Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Antley reservoir (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/antley-reservoir-55592.html)

Gremlin 08-11-2010 14:13

Antley reservoir

I wonder if anybody has got a photo, or has posted one on here, of the reservoir
which was near the Church traffic lights.

I know someone who will be moving into the new development which is being built where the water once was and I would like to show her a before and after photo.

I seem to remember the cricket scores painted on a wall there but can't really recall much about it.

Atarah 08-11-2010 17:12

Re: Antley reservoir

Hello, yep, our very own Owd Bert took some photos of this area. Will mention to him, in case he is not coming onto the site on a regular basis.
Atarah

JCB 08-11-2010 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 859757)

I seem to remember the cricket scores painted on a wall there but can't really recall much about it.

I think it was the result of the Church v. Accrington match .

Gremlin 08-11-2010 18:18

Thanks for replying to my post, I will look forwards to seeing the photographs if they surface.

Did the reservoir extend to cover both sides of the railway with an embankment for the tracks? Just a vague memory of it from taking a lady friend home one evening to somewhere near where the Club has just been demolished. It looked a bit of a rough area and I was glad I was driving, needless to say I never returned.

JCB 08-11-2010 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 859839)
Thanks for replying to my post, I will look forwards to seeing the photographs if they surface.

Did the reservoir extend to cover both sides of the railway with an embankment for the tracks? Just a vague memory of it from taking a lady friend home one evening to somewhere near where the Club has just been demolished. It looked a bit of a rough area and I was glad I was driving, needless to say I never returned.

As I recall the reservoir was on both sides of the railway .

steeljack 08-11-2010 18:50

I allways thought that they were 2 separate mill lodges :confused:

Gremlin 08-11-2010 19:12

I have just been looking at plan of the area around Church on Owd Berts website and can see that there is blue both sides of the tracks. One is Antley Reservoir as we now know it and the other must be a mill lodge for the factory which later became Rists.
It shows Star print works which now is Mercer print (I had a look round today).
Through this excellent website I am getting to know more about Accrington and district than the village where I went to school. Great stuff.

katex 09-11-2010 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 859823)
I think it was the result of the Church v. Accrington match .

There's a 'photo in Geoff Taylor and Bob Dobson's book 'Accrington Acclaimed'. It has a gravestone cross saying 'We have suffered'. Then 'R.I.P. Acc.67/CCC.103' is that it ? :D

JCB 09-11-2010 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 859933)
There's a 'photo in Geoff Taylor and Bob Dobson's book 'Accrington Acclaimed'. It has a gravestone cross saying 'We have suffered'. Then 'R.I.P. Acc.67/CCC.103' is that it ? :D

Yes , that's part of the tradition .

Tealeaf 09-11-2010 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 860122)
Yes , that's part of the tradition .

Err...wrong. Past tense. It was part of the tradition. Thanks to the ineptness of HBC, the wall has now gone. We're not going to see anything whitewashed up on those tacky railings that replaced it, are we?

cashman 09-11-2010 21:03

was wondering who actually drained that res? n if they found a drop handle bicycle at the bottom of it.:dflam:

Tealeaf 09-11-2010 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 860180)
was wondering who actually drained that res? n if they found a drop handle bicycle at the bottom of it.:dflam:

Was that the one with the two wheels missing that you nicked 40 years ago?

cashman 09-11-2010 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 860206)
Was that the one with the two wheels missing that you nicked 40 years ago?

the one i was referring too had 2 wheels when it went in, or so i remember.:eek: n it was about 44 yrs ago.

Benipete 10-11-2010 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 860209)
the one i was referring too had 2 wheels when it went in, or so i remember.:eek: n it was about 44 yrs ago.

A big one at the front and a tiny one at the back?:hehetable

Benipete 10-11-2010 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 859857)
I allways thought that they were 2 separate mill lodges :confused:

No need for confusion Jack you are quite right.:)