Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Pictures > Accy Photos
Donate! Join Today

Accy Photos Lets see some of your good Accrington photos. Please refrain from uploading copyrighted pictures! Also, if anyone has any photo requests, maybe some of our users could get them for you.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2004, 12:35   #1
Senior Member+

Accrington lad who became world famous artist

Ever heard the name Gerard De Rose?

Gerard was an Accrington born lad, whose father was of Russian descent. He was born at "Carrara Cottage" in Oxford Street, the house still being there to this day. The house was named by his grandfather, Mr Tom Dean, a well known mason in his time, who made old-style marble fireplaces and ornaments. The name "carrara" is derived from Italian-style masonry work.

The old Grammar School which used to be along Blackburn Road once was known as the "Accrington School of Art and Crafts" and here he excelled in art. He won a State Scholarship in Art and attended the Royal College of Art in London. Whilst there WW2 broke out and he had to put his studies on hold. Later he resumed his studies at the Royal College and became a lecturer. His portrait painting became well known and he painted many famous people i.e. The then Duke of Bedford, Julie Christie, Charlie Drake, Ken Dodd, Mick Jagger and Morecambe and Wise (if you look closely, you can see M and W on the photo I have included).
His self portrait and a portrait of his wife are still in Haworth Art Gallery, although not always on public showing.
Thats Gerard on the front row, left hand side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gerardderose.JPG (38.1 KB, 331 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 20-01-2004 at 12:40.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-09-2007, 12:28   #2

Re: Accrington lad who became world famous artist

I had met Gerard a few times when I was a boy, and it was very unusual, I went to St.Andrews in those days when Les Dean was Headmaster, unknown to me that he was related to the lady that lived at the cottage (Nelly Dean) and I used to run a few errands for her you cannot imagine the embarrassment when I called round one day and Les Dean answered the door I thought I had done something wrong untill the lady explained that I did errands for when invited in I was intoduced to Gerard apparently he was Les Dean's cousin I think the the Lady was Les's auntie but not sure whether she was Gerard's mum or not
sorry to have waffled on
your doing a great job
thanks
tony
Tony Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 13:40   #3
Senior Member+

slightly of thread and by no means sarky
but... was nellie dean the one the famous
song was wrote about
theres an old mill by the stream nellie dean ?

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 15:17   #4
Senior Member+

sorry tony
nellie dean ..was written 1905
henry w armstong...
amazing what you can google with a bit of time

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 09:49   #5

I nearly had put Mrs Dean in my post thinking you might have thought it a wind up
thanks
tony
Tony Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 01:14   #6
Give, give, give member

Gerard de Rose's painting of Vladimir (Lolita) Nabokov, 1969.

Dominic Winter Book Auctions- Illustrations [saledate]

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 21:17   #7

My mother Gladys, who has now passed away told me a few times about how in the early part of last century, probably would be just after the war, her brother Richard I think maybe aged about 8 ish regularly used to play with Gerard at their home in Oxford street. I seem to remember his parents were very protective of him and would only let a small number of children play with Gerard, my uncle obviously being one of them. Why my uncle I'm not sure, maybe they were a very influential family in the area. I seem also to recall her saying something like "he would be summond" to go and play with him, but its a bit vague to be honest....

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..