Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-09-2004, 06:50   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: A rainy day in the town centre.

Oh Tricia you brought back memories there with Flash Gordon. He was one of my first heroes too.

No, there isn't a disabled parking space there now because only buses are meant to go along the bit from Broadway to Peel Street. The nearest is round the other side of the Town Hall at the end of Broadway and is approached via Union St due to Broadway being pedestrian. If you come into town along Blackburn Rd the only option open is to turn round at Broadway and head back out again! It isn't easy driving round/through/across town.

Do you mean oatcakes Alan? I haven't had one since the new outdoor market was finished. Pigs trotters are available to order, not on general sale, but savoury ducks are still to be had from the tripe stall. Cumberland sausages are generally available and black peas are sold from the little truck thing which the council wanted doing away with because in their opinion it lowered the tone of the area. This area? lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AccySept22 2004 005a.JPG (59.8 KB, 37 views)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-09-2004, 22:37   #17

Thanks, WTW. Yes oatcakes, I used to love em, some say they tasted like cardboard, but with butter & jam, yum yum. The new broadway I quite like the new building, looks like an old wharehouse that has been transformed. Where did they get the stone from. Also the building on the left, is that the old Odeon renovated, or is it brand new. Are there any cinemas in the centre anymore ?.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2004, 22:46   #18
Resident Waffler

Its brand new. It was JJB sports when it was first built, very similar in exterior shape to the old Odeon but now they've moved over the way into the new block. There's a Boots and a card shop down the side of the new building and it leads into the Arndale Centre

Old 24-09-2004, 13:11   #19
Resting in peace

Can you really still get black peas? I haven't thought of them for years, but now my mouth is watering. Is that the van thing in front of the market hall, or somewhere else?
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 13:13   #20
Resident Waffler

The last time I got some was back in January I think. It was on Broadway then.

Old 24-09-2004, 17:02   #21
God Member

The whole thing is built with cleverly disguised concrete, not stone. Stone would be too expensive. Despite the fact that the town is ringed with quarries. So we have to make do with a pastiche instead of the real thing. I think this is what Britcliffe calls keeping it 'plain and simple' which is HBC-speak for 'cheap and nasty'.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 24-09-2004 at 17:03.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 17:06   #22
Resting in peace

I always remember my uncle's description of Accrington Town Hall -

Queen Anne front, Mary Ann back.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2004, 17:18   #23
Resident Waffler

You're not related to me are you Pendy? My Dad used to say the very same thing!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..