Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Jobs
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Jobs Situations Vacant & Wanted/Further education/Career Advice Advertise job vacancies. Let people know you are looking for a position. Advertise your skills. Give or ask for info on Further Education. Which are good firms to work for?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-10-2010, 14:45   #1
God Member

Thumbs up Want to work in the outdoors? Need some support to get started?

Accrington & Rossendale College are running a FREE 4-week course that prepares you for work in the outdoor industry.

The course will give you a taste of what is involved in working in the outdoor industry; you will develop a range of skills around teamwork, communication skills, planning and environmental awareness.

It’s a 4-week course which runs from 10am till 4pm Wednesday, Thursday and Friday each week and during the course you will assist in the delivery of an outdoor activity session and learn job search skills.

There will be a mixture of theory lessons and practical activity; you will be continually assessed whilst you create a portfolio of evidence so no exam!

Transport from the college will be provided for the practical activities but you will need suitable clothing such as waterproof top, a fleece/thick jumper, tracksuit bottoms, gloves, hat and robust footwear such as walking boots.

The course starts Wednesday 24th November and to book a place, contact Val Wood on 01254 354055 / 07811 338123 and mention the NCFE Level 1 Award in Personal Development for the Outdoor Industry.
Old 27-10-2010, 17:52   #2
God Member

Re: Want to work in the outdoors? Need some support to get started?

Bit vague isn't it ?

I can think of a few outdoor industries, street cleaning, road maintenance, traffic warden, prostitution. Is it any of those ?
Old 27-10-2010, 17:55   #3
Senior Member+

Make sure if its prostitution you go for you have got your hi viz vest.
walkinman221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 20:39   #4

Will pass that info onto my son... but not the prostitution bit!!!
Old 27-10-2010, 21:17   #5
God Member

It reads to me like some "brightspark" employed in local Govt. is trying to find a way to avoid any hassles caused by an early snowfall , a training program in the use of free shovels, during bad weather .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 11:22   #6
God Member

It is a little vague but more information can be given.

From the information I have been given, this course is for those who are interested in hill walking, rock climbing.

If you would like to know more about it, Val will be back in her office on Tuesday the 2nd of November.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:55   #7
God Member

Just a little more information for anyone interested in this course:

The qualification is made up of four units and I have listed the kind of learning outcomes for each unit.

1 Outdoor Industry Awareness

· Know the structure and organisation of the UK outdoor industry

· Know the roles and responsibilities of an outdoor industry worker

2 Develop a Personal Effectiveness Profile and Action Plan

· Participate in the development of a team based project

· Demonstrate communication and team working skills

· Identify own strengths, skills and weaknesses

· Prepare a personal action plan

3 Assist in the delivery of an outdoor activity session

· Contribute to planning an outdoor activity session

· Assist in the preparation for an outdoor activity session

· Contribute to the running of an outdoor activity session

· Assist in bringing an outdoor activity session to a close

4 Job and training search skills

· Understand where and how to search for jobs

Hope this makes it a bit clearer!
Old 13-02-2011, 06:19   #8
Junior Member+

The National Trust of course, and volunteering in wildlife programmes. Very good. I can do those courses for persons on any land mindful of safety and correct attire, and of course understanding the environment. A practical course or courses I can offer. How to understand rural environments. Dry stone walls and how they are constructed. Courses are easy to run when you have done the courses yourself in greater depth. Join a geology club, metal detector club, or Mountain Rescue. Now that is a course I would recommend. Good luck.
Historicymatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2011, 21:31   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historicymatters View Post
The National Trust of course, and volunteering in wildlife programmes. Very good. I can do those courses for persons on any land mindful of safety and correct attire, and of course understanding the environment. A practical course or courses I can offer. How to understand rural environments. Dry stone walls and how they are constructed. Courses are easy to run when you have done the courses yourself in greater depth. Join a geology club, metal detector club, or Mountain Rescue. Now that is a course I would recommend. Good luck.
I am after working with the land.

I'm looking for a suitable areas for landfill sites. Mainly in the north Lancashire/Cumbria area. As although I'll have to visit to work there, I don't want it too near to where I live.

My staff will need courses, and certificates, for Health & Saftey etc. So it could be mutually benefical to us both.

Please pm me if you hear of anything.

Thank you.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 05:02   #10
Junior Member+

Not sure how to take that one as NIMBY is a favourite for developers who do not want landfill on their doorstep. I do not agree with landfill sites and think there are alternatives. I have seen police nationally and internationally search for missing persons on such sites and it is not nice in the extreme.

But on a positive note here is a link to a twenty quid course that is affordable as distance learning.

For those really interested in working on the land lambing season will soon be upon us. I am sure many farmers need volunteers. Coppicing and land management are serious issues.

Growing Well at Low Sizergh Barn as courses of gardening insitu are on the Net.

Otley College - emagister.co.uk
Historicymatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 08:15   #11
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historicymatters View Post
I have seen police nationally and internationally search for missing persons on such sites and it is not nice in the extreme.
These landfill sites will purely be for non-recycable waste.

Disposal of missing persons will not be allowed.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 08:28   #12
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

Disposal of missing persons will not be allowed.
If the missing person is commercial waste then no recycling, straight to landfill.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..