Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Accrington Pals. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/accrington-pals-3917.html)

Atarah 26-04-2004 22:23

Accrington Pals.

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, any of you out there had relatives who were in the Accrington Pals? This was my "Uncle" - Harry Kay of Water Street, Accrington. He was one of those young lads who joined up and lied about his age, desperatley wanting to fight for his country. Uncle Harry was one of the lads who came back home, although injured, and lived to a ripe old age. Lovely man he was.

Mick 26-04-2004 23:25

Re: Accrington Pals.

Is it possable to put a list of there names on ?

Atarah 27-04-2004 10:02

Sorry Mick, "Mission Impossible" - but anyone who thinks their grandparents etc. may have been a Pal, do please lets find out about them!

Tealeaf 27-04-2004 12:23

As regards the fatalities, If you visit the Pals website, then you will see "Greater Accrington Roll of Honour" on the left hand side of the screen; that divides Hyndburn up into it's constituent parts - Accrington, Church, Ossy, etc - and then lists the war dead in alphabetic order, with date and location of death, regiment/corps/service, home address. While it is "all-inclusive", nevertheless you can pick out the Pals from those of other regiments, etc. The Pals deaths are only a small proportion of the overall Accrington/Hyndburn toll of 1914-1919.

janet 27-04-2004 12:33

My grandmothers brother was killed in the first world war, his is the first name on the war memorial in oak hill park. VARLOW ADDISON.

Atarah 28-04-2004 14:39

Hi Janet, quick message. Just home from work. Couldn't find your rellie on the memorial (thats not to say its not there, just I couldn't find it!!) but ... was he from Lancashire or not? cos .. I have found

Surname - ADDISON, VARLOW
Private 13668 25/09/1915 21 South Staffordshire Regiment from United Kingdom , but his name is on Panel 73 to 76 of the LOOS MEMORIAL in France?

Atarah

Atarah 28-04-2004 14:43

Hi Janet, found these details now for you

Name: ADDISON, VARLOW
Initials: V
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment: South Staffordshire Regiment
Unit Text: 1st Bn.
Date of Death: 25/09/1915
Service No: 13668
Additional information: Son of John and Margaret Addison, of 28, Biggings Farm Green, Howarth, Accrington, Lancs.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 73 to 76
Cemetery: LOOS MEMORIAL

Atarah

janet 28-04-2004 17:21

Thanks Atarah, thats the one.Varlow's sister, my grandmother was called martha and she named her eldest daughter margaret after her mother and then she too named her daughter margaret. That's three generations with the same christian name, there may be more but i dont really know anything about my family tree.

Andrew Jackson 16-05-2004 10:05

My thanks to Tealeaf for pointing out the existence of the Greater Accrington Roll of Honour on the Pals website. The site also has a list of all those known to have joined the Accrington Pals prior to 1st July 1916:
http://www.a.jackson.btinternet.co.uk/palslist.htm

New information always appreciated!

Andrew

Tealeaf 17-05-2004 16:09

Cheers Andrew....you've got a cracking site there. I've sent you a private message.

Darby 19-05-2004 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Cheers Andrew....you've got a cracking site there. I've sent you a private message.

And I second that!!

Tealeaf 24-05-2004 08:20

I notice that there is another Pals medal going for sale on ebay.

Atarah 30-06-2004 15:57

Hi, if anyone out there is in town tomorrow and would like to go to Church Street, and take a photo - there is a lovely memorial to the Accrington Pals. Think it must just have been put there. (and .... this is specially for Mick, I DO NOT THINK you will need permission to take it!! :-)

Atarah

Tealeaf 30-06-2004 16:23

Hi Atarah..............I was under the impression that there was to be an official unveiling of the memorial. Have I missed something? It would be nice to see the pictures,though.

Mick 30-06-2004 16:25

ok i will have a look weather permitting