Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Clarks Stores (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/clarks-stores-61735.html)

susie123 18-06-2012 14:07

Clarks Stores

Came across this lovely photo on Flickr just now.

Accrington shop | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Can't upload it as it is copyright. Does anyone have any idea where it might be. Looks like late forties/early fifties to me. And there is a number 2 over the door - but what street/road?

maxthecollie 18-06-2012 14:33

Re: Clarks Stores

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 998382)
Came across this lovely photo on Flickr just now.

Accrington shop | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Can't upload it as it is copyright. Does anyone have any idea where it might be. Looks like late forties/early fifties to me. And there is a number 2 over the door - but what street/road?

Could it be Abbey Street?

MargaretR 18-06-2012 14:46

That brick kerb edge to the pavement might identify it - I didn't know any like that.

susie123 18-06-2012 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 998391)
That brick kerb edge to the pavement might identify it - I didn't know any like that.

Good point Margaret.

Margaret Pilkington 18-06-2012 15:00

It isn't familiar to me. I used to walk along Abbey street to school in the mid fifties....I can't recollect it.

susie123 18-06-2012 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 998396)
It isn't familiar to me. I used to walk along Abbey street to school in the mid fifties....I can't recollect it.

Me too Margaret - perhaps our paths crossed then!

Margaret Pilkington 18-06-2012 15:11

Susie, you never know!

susie123 18-06-2012 15:17

I've been looking up Ticky Snacks and came across this, which actually places the photo as pre-war:

This company was founded in 1926 by Henry Telfer Thompson and his wife, trading initially under the name "Ticky Snacks Ltd". The company's "mission", apparently, was to supply meat pies to the masses; its lead product in the early days was a meat pie called the "Ticky Snack" - "Made as Muvver makes 'Em".

The standards of cleanliness in the company were, at the start, dubious; but profits were reasonable. Thus it was that "Ticky Snacks" came to the attention of J. Lyons & Co - the British tea giant, controlled at the time by the Salmon family - who purchased a majority interest in the company in 1933; by 1938, "Ticky Snacks Ltd" was a wholly-owned subsidiary of Lyons, and abandoned the "Ticky" name in favour of "Henry Telfer Ltd".

Lyons investment (principally in a new factory) greatly improved production conditions - although, for a time, the Lyons group as a whole were reluctant to associate their brands (produced under pristine conditions for the time) with those of their new subsidiary.

The war was really good for Telfer. By 1940, the company was supplying huge quantities of their cheap and (more or less) cheerful pies and other snack products to publicly funded or supported enterprises contributing to the war effort, including various food support programmes, workers' canteens and - not least - the British Army. Enormous numbers of Telfer's pies were fed to the troops returning from Dunkirk who, after what they had been through, were no doubt duly grateful. Many of them would have been familiar with the good old "Ticky Snack" as a treat enjoyed in happier, pre-war days.

susie123 18-06-2012 15:20

There is an attached building on the lhs of the photo, with the bicycle leaning against it. That suggests that if the shop were number 2, the end of the street was on the right of the photo.

susie123 18-06-2012 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 998391)

It's a good advert for Nori.

alucy0210 09-04-2015 06:47

Thank you.
goldenslot บนมือถือ

wadey 10-04-2015 12:33

I collected vintage dog photographs for more than forty years, Selections from my collection were published by Bloomsbury in a series of four books: ‘Prince and Other Dogs’ ‘Prince and Other Dogs II’ ‘Postcard Dogs’ and ‘These Were Our Dogs’. I am also the author, with Tom Phillips of ‘Postcard Cats’, published by Bloomsbury.

A book of my hundred (and twelve) favourite photographs is now available from Blurb.

Her Flickr profile, she doesn't allow comments on her photo stream which is a bit odd

wadey 10-04-2015 12:39

1 Attachment(s)
Pinched a copy for you to have a look at