Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Today in pictures (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/today-in-pictures-61576.html)

Gremlin 10-10-2021 21:00

Re: Today in pictures

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 58400We have just had a few days at Fort William and enjoyed a ride on the Jacobite train, taking photos hanging out of a moving carriage isn't the easiest trick.
On previewing my post which included another 7 photos I find they they have been discarded due to a security issue so unfortunately I can't share the rest of my holiday with you.

Gremlin 10-10-2021 21:04

3 Attachment(s)
Commando memorial between Fort William and Fort Augustus.
Gondola ride up the Nevis range. Taken from a swaying gondola through Perspex doesn't show the real beauty of Scotland.Attachment 58401

DaveinGermany 11-10-2021 18:21

Spean Bridge is where the Commando memorial is & just down the road is a little museum dedicated to the Commandoes explaining their initial forming & training early on in the war years.

Gremlin 11-10-2021 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1258373)
Spean Bridge is where the Commando memorial is & just down the road is a little museum dedicated to the Commandoes explaining their initial forming & training early on in the war years.

I don’t know how long it’s been since you visit the memorial but they’ve improved the car park including coach bays.
Also a memorial garden which was well tendered with wreathes etc.
We didn’t go down to the museum this time.

Ryewolf90 19-10-2021 11:23

5 Attachment(s)
It was the East Lancs Railway steam gala over the weekend (fri 15th to Sun 17th Oct), just a few that I've processed so far.

Ryewolf90 19-10-2021 13:21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LGmCvk3gw

Margaret Pilkington 10-11-2021 15:10

2 Attachment(s)
Today I had to go into Blackburn.
I spotted quite a gathering near the Cathedral....where the bus station used to be...many moons ago.
I thought I would go and see what they were all looking at.
It was the statue of The Knife Angel.
I thought it was worth a picture..or two.
here they are.
I am hoping to visit again with a better camera to get some more pictures of this creation...it is really impressive and listening to one of the volunteers telling the story of how it came to be made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Margaret Pilkington 10-11-2021 17:48

The pics aren’t that good as they were taken on a borrowed phone.
When I go again I will take a good camera.

odders 16-11-2021 19:46

I remember seeing this, I think it was Gateshead definitely on the Tyne. Amazing piece of work. I don't know the exact history (go look on google). I'm sure all the knives are a part of some form of criminality. Thank God they are off the streets. It's an impressive sculpture.

Margaret Pilkington 16-11-2021 21:23

Just for you Odders.
The Work is by a young man called Alfie Bradley.
It took 4years to make….and was made at The British Ironworks Centre in Coventry(I think)
There are 100,000 knives in the work.
These were collected at 200 collection points all over the country…..some of them may have been used in criminal acts….but they were all surrendered knives.
Families who were affected by knife crime were given an opportunity to put an inscription on blades in the wings.
80 families took advantage of this and had messages engraved on the blades.
All of the blades were blunted before they went into the sculpture.
This figure is on Display near the Cathedral until November 30th when it will move on to the next venue.
The aim of the work is to raise awareness of knife crime.
In Lancashire this is rare with only 1% of reported crimes involving a knife.

All of the above information was told to the people who visited the statue, by a LCC volunteer.
She must have been good because I remembered it all.

odders 16-11-2021 22:44

If I can get to Blackburn town cent, I will go look. I thought so about the reason for making it.

It's very poignant, good to see it's going through towns. Its hopefully awake up call to a few. Is the police station on the railway across. Sure they would take a knife off anyone who would rather not carry o e anymore.?

Margaret Pilkington 17-11-2021 07:25

Odders, not sure about the police near the station….but below the statue there is a secure knife surrender box.
This is not just for the surrender of knives used for criminal purposes, but can be used for anyone who has a domestic knife that needs safe disposal.
Yes of course you could put it in your recycling bin, but then how do you prevent harm to those people who deal with this type of waste…it could be a hazard to them.
I know that the few knives I have disposed of, my other half has cut off the blade and rendered it safer with an angle grinder….but a safe disposal box is a better idea.

Ryewolf90 23-11-2021 15:24

5 Attachment(s)
1. & 2. Waggon & Maschinenbau Diesel Railbus M79964
3. - 5. LMS Black 5 45212 at Oxenhope, Oakworth and Haworth

shillelagh 14-12-2021 23:05

5 Attachment(s)
accrington today about 4pm

cashman 15-12-2021 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 1261184)
accrington today about 4pm

did not recognise probably cos it looks good.:D