Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2004, 09:09   #1
Senior Member+

Abbey Street, Accrington

Hi, dont think anyone looking at this will remember this view, but its interesting to look at. I walk down this stretch of road every single day. The Wesley school is to the left, a garage being on its site now. On the right you can see the Swan Pub, then the New Jerusalem church, then you can see property which was known as "Briggs Yard" - a garage also covers this site.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abbeystreet3.jpg (62.6 KB, 252 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 26-01-2004 at 09:15.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-01-2010, 14:14   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Abbey Street, Accrington

take away the street lights n tramlines n hoss n carts n sure was like that 50s early 60s? think it was around 65 when church on left of photo was demolished, i was living at Black Annies on Birtwistle st n passed it every day around that time,

Last edited by cashman; 28-01-2010 at 14:20.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 14:45   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi, dont think anyone looking at this will remember this view, but its interesting to look at. I walk down this stretch of road every single day. The Wesley school is to the left, a garage being on its site now. On the right you can see the Swan Pub, then the New Jerusalem church, then you can see property which was known as "Briggs Yard" - a garage also covers this site.
The Wesley Church was demolished in 1966.
Brigg's yard was behind those properties on the right, one of them had been inhabited by Beesley the Charterist, round the back in Brigg's yard was an old stone staicase which led to the rooms where Accrington's first Co-operative society was born.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 14:53   #4
Senior Member+

Trying to date the photo: There are tram lines down, so it is not before 1886. There are no overhead electric wires, so it is before 1907.

Briggs' Yard had an arched entrance off Abbey Street.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 15:39   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Trying to date the photo: There are tram lines down, so it is not before 1886. There are no overhead electric wires, so it is before 1907.

Briggs' Yard had an arched entrance off Abbey Street.
Well, whatever year it was the piccy was taken morning/early afternoon in spring/summer.

Any ideas what that lady with the big hat is doing, standing up in the fancy dog cart?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 16:09   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Well, whatever year it was the piccy was taken morning/early afternoon in spring/summer.

Any ideas what that lady with the big hat is doing, standing up in the fancy dog cart?
probably morning n shes just getting ready to alight fer a court appearance
Old 28-01-2010, 16:38   #7
I am Banned

Quote:

Thats not a fancy dog cart its a milk float.
My question is in the attached picture.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abbeystreet3.jpg (84.0 KB, 58 views)
Old 28-01-2010, 17:19   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
take away the street lights n tramlines n hoss n carts n sure was like that 50s early 60s? think it was around 65 when church on left of photo was demolished, i was living at Black Annies on Birtwistle st n passed it every day around that time,

BLACK ANNIES????? Do tell!!!!
Old 28-01-2010, 17:27   #9
Senior Member+

This may be a silly suggestion, but at least I am trying. When the King and Queen visited Broadoak Printworks in (think about 1913) they erected a "bridge" for them to drive through at the works. Maybe, just maybe, they also made a temporary bridge along Abbey Street. I have to say I have never heard of one, but ... I am trying! (if you squint your eyes, it DOES look like a bridge!)

Last edited by Atarah; 28-01-2010 at 17:29.
Old 28-01-2010, 17:38   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
This may be a silly suggestion, but at least I am trying. When the King and Queen visited Broadoak Printworks in (think about 1913) they erected a "bridge" for them to drive through at the works. Maybe, just maybe, they also made a temporary bridge along Abbey Street. I have to say I have never heard of one, but ... I am trying! (if you squint your eyes, it DOES look like a bridge!)
Isn't there a photograph in the Jubilee book on the visit to Broad Oak.

That in the picture looks like a stone structure and a big one at that.

The Royals would have arrived at Broad Oak in a Rolls Royce.

Retlaw.
Old 28-01-2010, 18:41   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
BLACK ANNIES????? Do tell!!!!
ya know now.
Old 29-01-2010, 10:10   #12
Senior Member+

My first thought was that this is a ceremonial arch. It would have to be big enough for a tram to get under, though in the steam tram days they may have been single-deckers only. In 1887 Queen Victoria's 50yrs on the throne was celebrated.I have not seen any photos of any arches in Accrington.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 10:10   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Thats not a fancy dog cart its a milk float.
My question is in the attached picture.

Retlaw.

Errr......wrong, Mr Retlaw. That's a hand pushed milk float on the left of the picture and those are two dog carts on the right of the picture. Read or watch your Sherlock Holmes - there are numerous references to dog carts there (a light, two wheeled horse drawn vehicle).

Whats the difference between a (horsedrawn) cart and a wagon? Well, a wagon has four wheels and would be drawn by two, four or more horses and in answer to your question of what is in the background of the picture the answer is quite simple: it is the back of a heavily-laden wagon - possibly loaded with hay or cotton bales. Set against a hazy backdrop, it does play a trick of suggesting a railway arch - but we all know there was not one there, don't we.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 10:17   #14

As always, superb pics, can I ask where you get them all from ??? it would be superb if there was a huge online library if you will to browse through them all
Bob97531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2010, 11:33   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
Errr......wrong, Mr Retlaw. That's a hand pushed milk float on the left of the picture and those are two dog carts on the right of the picture. Read or watch your Sherlock Holmes - there are numerous references to dog carts there (a light, two wheeled horse drawn vehicle).
Thats a milk float look at the size of the wheels, why is she stood up, the one behind looks like Bunny Barnes's little cart.
And I do watch fims about my uncle Sherlock.
Whats the difference between a (horsedrawn) cart and a wagon? Well, a wagon has four wheels and would be drawn by two, four or more horses and in answer to your question of what is in the background of the picture the answer is quite simple: it is the back of a heavily-laden wagon - possibly loaded with hay or cotton bales. Set against a hazy backdrop, it does play a trick of suggesting a railway arch - but we all know there was not one there, don't we.
Look at the picture again, there are not supposed to be any straight lines in nature, and that is a straight line with what looks like an archway. If thats a wagon its a dammed big one from that perspective.
Retlaw.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..