Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2004, 16:01   #16

Re: 30 years

Mick
Thanks for the pictures of the parade.I remember the pipe drum major,his name
is Frank Rosthorn.As boys [a long time ago]we both joined the C-L-B at st,
marymagdeleans as drummers.
George Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-07-2004, 17:38   #17
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Could someone please explain to me what the object of this costly exercise was supposed to be? Was it to "celebrate" 30 years of Hyndburn misgovernment or was it to formally dedicate the memorial to the Pals? I cannot see how anyone can justify mixing the two events

Surely the memorial should have been commemerated at it's own distinct and worthwhile ceremony?
There were two separate events over the weekend. One was on the Saturday which was a parade etc. The other was on the Sunday which was to dedicate the memorial.

Quote:
The call for this long-overdue reminder has not come from the local politicians but from all sorts of people over the years; the memorial itself does not appear to be complete (I would assume there are to be flagged surroundings) so why has this been rushed, other than to help to justify the Councils 30 year shindig?
It's actually in the raised gardens to the Church St side of St. James church so it does in effect have a paved area in front of it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 00:21   #18

Did you have decent weather on the Sunday? It was glorious up here.
Gobsmacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 07:39   #19
God Member

Thanks Willow for correcting my misapprehension....I'm glad it was two distinct events on saturday and sunday, although I still can't see what the point of the first one was other than to waste our money.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:57   #20

Quote:
Thanks Willow for correcting my misapprehension....I'm glad it was two distinct events on saturday and sunday, although I still can't see what the point of the first one was other than to waste our money.

It was terrble in the morning but nice in the afternoon.
slater_scott is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..