Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Christ Church - Improvements (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/christ-church-improvements-4447.html)

Atarah 06-06-2004 23:03

Christ Church - Improvements

Hi, on 14th June, 2004, Christ Church is to have a facelift. It will no longer look boarded up and closed, as it is to get new windows and improved coverings to the stained glass. A new second floor at the back will provide the community with first-class Children's Centre working in harmony with Lee Royd Nursery and others, and under the wing of "Sure Start Hyndburn". There will also be a brand new community room with computer/IT facilities. Building work will last for six months and so the South Street entrance will be blocked off for the duration of the work. Nice to know the building will be used, so hopefully, this church wont be pulled down as seems to be the fate of others in the area

Bazf 06-06-2004 23:41

Re: Christ Church - Improvements

Great news I rember my days as a Cub Scout at Christ Church.

Ceejache 07-06-2004 01:03

Me too as it happens.....good memories of playing 'manhunt' at oak hill park late at night.........

janet 07-06-2004 14:46

Atarah, i had not realised that Christ Church had closed, when did it happen ?

Tealeaf 07-06-2004 14:58

Looks also like it's quite a major project....I would hope the money is fully secured.

Roy 07-06-2004 15:02

OK - for the life of me I cannot think where christ church is, someone point me to the nearest boozer will you?

yerself 07-06-2004 15:24

Quote:

Roy
Quote:

OK - for the life of me I cannot think where christ church is, someone point me to the nearest boozer will you?
The Park Inn on Manchester Road

Atarah 07-06-2004 15:25

Hi Janet, no, Christ Church has NOT closed, just different things about to happen there. The church was "divided" in half many years ago, to acccommodate a smaller congregation, but its still flourishing! Its just that Sure Start are moving in as well and alterations are being made from June 14th.
Christ Church is just off Manchester Road, a little higher up than the Police Station. There is a pub at the end of the street called The Park Inn. Any help Roy?

Roy 07-06-2004 15:41

Cheers people, The Park Inn struck enough cords to remind me of the location! :)

janet 07-06-2004 16:06

Thanks Atarah.

Atarah 18-06-2004 14:20

1 Attachment(s)
Well, they have had a few porta-cabins delivered to the church, so things must be on the move. Half a million pounds is to be spent transforming Christ Church, which dates back to 1840. The church has teamed up with children's agency SURE START, who are to base an "outreach centre" at the church, with childcare and training facilities for local adults. A creche will also be provided. Sure Start Hyndburn is the local wing of a national body. The work is hoped to be completed by Christmas

Here's an old view of the grounds of the church, when the gravestones were still there.

Atarah 19-02-2005 16:15

Christ Church - just what is going on here?

Hi, just home from work. Had reason to come up Russell Street in the car and could see scaffolding around the side of the church and ......"new looking, shiny glass" where the covered over stained glasses windows were!!!! Whats going on here!
I intend to find out!

Atarah 19-02-2005 16:17

Christ Church - just what is going on here?

2 Attachment(s)
Hey! Have just noticed some "new, shiny looking glass" where once covered over, beautiful stained glass was! Whats going on here????