Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Hippodrome (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/hippodrome-2795.html)

Atarah 18-12-2003 22:52

Hippodrome

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of the Hippodrome, what a fine building it was, and the inside.... well,

Atarah 18-12-2003 22:53

Re: Hippodrome

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an inside view (hey, I am pleased to see that piccy's can be shown again!  Thanks Roy, wherever you are  :) )

ASFC1951 19-12-2003 07:32

Nice to see an Accy Corporation bus in all its glory, too. The  town is much the poorer for their loss.

janet 19-12-2003 09:51

I remember the hippodrome being there, when was it demolished atarah?

littlemo 19-12-2003 12:20

the outside of the building looks familiar, where abouts was it?

mez 19-12-2003 12:27

its nr where jewsons is , it was on the st were acc corp  garage were they kept their buses, my x used to work for them in the 60s, i think it was called  ellison st  [smiley=smile.gif] :)

Atarah 19-12-2003 23:19

Hippodrome

Hi, yes the Hippodrome was indeed down Ellison Street (which is still there) - the Accrington Corporation bus depot was at the bottom of the street.  If you look down the street now, on the right hand side, you will see a small area of grass.  Its hard to believe that this is where this amazing building was.  

Wish I had been able to go in it, it must have been some place to visit!
Atarah

Atarah 22-12-2003 11:16

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another view, showing the Hippodrome, with the bus depot at the bottom

lettie 22-12-2003 15:09

Remember going to meet my dad from work at the old bus depot on Ellison St, when I was a kid. Was fascinated by the hugh pits in the floor of the garage. They used to park the buses over them, so that the mechanics could work on the underneath of the buses by standing down the pit. :D

ASFC1951 23-12-2003 07:23

That second picture is a nice one, Atarah, but it looks to me like a black and white shot that's been tinted afterwards...and whoever did it didn't have a clue about the correct livery for Accy buses!

cashman 05-12-2006 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 42750)
Here is an inside view (hey, I am pleased to see that piccy's can be shown again!  Thanks Roy, wherever you are  :) )

jeeze just seen this, fabulous inside picture, used to play in the hippodrome as kids but was very dark inside, never realised how fabulous it was,there was trapdoors in the stage which we used to have great fun with,played there for months until one night there was a terrible tragedy.brings back happy/sad memories of childhood.

expat 16-12-2006 12:04

Hippodrome I'am curious about the word can anybody explain the meaning

garinda 16-12-2006 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by expat (Post 352637)
Hippodrome I'am curious about the word can anybody explain the meaning

Isn't it from the Greek words hippos (horse) and dromos (place), and was an arena for horse racing?

I don't think it was ever used for that in Accy though.:D

Accrington Lad 14-12-2012 11:01

We had a Theatre in Accy?
Life as a kid must have been good back then.
Accys going nowhere but downhill now. :(
(poundshops/charity shops)

lindashanks2 14-12-2012 11:57

Love the photos. Thanks Atarah. I used to visit my uncles mum when I was a kd, she lived just opposte the Hippodrome. I too used to play there, like Cashy, until that awful tragedy.

Bob Dobson 14-12-2012 12:00

In fact we had more than one theatre .I'm stuck for time to give details - but the Prince's, and maybe the Empire cinemas started as theatres.

Retlaw 14-12-2012 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1032077)
In fact we had more than one theatre .I'm stuck for time to give details - but the Prince's, and maybe the Empire cinemas started as theatres.

The Princess in Edgar St started its life as a theatre, I have a group photo of the actors who put on the plays there, they were known as the Accrington Stock Company, one of them joined the Pals.
He is also on a group photo of the Sergeants taken at caernarvon Castle.
I was on duty the night it burnt down, I took some photos of the interior next morning, I think I gave them to Accy Library.
What was the poster on the wall advertising the next film

hassy rvr 14-12-2012 13:09

Love the pics brought back great memories for me, my dad used to sing there was once on the same bill as Jimmy Clitheroe, he also drove Accy buses when they looked like that thanks for the memories.

steve50brown 14-12-2012 13:47

I worked on Accy buses in'68. Down in the depths of the depot was a snooker table, we used to play on when we had split shifts. Looking at the Hippodrome can't help thinking such an imposing building was lost tucked away among the terraced houses of Ellison st.Doe's anybody know when it was built and when it was demolished.Also, the back of my mind I remember a fair or circus on waste ground to the back of the building.....would that be right.

claytonx 14-12-2012 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve50brown (Post 1032103)
I worked on Accy buses in'68. Down in the depths of the depot was a snooker table, we used to play on when we had split shifts. Looking at the Hippodrome can't help thinking such an imposing building was lost tucked away among the terraced houses of Ellison st.Doe's anybody know when it was built and when it was demolished.Also, the back of my mind I remember a fair or circus on waste ground to the back of the building.....would that be right.

If you type in to Google Accrington Hippodrome,and then go down to New Hippodrome there is a lot of information. That it was built a wooden building 1903 and burnt down 1908, when a new building was then put up in brick and timber.
There a quite a lot of threads relating to the Hippodrome from 2003 including 2005 ,2007,2010,jan 2012 and the present one took me about an hour to read them but all very intresting,a little repetition which can't be avoided.

Frank T 08-05-2020 09:33

I remember going to the Hippodrome as a child to see several pantomimes in the early 50s. The last time I was in there was 1987 when we went in for a quick visit to see how the local bus fleet was maintained (at the time I was on a HGV examiners course at Accy college) To my surprise the mechanic in charge was a lad I hadn`t seen since 1959/60 when I left Rimmington Ave. in Fern Gore

cashman 08-05-2020 11:43

dont understand that frank how could yeh see how bus fleet was maintained from the hippodrome?:confused: