Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Hippodrome (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/hippodrome-2795.html)

Bob Dobson 14-12-2012 12:00

Re: Hippodrome

In fact we had more than one theatre .I'm stuck for time to give details - but the Prince's, and maybe the Empire cinemas started as theatres.

Retlaw 14-12-2012 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1032077)
In fact we had more than one theatre .I'm stuck for time to give details - but the Prince's, and maybe the Empire cinemas started as theatres.

The Princess in Edgar St started its life as a theatre, I have a group photo of the actors who put on the plays there, they were known as the Accrington Stock Company, one of them joined the Pals.
He is also on a group photo of the Sergeants taken at caernarvon Castle.
I was on duty the night it burnt down, I took some photos of the interior next morning, I think I gave them to Accy Library.
What was the poster on the wall advertising the next film

hassy rvr 14-12-2012 13:09

Love the pics brought back great memories for me, my dad used to sing there was once on the same bill as Jimmy Clitheroe, he also drove Accy buses when they looked like that thanks for the memories.

steve50brown 14-12-2012 13:47

I worked on Accy buses in'68. Down in the depths of the depot was a snooker table, we used to play on when we had split shifts. Looking at the Hippodrome can't help thinking such an imposing building was lost tucked away among the terraced houses of Ellison st.Doe's anybody know when it was built and when it was demolished.Also, the back of my mind I remember a fair or circus on waste ground to the back of the building.....would that be right.

claytonx 14-12-2012 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve50brown (Post 1032103)
I worked on Accy buses in'68. Down in the depths of the depot was a snooker table, we used to play on when we had split shifts. Looking at the Hippodrome can't help thinking such an imposing building was lost tucked away among the terraced houses of Ellison st.Doe's anybody know when it was built and when it was demolished.Also, the back of my mind I remember a fair or circus on waste ground to the back of the building.....would that be right.

If you type in to Google Accrington Hippodrome,and then go down to New Hippodrome there is a lot of information. That it was built a wooden building 1903 and burnt down 1908, when a new building was then put up in brick and timber.
There a quite a lot of threads relating to the Hippodrome from 2003 including 2005 ,2007,2010,jan 2012 and the present one took me about an hour to read them but all very intresting,a little repetition which can't be avoided.

Frank T 08-05-2020 09:33

I remember going to the Hippodrome as a child to see several pantomimes in the early 50s. The last time I was in there was 1987 when we went in for a quick visit to see how the local bus fleet was maintained (at the time I was on a HGV examiners course at Accy college) To my surprise the mechanic in charge was a lad I hadn`t seen since 1959/60 when I left Rimmington Ave. in Fern Gore

cashman 08-05-2020 11:43

dont understand that frank how could yeh see how bus fleet was maintained from the hippodrome?:confused: