Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Mill Street, Accrington (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/mill-street-accrington-61743.html)

lindashanks2 19-06-2012 19:34

Mill Street, Accrington

Hi, does anyone have any photos of Mill Street, Accrington. This was at the top of Barnes Street, across from the dairy. A small street with small houses, 2 up, 1 down with a lean to kitchen, and tipper toilet at the bottom of the communal yard, shared with Barnes Street. [the yard, not the loo!!] I lived at number 24 until I was 3 and would love to see a pic. Must have been where poundstretcher is now.

Retlaw 19-06-2012 20:13

Re: Mill Street, Accrington

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindashanks2 (Post 998671)
Hi, does anyone have any photos of Mill Street, Accrington. This was at the top of Barnes Street, across from the dairy. A small street with small houses, 2 up, 1 down with a lean to kitchen, and tipper toilet at the bottom of the communal yard, shared with Barnes Street. [the yard, not the loo!!] I lived at number 24 until I was 3 and would love to see a pic. Must have been where poundstretcher is now.

Think your only chance is Accy Library.

lindashanks2 19-06-2012 21:04

Thanks. I will go and have a look. I have a picture in my mind, just want to see if i'm right.

Atarah 20-06-2012 20:49

Would you say it was off Stanley Street and Gillies Street?

Retlaw 20-06-2012 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 998896)
Would you say it was off Stanley Street and Gillies Street?

It was a continuation of Gillies St, and was 1st right going up Stanley St, from Pitt St.

lindashanks2 20-06-2012 21:31

It was first right going up Barnes Street as I remember. So yes, near Stanley Street and Gillies Street.

Atarah 20-06-2012 21:39

Mill Street, Accrington

1 Attachment(s)
Right, going off Retlaw's description, could this old photo be of any use? I think it could show a bit of the street you are after.

Atarah

Retlaw 20-06-2012 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindashanks2 (Post 998913)
It was first right going up Barnes Street as I remember. So yes, near Stanley Street and Gillies Street.

Before they built East Gate, If you are going up Barnes St, from Abbey St, then Mill St was 2nd left. Now Barnes St, is chopped in bits with East Gate.
The first bit on the left after the traffic lights at the bottom of Avenue Parade, into the
shopping area, is probably the part your on about, under the car wash place.
Retlaw.

lindashanks2 21-06-2012 09:06

My brothers used to say we lived just by the lamp post in front of Poundstretcher!!!!! I remember if you came out of the communal yard by the gate at the bottom, you were in Barnes Street just across from the chippy. Atarah thanks for the photo. Still trying to work it out.

katex 21-06-2012 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 998914)
Right, going off Retlaw's description, could this old photo be of any use? I think it could show a bit of the street you are after.

Atarah

Is that Associated Dairies, Atarah ?

Adrian Shurmer still lists Mill Street, but as this:

'No longer exists. Was off Stanley Street and Gillies Street but is now part of Associated Dairies (enclosed property)'

1983 edition.

Retlaw 21-06-2012 12:25

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lindashanks2 (Post 998948)
My brothers used to say we lived just by the lamp post in front of Poundstretcher!!!!! I remember if you came out of the communal yard by the gate at the bottom, you were in Barnes Street just across from the chippy. Atarah thanks for the photo. Still trying to work it out.

Is this better

lindashanks2 21-06-2012 15:15

Thats a good pic. Thanks Retlaw. I have a vague idea where I am looking for on that map... Thanks again.

Linda

Bob Dobson 21-06-2012 16:21

It is clear that you will not be able to drive there, but Shanks'pony is definitely OK Any relation
to the Shanks' who lived 1t 50 Dowry St?

In 1951 Mill St houses ran from 2 to 24. No odd numbers

cashman 21-06-2012 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 998972)
It is clear that you will not be able to drive there, but Shanks'pony is definitely OK Any relation
to the Shanks' who lived 1t 50 Dowry St?

In 1951 Mill St houses ran from 2 to 24. No odd numbers

When did they live at 50 Dowry St Bob? That musta been top house on block facing Whittakers Foundry, I lived at 58 from the mid 50s, n can recall n owd lass living yon, near sure that was a Missus Shanks?:confused:

Bob Dobson 21-06-2012 18:24

In the 40s & 50s. Next door to my grandma Dobson (48) The house was at the corner with Bradshaw St. Mr Shanks was Arthur, a collier. They had a grandson, Tommy who got called Shanks, though he was actually Taylor, and he went to St John's. If still wick, he will be 70 now.