're a member of or can become a member of? Or put 'DogWalker' as your middle name lol.

Studio25 makes some very good points about dog ownership.

I know my dog's previous owners let the local children walk her-that makes me think about what sort of people they were. She was very unruly when I first got her as they had given her zero training, and she's very strong. I'd have worried about her seeing a cat/squirrel/other distraction and bolting across a busy road and taking the child flying with her, or similar scenarios. There are dog owners out there who aren't responsible at all.
I personally would never want to let anybody walk her even now, after her behaviour has been addressed. I didn't let my own Mother walk her when she asked to, she's very headstrong and requires a certain way of handling-and hasn't yet learned to respond well to recall unless It's done in a specific way-but her previous owners didn't give this a thought process it seems.
Think you have identified another point to look at. Before walking anyone's dog, eyeball the owners. If they look like lugans (uncomplimentary Ontario term), then the animal may be difficult to handle. And one should always make sure to get a heads up on any habits a dog may have. My deaf JRT doesn't know traffic, and she likes to chase squirrels ... and we have no shortage of those in K'town.
Old 17-03-2013, 20:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Think you have identified another point to look at. Before walking anyone's dog, eyeball the owners. If they look like lugans (uncomplimentary Ontario term), then the animal may be difficult to handle. And one should always make sure to get a heads up on any habits a dog may have. My deaf JRT doesn't know traffic, and she likes to chase squirrels ... and we have no shortage of those in K'town.
I've just asked my man what that term means and he doesn't know (and he's from Toronto).
Old 18-03-2013, 17:45   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
I've just asked my man what that term means and he doesn't know (and he's from Toronto).
I hadn't noticed it until I came to Kingston. Buddy of mine, who spent time in Kingston Pen, thinks it came from the prisons. And we have lots of prisons in Kingston ... let me think, ... seven of them.

Ah, Toronto, the city Canadians love to hate. I still have a t-shirt from the time of the last referendum on Quebec seperatisme. It reads: "If Quebec Separates, Make Them Take Toronto"
Old 18-03-2013, 21:47   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I hadn't noticed it until I came to Kingston. Buddy of mine, who spent time in Kingston Pen, thinks it came from the prisons. And we have lots of prisons in Kingston ... let me think, ... seven of them.

Ah, Toronto, the city Canadians love to hate. I still have a t-shirt from the time of the last referendum on Quebec seperatisme. It reads: "If Quebec Separates, Make Them Take Toronto"
and do you still wear it?
JRT=Jack Russell?
I once had to re-train a Jack Russell , Brandy, that had gone blind, so sad but so rewarding lovely dog.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..