Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Bethel Chapel "walking" crusade (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/bethel-chapel-walking-crusade-60687.html)

Karateman 13-02-2012 19:03

Bethel Chapel "walking" crusade

A Picture from the late 1920's, maybe early 30's of the Bethel Chapel congregation "walking" as we used to say.
Not sure where it is though...one clue maybe is the "Accrington Corporation" sign in the upstairs window. Maybe Blackburn Rd....I seem to remember all church Walks went along there.
Bethel was on Hyndburn Rd opposite the bottom of Park rd, in Gatty Park.

Phil

Karateman 13-02-2012 19:05

Re: Bethel Chapel "walking" crusade

1 Attachment(s)
Done it again......forgot Pic..

cashman 13-02-2012 19:25

Good pic, possibly across from top of oxford st, if its Blackburn Rd.?:confused:

walkinman221 13-02-2012 20:54

Looks like it could be on blackburn rd where you say cashy its hard to tell with the narrow angle.

cashman 13-02-2012 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkinman221 (Post 970167)
Looks like it could be on blackburn rd where you say cashy its hard to tell with the narrow angle.

Aint certain mate?, Karateman first suggested Blackburn Rd, so if it is, twas hom pointed me that way.

Karateman 13-02-2012 21:33

Assuming that they are heading towards Accy centre from maybe Church, or if they have come up Park Rd to Blackburn rd, then the Shop/houses would be on the left hand side of the road looking towards Accy.

Phil

cashman 13-02-2012 21:46

I imagined the right hand side if going towards accy, thinking as i walk on yon that way most days.:confused:

Bob Dobson 14-02-2012 08:44

I think this location is Blackburn Rd, Church somewhere near Henry St. Not far away from Ernest St Baptists' chapel. Might this have been called Bethel?

The chapel near Gatty Park was an RC one - not Bethel.

The Baptist chapel in Barnes St was known as Bethel, so this location could be somewhere near the top of Blackburn Rd Accy.

I feel some agreement with Cashy over Blackburn Rd/Oxford St.

cashman 14-02-2012 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 970217)
I think this location is Blackburn Rd, Church somewhere near Henry St. Not far away from Ernest St Baptists' chapel. Might this have been called Bethel?

The Baptist chapel in Barnes St was known as Bethel, so this location could be somewhere near the top of Blackburn Rd Accy.

I considered Church Bob, What put me off was the window wi Accrington Corp in, cos did Church not have its own council back then?:confused:

JCB 14-02-2012 09:58

Quote:

The chapel near Gatty Park was an RC one - not Bethel..

St Oswald's Catholic church next to Gatty Park was closed in 1869 when the Sacred Heart church was opened .

It was , I think , used as a warehouse until it was burnt down in a fire .

Karateman 14-02-2012 17:21

The chapel definately was situated in Gatty Park or right next to it. There were three "houses" sited at the bottom of the path that runs up the side of the park up to milnshaw park ...facing the bottom of Park Rd..I think we called it Heyes lane or something. Two are still there now with a gap in the middle. This was where the chapel was, in the middle. I think it burnt down at some point. I also know someone whose Grandma lives in one of the houses and remembers the chapel.
My mum was a regular at the chapel in the 30's and mentioned it a few times as it was the first church she attended before helping to form the methodist Church of the Nazarene. It was at the time in the 30's and 40's, when there were some large christian revival crusades, especially in the Burnley area.
I have some photos of her outside the chaple as well somewhere.
In the 50's they worshiped initially at a place on the corner of Infant st and Abbey street upstairs above what is now Maundy Grange..it was the old TOC H building. In the early 60's they moved to Peel st on the corner of the small street that used to run through to Broadway past the market probably near where Wilkinsons is now. Eventually in the late 60's they moved to York St Church in what was the old Co-op building.

I have also seen an old Accrington map which If I remember actually mentions Bethel at this location. I will try and hunt it out

Phil

Karateman 14-02-2012 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 970177)
I imagined the right hand side if going towards accy, thinking as i walk on yon that way most days.:confused:

If they are walking towards Accy centre then the row of buildings you can see must be on the left hand side and the picture taken from the right hand side .

Phil

Karateman 14-02-2012 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 970218)
I considered Church Bob, What put me off was the window wi Accrington Corp in, cos did Church not have its own council back then?:confused:

Maybe they walked on Hyndburn Rd towards Church, up Henry St and back down Blackburn Rd. Mind you not knowing the end destination, which may have been back at the Chapel, maybe they turned left down Oxford st or any one of the previous streets and then left, back along Hyndburn Rd.

Phil

Karateman 14-02-2012 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karateman (Post 970294)
Park Rd..I think we called it Heyes lane or something. Two are

Phil

Sorry just come to me, the lane was called "old Bobs" not Heyes lane..thats in Ossy...Doh

Phil

susie123 14-02-2012 17:57

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karateman (Post 970294)
The chapel definately was situated in Gatty Park or right next to it. There were three "houses" sited at the bottom of the path that runs up the side of the park up to milnshaw park ...facing the bottom of Park Rd..I think we called it Heyes lane or something. Two are still there now with a gap in the middle. This was where the chapel was, in the middle. I think it burnt down at some point. I also know someone whose Grandma lives in one of the houses and remembers the chapel.
My mum was a regular at the chapel in the 30's and mentioned it a few times as it was the first church she attended before helping to form the methodist Church of the Nazarene. It was at the time in the 30's and 40's, when there were some large christian revival crusades, especially in the Burnley area.
I have some photos of her outside the chaple as well somewhere.
In the 50's they worshiped initially at a place on the corner of Infant st and Abbey street upstairs above what is now Maundy Grange..it was the old TOC H building. In the early 60's they moved to Peel st on the corner of the small street that used to run through to Broadway past the market probably near where Wilkinsons is now. Eventually in the late 60's they moved to York St Church in what was the old Co-op building.

I have also seen an old Accrington map which If I remember actually mentions Bethel at this location. I will try and hunt it out

Phil

Bob is right in that Barnes Street chapel was called Bethel - I have a book called The Baptist Churches of Accrington & District by Robert J V Wylie which was written in 1923 and it confirms that.

I have been trying to decipher the words on the banner - it clearly says Bethel Crusades or Crusaders in the middle and Saved to Serve at the bottom and possibly Accrington at the top, but words in the middle of the circle are unclear apart from Always.

Is it possible that the banner does not refer to a chapel called Bethel but to a movement within a chapel with a different name?