Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accy Photos (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/)
-   -   Oswaldtwistle String Band... (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f73/oswaldtwistle-string-band-63876.html)

Karateman 26-03-2013 18:47

Oswaldtwistle String Band...

2 Attachment(s)
Anyone ever heard of a String Band in Oswaldtwistle at the turn of the century. I have a couple of pictures of the band with one of them with the words..."String Band at Stanhill Osw 1907". The other I think could be a couple of years later.
I suspect I have a relative somewhere in the picture, but would like some info on the band if possible and where in Stanhill it was taken.

cashman 26-03-2013 18:52

Re: Oswaldtwistle String Band...

Good pics, Jaysay may be able to help, The little un in middle front is him.:D

susie123 26-03-2013 19:11

1 Attachment(s)
Hiya Phil, long time no see!

Great photos, didn't know King Edward VII played the cello! Sorry can't help you with these pics, but I have one of my own to add to the mix.

It's a bit later than yours... the lad at the front in short trousers is my dad, he was born on the last day of 1909 so I think the date would be early 20s. On the back it says Huncoat, Easter but not the year! Very frustrating.

Bob Dobson 26-03-2013 19:40

There were several bands in the area at that time. I haven't heard of the Ossie one. Accrington library have some photos of, amongst others, the Robert Cunliffe Orchestra so it may be worth looking at them to spot people whose names may be known. Similarly, Blackburn Library may have pics too, as an Ossie band may well have its photo in the Blackburn papers. Their name may come up in the '19th century Newspapers' facility on the County Library's website. I fancy the larger group pic may have been taken in Rhyddings Park , if it was open at that time.

Susie. If you will send me the pic, I will forward it to John Goddard, Huncoat historian.

susie123 26-03-2013 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1049173)
There were several bands in the area at that time. I haven't heard of the Ossie one. Accrington library have some photos of, amongst others, the Robert Cunliffe Orchestra so it may be worth looking at them to spot people whose names may be known. Similarly, Blackburn Library may have pics too, as an Ossie band may well have its photo in the Blackburn papers. Their name may come up in the '19th century Newspapers' facility on the County Library's website. I fancy the larger group pic may have been taken in Rhyddings Park , if it was open at that time.

Susie. If you will send me the pic, I will forward it to John Goddard, Huncoat historian.

Oh dear, apologies, memory playing tricks. Bob's post prompted me to get the photo out and have another look... it does indeed say Huncoat on the back, but Whit Monday 1924, not Easter. At least we have a date, my dad would have been 14 - and still in short pants!

Karateman 26-03-2013 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1049170)
Hiya Phil, long time no see!

Great photos, didn't know King Edward VII played the cello! Sorry can't help you with these pics, but I have one of my own to add to the mix.

It's a bit later than yours... the lad at the front in short trousers is my dad, he was born on the last day of 1909 so I think the date would be early 20s. On the back it says Huncoat, Easter but not the year! Very frustrating.

Hi,
good to be back...lol

I'de say he looks about 11 so would be as you say about 1920.....

susie123 26-03-2013 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karateman (Post 1049187)
Hi,
good to be back...lol

I'de say he looks about 11 so would be as you say about 1920.....

Read on... he's 14 - see post no 5.

Karateman 26-03-2013 21:37

Even though the pics are different Its obviously the same band as some of the musicians are in both photos.Two of the boys are still in the band and in the larger one they look about a year or two older. I suspect the location is the same in both pics whether it be Stanhill as it says in one pic or even Rhyddings park. Could that be Park lane at the back then maybe?

Phil

Karateman 26-03-2013 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1049185)
it does indeed say Huncoat on the back, !

So that prompts the obvious question....whereabouts in Huncoat?

susie123 26-03-2013 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karateman (Post 1049193)
So that prompts the obvious question....whereabouts in Huncoat?

Did they do Whit walks in Huncoat, and if so which day? Might have been connected with that. Could be outside a church.

Bob Dobson 27-03-2013 08:06

There is likely a report, with photos, in the Observer. I have checked a book I published -'Huncoat Uncoated' by John Gopddard, but the photo isn't in there.

downtown 12-10-2014 07:51

I was in Accrington Reference Library on Friday researching 'string bands' in Lancashire and after searching on the computer found your website. The following information is from Stanhill Village website and maybe helpful.

In an extract from ‘Old Homesteads of Accrington and District’ by Richard Ainsworth published in 1928 a reference is made to church musicians. “A time-honoured custom, celebrated every year on the first Sunday in May, is the charity sermons at Stanhill, really the Sunday School Anniversary known far and wide as Stanhill Fair. The school children parade the village in their best attire, sing in front of Stanhill Hall and at various points in the village, accompanied by a string band-surely reminiscent of days when the cello, flute and violin were the accompaniment of old-time Psalm and sacred song.X

downtown 12-10-2014 07:55

The photograph of the string band in Huncoat is interesting. Was the band attached to a church? Many of the string bands of that period also played for dancing, do you know anymore about them?